Virtual Viewer 3D - from vrealities ?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Virtual Viewer 3D - from vrealities ?

Post by ancjob »

Guys
I am so curious abt this HMD from vrealities [ http://www.vrealities.com/virtualviewer3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

Has anybody tried this

1)is the FOV really 35 ?
2)does this have great brightness/color/contrast etc
3)is it bulky ?
4)is the 3D [field seq] brilliant crstal clear without ghosting ?

i 'd previously queried - but those topics have no updates for a long time...

Hoping this time - soembody might post a detailed review of the same....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Virtual Viewer 3D - from vrealities ?

Post by cybereality »

Even though the website claims this HMD works on Vista/7 with AMD/Nvidia cards it is not specific on how this is possible. I would image this would mean the iz3D driver, but I see people have had trouble getting this to work at all ( http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=8 ... 61f1132589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). From what I understand it was using the DDC glasses (I-O display) output for the legacy Nvidia driver. As I am sure you are aware, that no longer works with modern PCs. That is the problem when you dig up vintage headsets on that vrealities site. They just aren't compatible with the current gen hardware/software. Unless there is some special magic I am not understanding (or the headset supports a standard format like side-by-side). But otherwise it is dead in the water just like almost everything else. You gotta just wait for some 2011 era HMDs to come out. Why spend $800 for something that is most likely a paper-weight when it comes to 3D? The VR1200 and Cinemizer OLED should be hitting $500 price-points and offer modern compatibility in addition to other advancements like 6DOF headtrackers.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Even though the website claims this HMD works on Vista/7 with AMD/Nvidia cards it is not specific on how this is possible. I would image this would mean the iz3D driver, but I see people have had trouble getting this to work at all ( http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=8 ... 61f1132589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). From what I understand it was using the DDC glasses (I-O display) output for the legacy Nvidia driver. As I am sure you are aware, that no longer works with modern PCs. That is the problem when you dig up vintage headsets on that vrealities site. They just aren't compatible with the current gen hardware/software. Unless there is some special magic I am not understanding (or the headset supports a standard format like side-by-side). But otherwise it is dead in the water just like almost everything else. You gotta just wait for some 2011 era HMDs to come out. Why spend $800 for something that is most likely a paper-weight when it comes to 3D? The VR1200 and Cinemizer OLED should be hitting $500 price-points and offer modern compatibility in addition to other advancements like 6DOF headtrackers.

Pal - the need is because of frustation with existing hedasets i own - none of the headsets i own is the 'ultimate' hence my search...
virtual viewer 3D takes 3d input in the form of field seq VGA [VGA connection - stereo 3d card required] or direct field seq [ from composite AV out from DVD players with 3d DVD i guess field seq..encoded] which is mentioned - but how that i need someone who has this headset to explain...hence the thread

Palmertech said he'd review this but none so far...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

But I don't believe the iz3D or DDD driver support field-sequential. The only thing that maybe might work is the simple shutter mode (page-flipping) on iz3d but that is known to have issues unless you are playing games from 5-10 years ago. And I don't think its even supported anymore on the 1.12 driver. I guess if you have a stand-alone DVD player with a 3D box, then that will probably work. But how many times do you want to watch those crap 3D DVDs they have out. We actually have real 3D movies with 3D Blu-Ray in 2011, but you will need a modern headset to do this (like VR1200 or Cinemizer OLED) unless you want to jump through a bunch of hoops. Seriously dude, just wait a few months for something fresh.
dd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dd »

I have my Virtual Viewer 3D working in 3D with the IZ3D driver. I did the full install and chose interlaced. Works great!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

dd wrote:I have my Virtual Viewer 3D working in 3D with the IZ3D driver. I did the full install and chose interlaced. Works great!
Thats interesting. Great news.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

dd wrote:I have my Virtual Viewer 3D working in 3D with the IZ3D driver. I did the full install and chose interlaced. Works great!
i am curious abt this HMD - please post a full review with pics for our understanding please...
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

That is really strange, because the Virtual Viewer 3D I tried seemed to rely on page flipping, same as the Z800 and Headplay, and just as useless without a 7XXX Nvidia graphics card. I will get around to posting a review of it, but it is nothing special, as far as I can tell. Optics are average quality, but without the freedom of adjustment that the Headplay has.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:That is really strange, because the Virtual Viewer 3D I tried seemed to rely on page flipping, same as the Z800 and Headplay, and just as useless without a 7XXX Nvidia graphics card. I will get around to posting a review of it, but it is nothing special, as far as I can tell. Optics are average quality, but without the freedom of adjustment that the Headplay has.
well - headplay does great 3D with DVDs encoded in field-sequential format....too bad headplay does not come with eye-shade / blocker nor are any custom mods available to make that happen...

not sure how to config. 3D on z800 which i have as i do not have the graphic card from nvidia...

Regd the virtual viewer 3D - i am curious becoz of the flip style it has ...it's ability to take s-video input as well..

just want a detailed review with pics for this HMD - Virtual Viewer 3D

1)does it have the same size of screen as headplay - not sure if it's FOV 28 / 35 - do not trust those vreality guys..they exaggerate a lot.. ?

2)does the Virtual Viewer 3D screen look really nice comparable to headplay... ? so far i have not come across any HMD [affordable] that can come close to haedplay viz-a-viz LCD quality ?

please i implore the community to do a serious review of Virtual Viewer 3D with pics and oblige...
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

ANCJOB,

Pal,

To be blunt, anything that is coming from him Armand over there is rework molded glasses, if they come from him like Cyberworld that has thier own helmets then you need to find out what they used. But lots of people have complained and I have know and bought stuff from him since 1999, last time was 2003 and no more. Most of his own helmet that is dual display is a Z800 tear down, specs are all the same and he even had the controll box for the z800 in one of the pic's, so whats that tell you.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

VRgamesterz wrote:ANCJOB,

Pal,

To be blunt, anything that is coming from him Armand over there is rework molded glasses, if they come from him like Cyberworld that has thier own helmets then you need to find out what they used. But lots of people have complained and I have know and bought stuff from him since 1999, last time was 2003 and no more. Most of his own helmet that is dual display is a Z800 tear down, specs are all the same and he even had the controll box for the z800 in one of the pic's, so whats that tell you.

i am aware that virtual viewer 3D is the re-branded Oriscape product sold at double the price ....
but the question is the quality - is the quality comparable with that of headplay...?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:That is really strange, because the Virtual Viewer 3D I tried seemed to rely on page flipping, same as the Z800 and Headplay, and just as useless without a 7XXX Nvidia graphics card. I will get around to posting a review of it, but it is nothing special, as far as I can tell. Optics are average quality, but without the freedom of adjustment that the Headplay has.

headplay has all the goodies except that you have to look at it head-on straight that's one thing i really do not like about this.......

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”