Buying new PC monitor. Need advice

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Buying new PC monitor. Need advice

Post by Burbruee »

Hello. A few months ago I decided to get myself a new computer (htpc) for watching movies, and a monitor as well.
Well, I bought the computer already but I'm still deciding and saving up for the new monitor.

This computer will be mostly used for watching movies on, but it will also be for regular desktop usage.
I'm on a budget, so a 42" 3D-Ready LCD-TV for $1000+ is not an option here. Cut that in half though and you have what I'm willing to pay. Besides, as I said it will be my regular work pc as well so I need something smaller, 42" isn't really good for the desk you know?

Currently I have a 22" non-3d Viewsonic monitor which I've been looking to sell to speed things up. I find it a bit small. 24" is okay, but from a distance it's still not quite there. I believe in the 27" PC monitors. It will be a nice middle solution for both desktop and movie usage.

At first, I had my eyes on the BenQ M2700HD. It's got all the connections you need. 2x HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video, spdif, audio out, mic in, usb hub and built-in speakers..

That was before I got into 3D however. It's a regular 60 Hz monitor. The only 27" 3D-monitor I've seen is the Asus PG276H.. But it's not out and may never come out it feels like. Hopefully it will some day, I'm not in a rush to get a monitor tomorrow. I can wait until summer but rather not longer than that.

--
So I got these eDimensional wireless 3D shutter glasses for christmas. I've been using them quite a bit over the past few weeks. I also got my hands on a Compaq P1100 CRT monitor. I think it's 21" so it's quite large. It can handle resolutions up to 1920x1440 at 75 Hz but it's a but flickery so I go with 1600x1200 at 94 Hz for movies. Lower for games because the graphics card is not all that great. For watching movies it's not great since all movies and tv shows are widescreen and there's massive black borders so you loose a lot of potential screen size. Besides it's a bit cloudy and LCD/TFTs are much sharper.

Anyway I wanted to ask this about the glasses. If I buy a new 120 Hz monitor "3D Vision Certified", and assuming said monitor has VGA so I can use the dongle. Will my eDimensional glasses still work with it? Or will I get the same effect as looking at a 60 Hz monitor? When I'm looking straight at my current tft the entire viewing area is completely black. I can see each individual dust particle on it. (so it's actually quite a useful method for cleaning the monitor of dust. :lol: ) However, if I turn my head about 90 degrees to the left or right, still sitting right in front of the screen, the picture is clear and not black at all. But still there is no 3D effect. I see everything interlaced which is the 3D mode I use. I don't think it's because of the refresh rate since 60 Hz works on CRT it just flickers a lot and is painful to watch. So maybe it's because of the response time.

So yeah, I just want to make sure if I buy a 120 Hz monitor that it will not be black if I look at it normally, and that I will get a 3D effect when using the eDim dongle if the monitor has VGA or if I _need_ 3D vision glasses for those monitors. And if you know of any new 27" monitor coming out.. let me know.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Buying new PC monitor. Need advice

Post by cybereality »

Well you do have some options in terms of 3D monitors, but not much. First off, there is nothing available in the 27" size. There have been panels shown at trade shows in that size, but nothing available today or with a solid release date. Its inevitable they will be released at some point, but who knows when that might be. If I had to make a guess I'd say before the end of the year. But even then, how much will it cost. I doubt $500. There are 23" 3D monitors that cost $500, so a 27" might be as much as $700. Plus you have to factor in the glasses, that's another $200 right there. Including tax and shipping you could easily be looking at spending $1000 for this 27" 3D Vision screen. Just something to keep in mind.

In terms of what is out there today, I think the Asus VG236H might be a good fit, it sells for around $499 w/ the Nvidia glasses ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). That is not necessarily the best monitor on the market, but it is supposed to be pretty good and the price is reasonable. In terms of 3D Vision ready monitors, I think the best one is the Planar SA2311W, you can get the bundle for $675 ( http://www.planaronline.com/product/?id=997-6293-00lf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). The Planar is the model that I am saving for right now, FYI. There are also a few other 3D Vision 120Hz monitors in the 23" range, so shop around if you want to, but they all should be somewhat similar. See the Nvidia requirements page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Keep in mind that if you get one of these 120Hz LCDs, you *MUST* use the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. Edimensional or any other generic shutters glasses will not work. And, obviously, you need an Nvidia card. Also, if you want to play 3D Blu-Ray, you need Windows 7.

Another option is the Zalman Trimon series. They have two 1080P monitors on sale right now, a 21.5" and a 24". The Zalman use polarized glasses, not shutter glasses, so you do not get any flicker. They are also compatible with all the 3d drivers (Nvidia, iZ3D, DDD) as well as YouTube3D, 3D Blu-Ray with PowerDVD, etc. You can use the Zalman on either Windows XP, Vista or 7 (32-bit or 64-bit). Both Nvidia and AMD cards are supported. However they use interlaced 3D so when you have the glasses on, each eye only sees half the resolution. So the image quality is not up to par with the 3D Vision solution. Viewing angles can also be problematic. Not so much trouble if you are just in a seat in front of the monitor, but it doesn't really work if you want to watch from your bed or anything like that. Glasses are cheap though, you can even use the free ones you get at the movie theater. But due to the low viewing angles it can be hard for more than, say, 2 people to view at once. They are also a little more expensive than the 120Hz displays, I think the 24" goes for around $700. Keep in mind it does include the glasses. But I am not not really recommending the Zalman in your case. Its not exactly a bad monitor, I have the 22" version and have been pretty happy with it so far. But due to the small viewing angles, it is really not that great if you want to view it from a distance. I mean, you can do it. But it requires careful positioning of the monitor. If you decided to lay down on the bed, then you will have to re-position it. Kind of a hassle. Just thought I would mention it, since it is out there.

Yet another option would be to get a 3D projector. Its actually a lot cheaper than you think. The best one to get is the Acer H5360, which sells for around $550 ( http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H5360-Acer%C ... B0036R9ZKA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). This is a 720P DLP projector and will work with Nvidia 3D Vision (some of the cheaper projectors have odd resolutions or are not fully compatible so WATCH OUT). This projector uses DLP, so the quality of the 3D image will actually be better than what you get from LCD (in terms of ghosting, at least). However it is only 720P, so it may not be as crisp as a full-HD display. You will also end of spending a little more. Factor in the glasses, a screen (or paint), a ceiling mount, etc. and you could easily be looking at spending $1000 for the whole setup. This is in fact pretty cheap when you consider you can be getting a 100" 3D screen in your living room. But if you are only looking to spend $500, its probably not what you are looking for. Its also can't really be used for work, so you'd still need to keep your old 2D monitor around for day-to-day tasks.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRealistWord »

I agree with cybereality on the Acer H5360 - outstanding projector, and the 3D capabilities with the NVidia 3D vision kit is absolutely amazing. Though, you said this is more for desk usage, so that probably wouldn't be a viable option. Unfortunately, there currently isn't a huge selection of 120 Hz 3D monitors on the market, but cybereality seemed to touch on a few good ones. When you finally do purchase it, let us know how it goes! I'm going to purchase one also within the coming months (I was terribly disappointed with the crosstalk on the iZ3D monitor, but I got it at a discounted price after it was discontinued, so I'm using it solely as a 2D monitor now). Good luck! :D
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Thanks. Out of these options, Zalman sounds more right for me. If it only came in a 25.5"+ edition with HDMI capabilities as well as DVI and VGA.. Is the viewing angle really that bad? Couch is about 10 feet away I guess. Interlace is fine by me, plus glasses are cheap and it's not restricted to nvidia.

3D Vision is not really an option, least not right now. It uses page flipping and extra glasses are very expensive for any "guests" that may want to watch. Plus, this media computer I bought only have a CULV processor and ION for graphics. It's capable of playing normal 1080p movies at around 5-10% cpu when accelerating with either DXVA or VDPAU, but that's not a possibility when watching 3D movies, so then the cpu is always between 70-99% depending on bitrate.

I've tried page flipping with my eDims and it never syncs because of the poor performance with my hardware I guess. Interlace works fine for both movies and games. It's not really a gaming system but it works great with some older games like Colin McRae 04, UT2004 or C&C Generals, which is all I want to play anyway. :)

I may still get that 27" BenQ 2D-monitor because of the price, size and connections and keep my CRT and eDims for 3D stuff. I really don't think 24" is big enough for movies. No larger Zalman in the works?

EDIT: Okay, I read some reviews and looked at some pictures.. Zalman looks like a great monitor to be honest. But I'm wondering, what's the difference between Zalman ZM-M240W and Zalman ZM-M240WGD? Here in Sweden, I can only find the "GD" edition. Not the normal one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Zalman is an alright solution. Not necessarily the best image quality, but it has some nice overall features and compatibility with all things considered. The 24" is the largest 1080P model available. They did have a 32" model, but I am not sure if this was ever released to the public. Never heard of the ZM-M240WGD, but I bet its just a localized SKU with the same exact product.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

So what's this I hear about nvidia dropping support for Zalman monitors? Will I have problems getting the monitor to work in 3D with my 9400 (ion) nvidia chip?
Also, I heard 3D will only work in the native resolution and that iz3d 1.12 have some sort of upscaling functionality. I should probably ask this on their forums but do you know anything about it? Some of the older games I play don't offer widescreen resolutions, so this would be required. (or windowed mode)

EDIT: Found this in ProgramData\iZ3D Driver\Config.xml

Code: Select all

<!-- DisplayScalingMode Values: -->
		<!-- 0 == No Scaling (or Scaling Unknown) -->
		<!-- 1 == Image started from top left corner. (black padding right bottom) -->
		<!-- 2 == Scaling (N.B. Aspect Ratio may change) -->
		<!-- 3 == Centering (black padding around) -->
		<!-- 4 == Scaling (Fixed Aspect Ratio Touch-from-inside, black bars may appear) -->
		<!-- 5 == Scaling (Fixed Aspect Ratio Touch-from-outside, some data loss is possible) -->
		<DisplayScalingMode Value="4"/>
		<DisplayNativeWidth Value="1920"/>
		<DisplayNativeHeight Value="1440"/>
Tried it, and it appears to be working. :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Zalman's contract with Nvidia has expired (I think a from a year ago) but Nvidia does continue to have support for it, even though it is not advertised on their website. However they have no legal obligation to do so, and at any point they can remove the support. So I would not rely on this, but its a nice bonus feature.

Zalman needs and unscaled image to use 3D (although the DDD driver does have internal scaling to work around this). It does not have to be at native resolution. It just has to be 1:1 pixel mapping (no scaling). So you can run older games at 1280x1024 and just have black bars on the side and it works fine.

Also, not sure how much 3D gaming you can do with a 9400 card. You'd have to play some really old games. Maybe UT2004 would work.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

cybereality wrote:Zalman's contract with Nvidia has expired (I think a from a year ago) but Nvidia does continue to have support for it, even though it is not advertised on their website. However they have no legal obligation to do so, and at any point they can remove the support. So I would not rely on this, but its a nice bonus feature.

Zalman needs and unscaled image to use 3D (although the DDD driver does have internal scaling to work around this). It does not have to be at native resolution. It just has to be 1:1 pixel mapping (no scaling). So you can run older games at 1280x1024 and just have black bars on the side and it works fine.

Also, not sure how much 3D gaming you can do with a 9400 card. You'd have to play some really old games. Maybe UT2004 would work.
So then mode "3" should work fine in the iZ3D scaling settings. It will use your desktop reolution (1920x1080) and if you have your game displayed at say 1024x768 or something like that actual game content will not be upscaled to desktop res, instead displayed in the center of the screen with black borders all around. You probably don't want to run that low res though as there will be a lot of black borders and the actual game will feel really small.

ION works remarkably well with the older games that I play and mentioned above. I generally don't like newer games anyway, without 3D though I get close to 40 fps in Call of Duty 4 at 1366x768 as long as I turn shadows off so it's pretty decent. Some older rally games like Colin McRae 04 or Richard Burns Rally, action games like UT2004 or Quake 3 Arena, strategy like C&C Generals or RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and OnlineRPG in Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst all work really well in 3D interlaced mode for me right now.

Movies in Stereoscopic Player or watching Youtube3D clips will be the main attraction though.

With nvidia support, do you mean their stereoscopic drivers for games? I thought their drivers worked _only_ for 3D Vision? If they drop support, Youtube and stereoplayer will still work right? And iZ3D or Tridef for games.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia supports Zalman on their stereo drivers, they just don't advertise it because they want people to buy 3D Vision glasses. And even if they drop support, Zalman will still work on iz3D/DDD and all other programs.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Just one more question then. I'm really not a fan of glossy monitors, can't stand being around Apple computers because all I can ever see is my own reflection and everything else around me. Makes it hard to focus on what's on the screen, especially during daylight.

And from what I hear, the Zalman monitors takes glossy to an extreme level.. Since you have one, maybe you can share your experiences. Personally I've always stayed clear of glossy monitors until now, but it looks like I can't run from it anymore. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the Zalman is glossy for sure. Personally, I like the look. I think it makes the colors pop a bit more with better blacks. Some people don't like it though. And, yes, I can clearly see my reflection in the screen, even as I write this. But I have gotten used to it. And when playing games I usually dim the lights, so its not really an issue. But if you really hate glossy monitors than you may be bothered somewhat by the Zalman. I don't know what to tell you. Its a nice monitor, but its not perfect.
ZalmoxisX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZalmoxisX »

As much as I hate glossy screens, I will won't replace the ones I already have. They just provide a great image. Glare was a problem, but I just arranged my office in a way that was no longer a problem. So I you can find a mat finish 3D screen go for it, but don't let the fact that one is glossy be a deal breaker either. Mat finish screens just can't compete with the image of a glossy screen.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

A top of the line CRT excels both as a 3d monitor and as a TV
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

ZalmoxisX wrote:As much as I hate glossy screens, I will won't replace the ones I already have. They just provide a great image. Glare was a problem, but I just arranged my office in a way that was no longer a problem. So I you can find a mat finish 3D screen go for it, but don't let the fact that one is glossy be a deal breaker either. Mat finish screens just can't compete with the image of a glossy screen.
Yeah, I understand. It's just that I have really big windows on every wall in this room and no way to cover them. So I think I'll find the monitor hard to use during the day.
Anyway, I had the money to buy the Zalman just now, but decided to sit around with my CRT for a while longer.

Because I received some free computer components yesterday. Asus M2N motherboard, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ 2.9 GHz cpu, a new really quiet PSU of 460W and 3 GB of DDR2. So I just put them all together in an old chassi and threw in an old 6600GT I had around as well as my SATA drive from the htpc. So today I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1 GB. That set me back $230 or so (converted currency) so it will be a few months more for the Zalman but I've decided to go for their 24" monitor. :)

But, I'll be able to play a lot more stuff in 3D while I wait now compared to that 6600GT or the 9400M. Besides, had I gone with the Zalman first.. I would not be able to play much if at all considering I even struggle at 1024x768 with 3D activated as it is. I'd be limited to stereoscopic player and youtube3d, which is not bad but I'll still be able to do that with my CRT and eDims as well as enjoy games made >2002 once I get the graphics card. :D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

you need an unlocker amd and 3.4+ ghz if you want it cheap or i5

SLI is a win with 3d vision , gtx460 will be very cheap if you want another
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well a 6600GT ain't gonna cut it for 3D gaming. A GTX 460 will be a huge leap forward.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

http://www.alternate.de/html/solrSearch ... uctDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hm, I might want to get this instead of the Zalman now.. 27", that's what I wanted all along.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Ever saw 3d lcd ?

Im really puzzled why people buy even 3 of those . Really puzzled.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I hear that Acer is an alright display. Not the best thing that was ever made, but still competitive with other solutions and there is nothing else in that size unless you move toward HDTVs. You can read a review here:
http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the- ... d-monitor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@tritosine: I know you are stuck on this CRT thing, but when did they ever make a CRT monitor that was 27" wide-screen and could maintain 120Hz at 1080P resolutions? I really don't think that happened.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

cybereality wrote:I hear that Acer is an alright display. Not the best thing that was ever made, but still competitive with other solutions and there is nothing else in that size unless you move toward HDTVs. You can read a review here:
http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the- ... d-monitor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@tritosine: I know you are stuck on this CRT thing, but when did they ever make a CRT monitor that was 27" wide-screen and could maintain 120Hz at 1080P resolutions? I really don't think that happened.
Yep, already read that review. I was looking through his blog this morning and that's how I found out about that monitor. :)
Still debating whether I should save up for it or if I should just go with the 24" Zalman. I generally don't like flicker and expensive glasses that run on batteries. I've had enough of that with these eDimensionals and the CRT I'm using now. And with the Zalman there's the half vertical resolution which I'm able to "preview" right now since ED does both interlaced and pageflip and it doesn't bother me on high resolutions like 1600x1200. However I've not really been able to try out pageflip since I can't ever get it to sync even with fps>60 for more than half a second, feels like it's flipping the fields over and over again I'm guessing it's got something to do with either the ED activator or iZ3D. Only time it somewhat works with pageflip is at 60 Hz but then the flickering is horrible.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the Zalman is not a bad choice. You will probably be happy with either. Personally, I've been using Zalman for 3 years and I am excited to make the jump to full-resolution 1080P 3D. I'm looking at getting the Planar 23" 3D Vision monitor, supposedly the best 3D LCD monitor out there. But I still enjoy the Zalman. The half-resolution thing is not as bad as people think, but it is certainly noticeable. However I watch 3D Blu-Ray on it, and it looks pretty close to full quality (just a little softer/blurrier but the 3D effect is great). My main complaint with the Zalman is the viewing angles. They are extremely low and it becomes a chore to position yourself correctly. Even if you are stilling still, little things like the chair seat slowly dropping will cause ghosting (meaning you have to adjust the seat or the angle of the monitor). This might happen once or twice while watching a movie. Not a huge deal, but still annoying. It also means its harder for multiple people to view the monitor, and using it from a distance doesn't really work (like laying on a bed for example). I still like it, but it has its quirks. The main reason I've stuck with it is due to the amazing compatibility with just about every piece of software out there. 3D Vision is still lacking since you are stuck with Nvidia. But I am pretty certain the 3D Vision should be a significant step up from the quality on the Zalman. 27" is a nice size also.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

cybereality wrote:My main complaint with the Zalman is the viewing angles. They are extremely low and it becomes a chore to position yourself correctly. It also means its harder for multiple people to view the monitor, and using it from a distance doesn't really work (like laying on a bed for example).
This is the only thing that worries me. I was hoping to get another family member to watch some 3D movies with me from the couch with the monitor on my desk. (approx. 3 meters away, which is why 27" would be better)

Would it be impossible at that distance even with the Zalman being height and tilt adjustable and if we sit right next to each other? Worst case scenario I have to put the monitor on the coffee-table while watching movies which would put it at normal distance for a monitor. :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The thing is, it is not so much about the distance as it is the angle. If you are sitting in a chair directly in front of the monitor (meaning your eye level is in the middle of the monitor and it is in the center of your view) then it looks fine. However very rarely will your couch be absolutely on the same level and centered with your monitor. So this can be a problem. I am not saying its impossible, you can probably make it work somehow. Its just not an ideal situation. While you can adjust the tilt of the monitor, its only adjusted toward you. If you family is not the exact same height as you are, then their eyes will be on a different level and thus get more ghosting. The best case is if a single person is to sit directly in front and center of it. I know even the 3D Vision monitors have a limited viewing angle, but it should be a lot wider than the Zalman. I'm not trying to scare you away or anything, the Zalman is still a nice kit. But its something buyers should be aware of. If you really want to just watch movies with the family, then get a 3D HDTV. They are much better suited for the task. Although the 27" Acer might be a good compromise.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Right, didn't think about difference in height between the people watching. However only about 2 inches differs so maybe I could make it work somehow.

I think 27" is a good size to have as both a pc monitor and for watching movies, so maybe I should save up for it.. but again the extra glasses are very expensive just for a guest to be able to watch. The Zalman comes with two pairs (I wear glasses so clip-ons for me)

Also for gaming 3DVision requires a lot more resources, I'd rather do half resolution and get 10-20 fps more. A 25 or 27 inch Zalman would have been the best solution for me, I wouldn't have such a hard time deciding if they made one.

3D HDTVs are $1500 minumum and over 40 inches, it's out of my price range and I'm searching for a monitor not a TV. I'll definitely get one in the future though, but that could be years from now.

No, I'm pretty sure I will go with the Zalman monitor, it should only be a couple of more weeks before I can afford one and then I will let you know what I think about it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well for your price range you are not going to do much better than the 24" Zalman. If you had more to spend then there could be better options like 3D HDTVs. But those HDTVs don't make good computer monitors, so you would still need a second monitor for daily browsing/work, etc. Although for $500 you could also get the Asus VG236H 23" 3D Vision monitor (includes glasses): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I am not sure how good that looks compared to the 24" Zalman (I haven't seen either of them) but it is a comparable option.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

I'm now looking at the LG W2363D 23" monitor, and it looks like an okay monitor. From what I hear it has no input lag and little crosstalk. It's also bright to compensate for the glasses.

Found it really cheap, so I can buy it tomorrow if I want to, and the glasses in a couple of weeks. Unless there are any objections I think I'm going with this monitor. I was also looking at the Asus VG236H which is height and swivel adjustable and might overall be the better monitor of the two but like I said I found the LG really cheap. :)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Burbruee wrote:I'm now looking at the LG W2363D 23" monitor, and it looks like an okay monitor. From what I hear it has no input lag and little crosstalk. It's also bright to compensate for the glasses.
Depends on what you call little crosstalk :

You can also have a look at the two reviews here :
http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the- ... g-monitor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron ... 04_35.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burbruee wrote:I was also looking at the Asus VG236H which is height and swivel adjustable and might overall be the better monitor of the two but like I said I found the LG really cheap. :)
Ghosting for the Asus VG236H :

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That LG model looks alright. Maybe not as good as the Planar, but if the price is right that could be a nice option. The ASUS looks pretty bad in comparison, I hadn't seen that shot before.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Just ordered the LG. Should be sent out today and arrive tomorrow. 3D Vision package will follow in ~2 weeks or so. :woot
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice. Let us know how that goes.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Seems like a good choice, on all reviews it looks second best to the Planar, but a lot better than any other 3D LCD monitor. That ghosting in the lower right angle with the DDD pattern is quite alarming though, but it seems while in game it's not that awful. I you have some time in your hands we you receive it, feel free to post pictures of that DDD image to see if the ghosting is as localized as it seems.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

32" OCB LCD was said to come out last year, and we still have press releases claiming its coming this year.
Brightness: 1400 cd/m2 in a 12,1’’ display with 176º viewing angle at 13,2 watts. Even, it can achieve values of 3.430 cd/m2 at 30 watts.
Spending 5-600 on TN display might not be the smartest move right now, it can't even do RGB right let alone 3D .
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

3D Vision kit arrived today. :)
Not sure what to think of it yet.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Burbruee wrote:3D Vision kit arrived today. :)
Not sure what to think of it yet.
Please try it out for a couple of days and come back and let us know how it goes. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Burbruee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burbruee »

Where can I find that ghosting test? I've installed TriDef trial but I can't find it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

There's some in this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 87&p=56516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The one that everyone is using for ghosting comparisons :
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... hla505p65r" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “3D Monitors”