Killzone 3 beta

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
xiphas
One Eyed Hopeful

Killzone 3 beta

Post by xiphas »

so the beta is up, ive played about an hour... all i can say is wow. The 3d is awesome. As with most s3d games its more depth than anything but they have done quite a superb job. 3d plus using the move controller is just amazing.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Killzone 3 beta

Post by Chiefwinston »

Ooooh man I have to work late tonight. I'll grab it when I get home tonight.
Thanks for the heads up.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

you can do similar to move controller using a PC and a novint falcon, plus its way better because of force feedback and 1000's ways to configure it, for example with a press of my thumb I remove the game HUD off-screen, and assigned this key to turn FFB recoil off simultaneously, so I can aim. Immersion went thru the roof , since Im customizing things. :mrgreen:

The thing feels scary good, I bet one of the 3 servomotors is heavier than a whole PS controller.

Such a shame you can't link 2 playstation3's together to produce somewhat acceptable framerates , IQ , my only choice is silent HTPC now.

BTW a new sony MMOFFPS is due to arrive soon , called planetside next, they say it's 3d, dunno how good that will be, Killzone gfx is really good, can they offer worse on the PC with planetside next???
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

yeeeahh haaaaa haaaaa. Can it do some crazy $KIT like this.

cheers everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by theadzter »

Agreed that the 3d in this is great.

This 3d is done right. Chalk and cheese compared to Crysis2 imho.
It is a shame the framrate takes a hit. But not until next gen will we see some better framrates. And even then, they'll probably turn the graphics dial up so much, that there'll be some sorta compromise still.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hmm I played this for about 4 hours. well guys this uses the 2d+depth tech. It looks and plays great. I'd like to see a couple of more notches up in the seperation. I tried the move controller with it. Simply superb gaming. Some of the best controls plus 3d gaming on the planet. This is clearly premium gaming. This is definitely being added to my ultimate gaming set-up. I'm really floored with this game. To say it rocks is an understatement. :woot

Cheers everyone
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Some of you Nvidia patrons will never except this new 3D method. I can see the difference from the brute force method vs. this implementation of reprojection. Its a rather small gap and with a touch of more seperation it will be hard to tell which method is used. Visually 3D Killzone 3 is great. I'm out to play some cool games. If this is the only way Sony can deliver AAA titles in 3D. Then sign me up. I'll buy them all. The 3D will not make you duck. But honestly guys the immersion was so deep that a guy jumped up in front of me and blew me away with a shot gun, I flinched. This happened twice in one evening. So with out a doubt there is some cool gaming here. It raises the bar for stereo gaming in my mind.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

And yeah I'm buying that cheap plastic toy gun holder. My experiments with the move controller lead me to believe this is a viable and deeply immersive way to play.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I need to see a good working 2d+depth algorithm in action before believeing. I've played around a little with the virtual 3d-mode of the tridef driver but basically i just came to one conclusion: It sucks. It works "best" is the scene is further away in the monitor. This will give both eyes a close to equal but just sideshifted image thus almost eliminating the need to regenerate occluded pixels. However i can emulate this by simply shift the images of the projectors in my displaydriver and run in clonemode. No fps losses at all and good depth into the screen. It's obviously not stereoscopy either.
I don't need things popping into my face all the time but a game which plays far into the monitor is stereoscopically boring in my opinion. It's of course only my opinion though and i need to see for myself before making a "final personal judgement".
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

yeah i've seen some of that poor 2d+ depth. We'll have to rename it to really really good fake 3D in the case of killzone 3. With further refinement this will be how 3D games are presented in the future on all platforms. There's just to large of an efficiency gain to ever ignore it. Think of it as a compression technique.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Are you sure it isn't bruteforce? I 'm thinking of the post theadzter made about fpsloss taking a hit.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Well I'd let you know if there were a frame rate issue. There simply isn't. This is a very well designed game. The 3D, controls, game play I'm on board with this one. This is looking really incredible for a console game. I'm gonna buy this game for sure and play the hell out of it even with its really really good fake 3D.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

killzone is not depth 3d but 640*720*2 and then I see talking about 2d framerate.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

theadzter wrote:Agreed that the 3d in this is great.

This 3d is done right. Chalk and cheese compared to Crysis2 imho.
It is a shame the framrate takes a hit. But not until next gen will we see some better framrates. And even then, they'll probably turn the graphics dial up so much, that there'll be some sorta compromise still.

Hahaaa haahaa. Threadzter man the pop came out my nose when I read that. The 3d is the 2d +depth reprojection trick. It's not dual render. It looks real good right man. :lol:

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

local opinions arent bright. And I already know the difference between 30/eye and 60/eye : (((

heres an old topic about crysis2 vs kz3 3d
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1445767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Haahahaaaa you keep reading those speculation papers. I'm gonna go play one of the best 3d games ever created. And drink some brewskies.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

locals say its mushy blurry point &shoot it even lacks trajectory with framerate drops enough to deter you forever (they are generally very playstation positive )

everyone better preserve some *good spirit* for metro2033: last refugee , you'll need it
RTech Analysis: Crysis 2 Demo

February 5th, 2011
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... sis-2-demo

in my opinion every sci fi MP game is welcome in this overrated title stuffed first decade. Especially crysis2 without playerlimit and TONS of extra PC CONTENT & hi techl controllers instead of toys.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Tritosine, hey man you guys are to easy to play with. I'm just an old gamer looking for some cool games. I'm sure crysis is cool. And by the way I don't think PC/360/PS3's are cool. My '69 Chevy Camaro - now that's cool.

So pop the champaign we have our first 2011 game of the year candidate - Killzone 3. 8-)

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Chiefwinston wrote:My '69 Chevy Camaro - now that's cool.
Ditto!!! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Chiefwinston wrote:The 3d is the 2d +depth reprojection trick. It's not dual render. It looks real good right man. :lol:
Do you have any reference that can confirm this ? All the reviews I've read said that they use brute-force rendering with squashed horizontal resolution. Can't you take a screenshot with the PS3 so we can see it by ourselves ?
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah I don't have a way to take a screen shot. But the game only has depth adjustment. Which in this case is z adjustment. No convergence adjustment. Also, visually the game is way beyond what I expected the ps3 to be able to do with the brute force method. There are a couple of other visual cues that lead me to believe it's 2d+depth. I won't tell you them just yet. I want to see how many 2d+depth will not work guys are fooled. It's going to be a lot.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Occluded zones and stretched pixels are not present. That's what makes it so interesting.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

They actually could be using squashed horizontal res. + the 2d+depth trick. All resulting in maximum 3d wow.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

They have squeezed way more 3d out of the system. Than I ever thought was possible on the PS3. For some strange reason this upsets a lot of people. :lol:

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm definitely more curious than upset. ;)
However i don't believe they've found a "secret" formula. The lack of occluded zones might actually be because they do use a bruteforce approach for this game. Somehow i suspect they do.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yes my quick search on the net reveals nothing. Sony is clearly not letting the cat out of the bag on this one. Passing the secret formula on is not in their interest. It's the 2d+depth reprojection trick. The PS3 doesn't have the hardware to brute force this game. You'll see.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Likay, fredz recently posted a Sony paper on 3d methods. In short the 2d + depth explanations around this forum are not really right. They are using a 2d + depth technique that has a lot of similarity to the way 3D blu-rays store info in a compressed fashion. It's really quite fascinating to read. I'm still studying it.

Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

has no one here played Avatar? the 3D in that game is far better than any game or movie you'll ever see including KZ3 (as long as you turn depth up to at least 70%).
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

I agree Avatar is also great, but on the pc, where you can crank up the resolution to 1920x1080 (be it SBS). On the ps3 Killzone 3 is king for me. The immersion is great and the attention to detail stunning. Graphically Killzone 3 is much more advanced than the Avatar game, even if it is DX10. The number of particle effects on screen is really a sight to behold. And the recommendable depth settings for Avatar are different for different-sized displays so recommending 70% to everyone is not a good suggestion.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”