Lightest 3D Glasses in the World is Samsung's Newest Claim

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Lightest 3D Glasses in the World is Samsung's Newest Claim

Post by Silversurfer »

I will begrudgingly admit that Samsung's ultra-lightweight 3D glasses don't look as bad as generic active shutter specs, but that's not saying much. Noses and ears, breathe a sigh of relief: they weigh just 28 grams. [Samsung Tomorrow
via OLED-Display]

http://gizmodo.com/5723219/lightest-3d- ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Lightest 3D Glasses in the World is Samsung's Newest Cla

Post by cybereality »

Those are the best glasses I have seen in a while. At least they put some actual designers on this. Now they just need some engineers to make curved LCDs.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

cybereality wrote:Now they just need some engineers to make curved LCDs.
Not going to interest me if it's going to augment the price of the glasses... :P
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Fredz wrote:
cybereality wrote:Now they just need some engineers to make curved LCDs.
Not going to interest me if it's going to augment the price of the glasses... :P
I think that curved lenses may be more trouble then they are worth. The problem is th alignment of the crystals in the LCD and keeping a consistent thickness of the liquid layer would be problematic. I think that we're likely to see curved lenses for the polarized 3D TVs before we see it for active shutter ones - that's if they make them at all.
I'd love to try these glasses out to see how comfortable they really are. I find having things resting on my forehead gives me a headache more then on the nose, so I'll reserve judgement. Some good ideas coming out though.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well they already make polarized glasses with slight curve to them, I have a couple. They look just like any regular sun-glasses. And they are way lighter than any active-shutters are, so I am not sure how Samsung can make a claim like that.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Well they already make polarized glasses with slight curve to them, I have a couple. They look just like any regular sun-glasses. And they are way lighter than any active-shutters are, so I am not sure how Samsung can make a claim like that.
I thought so. It shouldn't be that much different to the polarized sunglasses you get. I would think there would be some technical issues to the active LCD having a curve though since they rely on very precise thickness of the liquid crystal layer.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

glasses, CY-SWC1000A charging base at CES

Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”