DLP Link vs IR for older Samsung/Mits sets

nickels
One Eyed Hopeful

DLP Link vs IR for older Samsung/Mits sets

Post by nickels »

Just wanted to get some user input on my dilemma: IR or DLP Link glasses? These are general claims that I've seen from various posts on multiple forums. I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on this topic as doing hand's on research is too expensive and time consuming to try out every option.

DLP Link
Cost: DLP Link is cheaper as you can find a decent pair for $65 without any need for an emitter
Pros: blacks are black, no expensive emitter, you can mix brands
Cons: Rainbows on my set. I hear Crystal Eyes latest models are the only DLP Link glasses without the rainbow issue, but these glasses are $$$. Poor daylight syncing on the model I tried, even at close range.

IR
Cost: More $$$ due to emitters alone costing around $100-125
Pros: Sync better, no rainbows
Cons: DLP Link flashes cause red tint on blacks. Must buy compatible glasses for emitter.

I tried Ultra Clear DLP Link glasses so far and have mixed feelings. The rainbows annoy me, but even worse is the terrible daytime syncing. I am about to go IR but my set has DLP Link on without any way to disable it, so I hear my blacks may have a red tint. I wonder if tinted blacks are worse then the rainbows?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: DLP Link vs IR for older Samsung/Mits sets

Post by Fredz »

nickels wrote:Cost: DLP Link is cheaper as you can find a decent pair for $65 without any need for an emitter
Price of DLP-Link and IR glasses should be similar, as is the case with the Ultra-Clear. But you are right that you need an additionnal IR emitter on TVs which don't include one.
nickels wrote:Pros: blacks are black, no expensive emitter, you can mix brands
From reviews I've read, blacks are not so black with DLP-Link glasses, even if it's only marginally inferior to IR glasses.
nickels wrote:IR
Cost: More $$$ due to emitters alone costing around $100-125
It's true that it's quite difficult to find an emitter for a good price now, but the IR emitter was at only $48.20 on the Mitsubishi website some time ago, so I guess it could be possible to find it for a quite low price in used condition on sites like ebay.
nickels wrote:I tried Ultra Clear DLP Link glasses so far and have mixed feelings. The rainbows annoy me, but even worse is the terrible daytime syncing. I am about to go IR but my set has DLP Link on without any way to disable it, so I hear my blacks may have a red tint. I wonder if tinted blacks are worse then the rainbows?
What is the model of your TV, are you sure there is no way to deactivate DLP-Link ?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DLP Link vs IR for older Samsung/Mits sets

Post by cybereality »

DLP-Link is not necessarily cheaper. You can buy some old-school glasses for cheap and they will work. Like these Another Eyes glasses: you get 2 glasses and the emitter for $80 ( http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/xhapa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Although, depending on the size of your room you might need the high powered emitter, which does cost $150. However you can get a 4 pack of the glasses for $60 ( http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/x3dprowi3dgl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), so I think it evens out. I can't speak for the quality though.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”