Been bored, waiting to see NEW HMD's soooo!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Been bored, waiting to see NEW HMD's soooo!

Post by VRgamesterz »

I decided to build a Ultimate Reality Gun.........

Haha, no 3d yet but im sure it can be done soon.
What I've done was use the Trimersion gun and tracker from the helmet, im trying as we speak to get some Spacepoint 3D sensors from the company, i'd rather use those for aiming instead of what trimersion was using, works ok but I think Spacepoint would be better.

Im using the PicoP samsung H03, pretty neat little PJ good clear and bright enough picture.

Made a screen 10x18, same size as one of my LCD desktop monitors.
Image is 28inches away, not heavy at all because I used alluminum pipe, hope I spelled it right. For now the tracking is behind the screen in the pic. Right now in one pic you see just the battery, the PJ snaps inplace.

This is something between the Game Gun and Microvisions Gun. I just feel if you want to do FPS games then this is how it should be done, call it the monitor on the move!

Oh that goof ball in the pic isn't me lol..
Ku
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VRgamesterz on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Been bored, waiting to see NEW HMD's soooo!

Post by cybereality »

Nice, man! Good job. So how does it play? Any particular games that work well with it? Did you try with stereo 3d (even just anaglyph)?
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Hey Cyber!

It's native Res is 1280x800 so if most games can do that res it looks great, if not I scale it to 1024x768, but I got to use Painkiller, COD4 series, hooked up quake3 jsut get the feel of running around. Tracking from the trimersion stinks to all end, can't get it from drifting down, NO luck from Spacepoint 3D, they aren't budging selling those like before so Im trying a few of my gyration mouses I have laying around but need them to fully charge. I haven't tried any 3d , but I will try to see if it will do Ana, im looking to try out the Vivitek Qumi that will be coming out in May, alittle over a 1lb and 6inches wide compaired to the Samsung being so small but it does HD at 300 lumens and has D-link for 3D they say. Im gonna be doing more testing on how much weight is exceptible on the gun where the PJ sits. If it's not to heavy to hold im looking for that bad boy when they release it.

Now when using the D-link setup for 3D do I have to use Nvidia equipment?

Im getting ready to do some videos of me playing up on youtube, I'll let you know when they are up..

Ku
Last edited by VRgamesterz on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very cool man. Can't wait to see the video.

Also, if you need a pair of anaglyph glasses, I am sending paper ones out for free. Just hit me up with a PM and I will send you the glasses.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Great job VRgamesterz!
VRgamesterz wrote: Im getting ready to do some videos of me playing up on youtube, I'll let you know when they are up..
Looking forward to it! :)
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:Great job VRgamesterz!
VRgamesterz wrote: Im getting ready to do some videos of me playing up on youtube, I'll let you know when they are up..
Looking forward to it! :)
Hows that hillcrest freespace tracker Johnny? How are you using it and what for?

I just found that site, pretty cool! What device should I try to put on this gun? Are these plug and play setups? No software codes needed?

Big question to all that might help before I purchase, Im using the trimersion receiver so I can still use the keyboard function of the gun, I see in controll panel the gyration device icon, it shows for both keyboard/mouse , do you think there will be a conflict with another device connected looking the same?

Ku
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Good job but the screen seems a little large and unwieldy? One day i might cobble one together with a 7/8 inch screen and have a fresnel in front of it.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Okta wrote:Good job but the screen seems a little large and unwieldy? One day i might cobble one together with a 7/8 inch screen and have a fresnel in front of it.
You'd almost need a microscope (not just lens) for a 7/8th inch screen!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

android78 wrote:
Okta wrote:Good job but the screen seems a little large and unwieldy? One day i might cobble one together with a 7/8 inch screen and have a fresnel in front of it.
You'd almost need a microscope (not just lens) for a 7/8th inch screen!
Oops i meant 7 or 8 inch :)
Also given thought to using a pico projector to shine through a lens onto a kind of inner umbrella/jdome like shape but hand held like a game gun.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

The screen is very very light, and it slides in the slot and is tight in place, 10x18 I don't think is that big, it's the same as your 18" flat pretty much.

I was thinking of having the PJ at the end of the gun and have a see-through screen and use a fresnel lens but I needed to keep this simple

I ordered some Hillcrestlabs freespace motion interface, thanks to Johnny M for pointing me to this. Once I have this inplace, I'll get some videos up just to show how it plays out.

The Samsung sits on the battery so I can have it charged for awhile but I will always have the vga cable connected and the usb cable for the motion interface, 2 cables at the most and when I used it for awhile the VGA didn't get in the way and it didn't pull the gun at all. Wireless would be great but it's just to much right now and im sure laggy at times.

Thats all for now..

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”