Please advise a plasma TV for my specific tasks

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Petr
One Eyed Hopeful

Please advise a plasma TV for my specific tasks

Post by Petr »

I create a second prototype of a holographic table.
About the first prototype:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRvZEhLwXWE[/youtube]
The system renders a stereo image, tracking the location of the user's eyes. This allows create the illusion of three-dimensional object, standing on the table. Now I use a projector Benq W600 120Hz. This allows to display two video streams at 60 Hz for each eye. Glasses - NVidia 3D Vision :shutter

The use of liquid crystal displays is impossible due to polarization. LCD screen can not be viewed from different angles. Liquid crystals in shutter glasses are polarize the light.

In a second prototype, I want to make an image for multiple users. Therefore, we need 60 Hz for each eye. Are there any plasma TV that supports 240 Hz or more? If anyone tested these, please help me to choose.
Last edited by Petr on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Please advise a plasma TV for my specific tasks

Post by cybereality »

I think there are some plasmas with as high an internal-refresh rate of like 400Hz. But your problem is going to be feeding a signal into the display. Pretty much any of those TVs will only accept up to a 60Hz input (even HDMI 1.4a still operates on 60Hz). So I do not think you could even run 1 single user at 120Hz page-flipping using any consumer level HDTV. I wouldn't even know how to get started on multi-user. I mean, I know stuff like this has been done on prototype displays shown at trade-shows (meaning 2 user 3D) but I doubt it will work with any off-the-shelf equipment.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Petr, thats awesome. Please keep use informed. If you have more video you could share. I would like to see. Agian that looks awesome.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

AWESOME!!! :o
This looks really great.
Are you going to be creating this as a commercial product? If not (or even if you are, but are able), I'd love to know more about this and how you are tracking the viewer. I would think it especially difficult to implement since you must change the views and renders independently along both axis for the stereoscopy to work correctly as opposed to having the offset along just a single (horizontal) axis for displaying on a wall where you can assume the viewers eyes are horizontal.
Are you using your own renderer for this?
As for your question on plasmas, I think that Cyber may be right since the HDMI spec usually only accepts 60Hz input Max. On the other hand though, if you use TV glasses, I believe they are 120 Hz usually so you should be able to just render at 60 Hz per eye and the TV should double this when it's displayed which is the requirement.
240Hz or more may be pushing it though. The plasmas may have sub-field refresh of 400 or 600 Hz, but I don't believe the processors will actually be displaying these as unique frames, but probably refreshing at that rate from a high speed frame buffer. Maybe someone will correct me on this though.

Return to “3D HDTVs”