Colorcode How Does it Work?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Colorcode How Does it Work?

Post by billqs »

I've been playing with several different kinds of anaglyph 3d and it seems the best for full color reproduction is colorcode. From what I have read the amber lens lets through most of the color spectrum, while the dark blue is mainly luminance. This seems somewhat different than the set up for most anaglyphs which are mostly concerned with a stereo image being keyed through 2 colors.

If what I wrote above is true, would a half color yellow/blue, with the blue being the color to be rendered in grayscale come the closest to mimicking the patented colorcode process?

It seems clips done in actual colorcode come out much better than just my using yellow/blue in Stereoscopic player.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Colorcode How Does it Work?

Post by cybereality »

Well ColorCode is based on yellow/blue, but they have altered it slightly. I am actually working on a 3D image viewer application, and had to implement some different anaglyph modes. At the moment, its just red/cyan, green/magenta, and yellow/blue. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find pure yellow/blue glasses (which is odd). I did get the ColorCode viewers though. They are close to yellow/blue, enough that yellow/blue content is compatible. However it is not the same. The yellow side is more amber (meaning it has a little red) and the blue side is darker than pure blue. I doubt they are going to give up their formula and anybody that knows is probably under NDA. What I do know is that if you use the ColorCode glasses on mostly grayscale content, it can look very nice. I was playing UT2004 on this one particular level thats mainly gray, and I swear the quality was almost like shutter glasses. Other content didn't work as well and was worse than regular red/cyan. So I imagine they must process the source material first, but I'm not exactly sure what they are doing. Admittedly, I haven't really looked into it much. If you could find an image in ColorCode and also the original full quality stereo pair (ie JPS), I could write a script that might be able to determine how it works (though some guesswork and luck would still be required).
billqs
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Colorcode How Does it Work?

Post by billqs »

Gosh, that would be awesome if you could write a script. I just know what I have gotten playing around with Stereoscopic Player and yellow/blue- while allowing for a much fuller color spectrum IMO, doesn't allow for the focus and depth I can get with the same source material Half SBS turned into regular red/cyan anaglyph. Unfortunately, red/cyan does serious color damage, though I would be interested in technology that improves color reception for other anaglyph formats as well. The Colorcode video available on their site looks incredible with none of the probs I get from SP and my own doodling around.

The colorcode/half color anaglyph came to me while reading on another stereo viewing site about what full color, half color and optimized anaglyphs meant. When it talked about processnig the red channel as grayscale instead of full color, I immediately remembered another source where I had read that colorcode uses the dark blue mostly in monochrome and for brightness.

I will play around some more with half color anaglyphs in Stereoscopic Player to see if I can replicate a colorcode effect.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”