Rollei goes 3D with Power Flex 3D point-and-shoot

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Rollei goes 3D with Power Flex 3D point-and-shoot

Post by yuriythebest »

There may still be some camera makers resisting the 3D trend, but that's getting to be an increasingly dwindling lot -- the latest to jump into the game is Rollei, the 90-year old German manufacturer, which has just announced its new Power Flex 3D point-and-shoot and accompanying Designline 3D photo frame. As you can see above, the camera looks fairly unremarkable expect for that second lens, and the specs are also pretty much in line with some similar 3D point-and-shoots, including 720p video recording, 5 megapixel still images, and a 2.8-inch LCD 'round back that promises to let you see your images in something resembling 3D without the need for 3D glasses. The photo frame also apparently uses the same sort of no-glasses 3D, but thankfully packs a larger 7-inch screen -- check it out after the break. Still no word on a release over here, but both the camera and photo frame will be available in Europe next month for €300 (or just under $400) apiece.
..so basically it costs the same as the Fuji 3d, but has 5 and not 10 megapixels, and a 2.8 and not a 3.5 inch 3d LCD? no thanks
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Rollei goes 3D with Power Flex 3D point-and-shoot

Post by cybereality »

Hmm... could be OK. Price seems a bit high for a no-name, but any progress in this space is good.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

yuriythebest wrote:and a 2.8-inch LCD 'round back that promises to let you see your images in something resembling 3D without the need for 3D glasses.
... and I assume the image is displayed in side-by-side for crosseyed viewing? No glasses needed for that. lol
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

please specify the thread , its a camera or something cuz I tought its a dataglove???!
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

android78 wrote: ... and I assume the image is displayed in side-by-side for crosseyed viewing? No glasses needed for that. lol
No, the LCD is auto-stereo. I am assuming it is probably using a parallax barrier display although Pocket-Lint claims it is based on lenticular:
It will come with a 2.8-inch lenticular LCD screen at the back allowing you to view 3D images without the need for glasses.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37484/r ... hoto-frame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine wrote:please specify the thread , its a camera or something cuz I tought its a dataglove???!
The thread title says "point-and-shoot" which is a term that refers to low-end consumer cameras.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Seems this is a rebranding of:

Inlife Easy 3D 820 pocket camera for $259
http://www.techchee.com/2010/11/26/inli ... a-for-259/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want more 3D video capturing in your life, Inlife Easy 3D 820 is a handy pocket camera that allows you to record 3D video with ease. The pocket-sized camera is able to record 720p HD video in 3D via its dual lens and 12-megapixel sensor.

The Inlife Easy 3D 820 camera also packs a 2.8-inch autostereoscopic 3D LCD screen which allows you to watch 3D movies right on the screen with naked eyes. It also has an HDMI output so you can hook it up to a large HDTV screen for 3D playback. It records directly to SD cards. If you want one, the Inlife 3D pocket camera is now available on Amazon for $259, so you can capture in 3D for any Christmas events that you’ll be having.
Interestingly this one is 12 megapixels so the Rolei one is worse.

Say what you will, but it's nice that there are more and more 3d cameras out there
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I have been eying that 3DinLife 820 unit. I can get it for $250, while the W3 is like $350. Not sure which is better, I am assuming the W3 just on the Fujifilm name alone, but you never know. $250, I could probably swing, $350 seems like an investment. Wish this stuff was just a tad cheaper. At $199 I would have something already. Although I did just spend $250 on a new video-card without really thinking about it, so I guess its just a matter of priorities.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I have been eying that 3DinLife 820 unit. I can get it for $250, while the W3 is like $350. Not sure which is better, I am assuming the W3 just on the Fujifilm name alone, but you never know. $250, I could probably swing, $350 seems like an investment. Wish this stuff was just a tad cheaper. At $199 I would have something already. Although I did just spend $250 on a new video-card without really thinking about it, so I guess its just a matter of priorities.
the Fuji has a higher stereobase and much larger screen
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

yuriythebest wrote:Interestingly this one is 12 megapixels so the Rolei one is worse.
They could still be the same. Sometimes manufacturers uses interpolation inside the camera to make the ccd looking bigger. I don't know if this still happens though...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”