Random tracking/ vr links.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Random tracking/ vr links.

Post by bobv5 »

Figured I would make a place for links I think you guys might like to see. Was going to put this in the hydra thread, but its not really anything to do with hydra.

Here is one

Tracking with kinnect + vr920 (skip to aboout 1 minute for the awesome bit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDlvn3voblQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Random tracking/ vr links.

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I saw that one. Pretty cool stuff.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

That is great. Pitty it gives the false sense of VR that you just don't get looking through the little VR920 window.
The Kinect is such a great piece of tech. Did any of you ever play the game "The Movies" where you could create movies from cut scene selections? Hopefully xbox game devs see the potential to extend this into being able to do your own animation as well. I also foresee a flood of home made CGI movies coming animated using the Kinect, plenty of aspiring Gollums out there lol.

It really seems st the moment the hardware is leaving the software for dead as the hardware is out at very reasonable consumer prices, i guess i now have to thank consoles for something! Do new engines like Cryengine 3 have the potential to include this sort of physics and animation control or do we need to wait for later generations...
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Do new engines like Cryengine 3 have the potential to include this sort of physics and animation control or do we need to wait for later generations...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyX1tC2OS0[/youtube]
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

@Cyber: That is awesome! I really can't wait for Crysis 2 to be released.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Heres another

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-360-Ki ... -1621.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Okta wrote:Do new engines like Cryengine 3 have the potential to include this sort of physics and animation control or do we need to wait for later generations...
certainly! it's even been around for a while. 2004's HL2 and, i believe, some titles before it had quite detailed full-body ragdoll physics and facial animations, and with the modding community there(Garry's Mod first and foremost) it shouldn't be too long before someone impements kinect support. In fact, I bet it's under development as we speak :D

I think Kinect will be a hugely useful tool for game modders and maybe even developers. Instead of spending an hour or two clicking out the paths for the new reload animation, you could simply stand in front of the camera and record it. Or just have a war veteran do it for added realism ;)
"This is great!"

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”