Mitsubishi introduces curved OLED display - out in 2 months

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Mitsubishi introduces curved OLED display - out in 2 months

Post by cadcoke5 »

I just came across this announcement about a large curved OLED display by Mitsubishi. This link includes plenty of video and still pictures.
http://www.oled-display.net/mitsubishi- ... t-ise-2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a 360 display intended for things like advertising. It is is 9.17 meter radius, by 3.85 meter high [30.1 feet Radius x 12.6 feet high]. It is made by individual 128x128 modules, which can readily be seen in some of the photographs. The pixel density (as I calculate it) is 0.33 pixels per mm. So, it is clearly not going to work for a HMD. I am not clear if this would be viable for a curved VR type display that you can sit in the middle of. The curve is the wrong direction. But, perhaps it would be viable to curve it so the display is on the inside.

Technical details

* Modul size: H384mmxW384mmxD97 mm
* Number of pixels/module: H128x128 pixels
* Pixel pitch: 3mm
* Pixel density: 111,111 pixels m²
* Max Brightness: 1200 cd/m²
* Viewing angle: 80 degrees (horizontal and vertical)
* Grey scale: Each color has 16,384 gradations

---
Joe Dunfee
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Mitsubishi introduces curved OLED display - out in 2 mon

Post by tritosine5G »

SUPRISINGLY bright! Life ?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cadcoke5 wrote: I am not clear if this would be viable for a curved VR type display that you can sit in the middle of. The curve is the wrong direction. But, perhaps it would be viable to curve it so the display is on the inside.
It's hard to tell if each of the 128*128 modules is curved, or flat. If they are flat, you may be able to create a structure and make a dome out of them, that would be cool.... but expensive.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that thing with your head in the middle would be sick.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”