is there ANY way?

Talk about NVIDIA GPUs and driver performance here.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

is there ANY way?

Post by AntiCatalyst »

..to make my brand new GTX 460 output to two monitors WITHOUT the horrible horrible one-frame-lag, short of shelling out for an AMD GPU instead?

How about Nvidia Surround? It's nv's answer to EyeFinity, right?
"This is great!"
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: is there ANY way?

Post by Dom »

Did you try and use the "screen resoluion" panel when right clicking on your dekstop, and choose "extend" displays instead of using nvidia control panel to extend them or horizontal span? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also did you try and change the refresh rate to one display higher than the other, or both at a higher refresh rate that 60hz. If none of this helps maybe give Nvidia a call on the phone to their technical support. If its video you are trying to play you could also try ultramon. I think others were having this issue and just stuck with winxp. I think your issue comes from the timing each dispay has and hopefully you could adjust the difference with a seperate monitor setting to compensate the lag difference.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Thanks for the answer :)
well, i'm using the regular Extend mode right now of course, but that won't do, since when in extend mode, windows essentially doesn't seem to give a crap about keeping the two monitors synced.

ultramon hooks into windows display manager, right? so that's still limited by windows' syncing problems. If there was a 3rd party app for this, it would have to emulate a single large screen at a lower level, so that all windows' display manager could see is a single 3840x1080 display. Then it would output in perfect sync to both screens, simply because it's regarded as just one screen being refreshed one time.

I don't think it's the projectors lagging behind, simply because it's not consistent. One minute it's perfect, the next it's horrible. Monitor lag would be exactly the same for every single frame pair.

just an FYI as i was very unclear in my original post; I'm running a passive 3d dual projector rig for movies and games, and this one-frame-lag is especially noticable in movies because of the lower framerate. I've since rolled back to XP which partially solved the problem. now there's no noticeable lag in 60 or 50hz, but when i set both the refresh rates to 24Hz for ultra-smooth movie playback, i get horrible lag. This might be projector input lag however, i'm going to investigate it tomorrow.

If i could just be happy with playing movies in 60Hz this wouldn't be a problem. oh well, once you go 23,976 ... :D
"This is great!"
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If it only appears in movies you can change the sync by one frame in stereoscopic player. You've probably already tinkered with it though. I know it's not a real fix for the problem but at least meanwhile... it's below "file","video properties", "advanced" and timing tab.
I have no problems as is today viewing movies except a few ones which seems bad ripped (have framelag/missyncs even when using anaglyph....).
And yes, winvista/win7 is definitely NOT an upgrade for everybody.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think Nvidia Surround only works with 3 monitors. So AMD GPU would be the obvious solution. There are probably workarounds, though I wouldn't know how to help you.
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

turns out one of the projectors has some input lag, but only in 24Hz mode. I solved it by creating custom resolutions of 1080p@47.952Hz = perfect 24p playback and no input lag :)

I also tried a simple Avisynth script that interpolates the frames "in between", giving me 48p playback. It really works, movies are amazingly smooth and everything looks like it's in fast-forward. It does kill my CPU though. I've got an OC'd i3 350 at 3,8GHz and it's constantly at 40-50% cpu usage when playing 720p.
1080p just crashes instantly, unless it's a cinemascope film, some of those actually play a second or two before crashing. ;)

So my next question might be obvious; Is there any way to run AviSynth scripts on the GPU?
like a Cuda or OpenCL plugin
"This is great!"
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

cybereality wrote:I think Nvidia Surround only works with 3 monitors. So AMD GPU would be the obvious solution. There are probably workarounds, though I wouldn't know how to help you.
that's absolutely not true , at the debut there were 3 acer pj's.

So my next question might be obvious; Is there any way to run AviSynth scripts on the GPU?
like a Cuda or OpenCL plugin
lol, you must be joking , that's like asking for open source fpga cores for 3d. You can do offline rendering with avisynth afaik.
Last edited by tritosine5G on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

ololololz i'm not.

splash player and powerdvd have their own proprietary GPU motion interpolation, but they aren't of any use for a dual projector rig.
"This is great!"
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

btw there was some AMD & hollywood collaboration event where they had 3 pj's too . Blending isnt on the table at either manufacturer .
Last edited by tritosine5G on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

well, cybereality obviously meant that you need three separate displays for surround.
"This is great!"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

tritosine wrote:
cybereality wrote:I think Nvidia Surround only works with 3 monitors. So AMD GPU would be the obvious solution. There are probably workarounds, though I wouldn't know how to help you.
that's absolutely not true , at the debut there were 3 acer pj's.
Monitor, projector, same thing. What I was saying is you need 3. Meaning you can't use 2 (or 4 or 6, etc.)
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

AntiCatalyst wrote:..to make my brand new GTX 460 output to two monitors WITHOUT the horrible horrible one-frame-lag, short of shelling out for an AMD GPU instead?

How about Nvidia Surround? It's nv's answer to EyeFinity, right?
NVIDIA Surround is only triple-display and it requires two or three card SLI.

Only way to do hardware accelerated two-display on an NVIDIA setup is to buy a Matrox DH2G Digital. It's going to cap your displays at 60hz though. Not sure if you're doing 120hz 3D or not.
S3D Multi-projector Gaming System:
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

tritosine2k wrote:btw there was some AMD & hollywood collaboration event where they had 3 pj's too . Blending isnt on the table at either manufacturer .
I was the one that did the triple projection for AMD. Ask away if you have any questions. S3D doesn't work on the AMD side with triple projector at the moment. We couldn't get the page flipping to sync on all three projectors with the TriDef drivers. If you want advanced pre-warp keystoning and edge blending it requires NTHUSIM Plus as a third party utility.
Last edited by BHawthorne on Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7 930, EVGA E762 4-Way motherboard, NVIDIA GTX470 Tri-SLI, 3x Optoma GT720 projectors, 180-degree circular screen, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, NTHUSIM Plus 3.2, Windows 7 Pro 64
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

AntiCatalyst wrote:ololololz i'm not.

splash player and powerdvd have their own proprietary GPU motion interpolation, but they aren't of any use for a dual projector rig.
I think we used PowerDVD in January at AMD's CES meeting room with dual 1080p projection. It was pretty cool. D-Box had two full motion home movie chairs hooked up that were ran by the video player. Not 100% sure it was PowerDVD. Either way we had to get a special build for it to work. I think since then it has been patched to their release builds though. I'll ask Alex with Immersaview to be sure though. No real way to do this on the NVIDIA side with dual projector other than adding in a Matrox box or reverting back to Windows XP and horizontal span mode. Keep in mind this is a 2D 1080p dual projector setup, not a dual 720p 3D Ready setup.

AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Nice!

So it's settled; i need an amd card. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 6450; the cheapest eyefinity card out there.
Being a "cheap" card, there are models with a PCI mount, which brings me to this strange brainstorm: Would it work alongside my pci-e geforce card? Can i use the radeon outputs to span the two projectors(for movies), while still using the geforce card for gaming?

In short: Can one graphics card output through another card - without any SLI/CF magic going on?
"This is great!"
BHawthorne
Cross Eyed!

Post by BHawthorne »

I'm looking into a NVIDIA option that uses a MView MV103 to do dual-projector 120hz. I need to still hear back from the MView contact though. Apparently the latest version on that box can do a few configurations for 120hz dual-display. The problem with atypical configurations, is there are always a few ways to get around the issue, but none of the options are that easy or people would be using those options already.

Return to “General NVIDIA discussion”