Optoma's 3D Projector Adapter Will Cost $500 From Next Month

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Optoma's 3D Projector Adapter Will Cost $500 From Next Month

Post by Silversurfer »

Optoma's 3D-XL comes in the shape of a little black box, which grabs content from Blu-ray players, PS3 and other 3D sources, and connects them to Optoma projectors as well as the numerous DLP link-compatible projectors available.

The 3D-XL has two HDMI 1.4 inputs and one HDMI 1.3 output, and comes with just one pair of active shutter glasses. On sale in December before Christmas, it'll cost $499 and $83 for every additional pair of 3D glasses. [Amazon via 3D-Display-Info]

http://gizmodo.com/5699422/optomas-3d-p ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer

Re: Optoma's 3D Projector Adapter Will Cost $500 From Next M

Post by Silversurfer »

I'm confused, does this make a good combination with the Optoma GT700 projector, seems to be little too cheap/bargain combination for 1080P S-3D? :?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

for the price of a GTX580.

still laughing
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

tritosine wrote:for the price of a GTX580.

still laughing
As SilverSurfer points out, this is a pretty great price point. Especially considering it has a much more niche market than most 3D products that companies put development money towards.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think $500 is reasonable if you already spent the money on an Optoma home-theater projection system and just wish to upgrade to 3D.
Frixzon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frixzon »

Does anyone know if the adapter will work with the nvidia 3d vision and with other manufacturers than optoma?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

500 is good? Well, ok! :)

( greedy manufacturer mood: on)
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Frixzon wrote:Does anyone know if the adapter will work with the nvidia 3d vision and with other manufacturers than optoma?
I am sure this box unit will work with 3dtv play and not so sure about using it with other projectors. Maybe email Optima and ask them. I am sure they would sell you one anyways. Almost seems like it would work with other 120hz 3d projectors as it only needs 1.3 hdmi, does that only need 60hz for framepacked format?
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

According to Optoma webpage here, this only work with "3D Capable DLP Projector", and native resolution is 720p. So this does not magically make a 2D-only projector into 3D, nor does it give cheap 1080p S3D.

This is basically a "3D signal format converter", allowing older "3D ready (supports 120Hz input signal)" DLP projectors to accept the new "HDMI 3D" input formats, very similar to Mitsubishi's 3D adapter for their older "3D ready" DLP HDTVs. I think that one costs ~$100.

I'd on tritosine's side about $500 being way too expensive. I expect some new 2011 3D DLP projectors will appear soon that will natively accept "HDMI 3D" signals, with little price premium compared to the older "3D ready" DLP projectors (if we don't consider the glasses). If not from Optoma, then from other companies like Acer. This is already happening with 120Hz 3D computer monitors.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, $500 is overpriced, but if you already spent $1000+ on a Optoma projection setup (say, last year) than an extra $500 is probably not going to break the bank. Certainly a better proposition than having to buy a brand new projector (which is what most other companies are making you do). At least Optoma is offering a choice to their customers. Personally, I think it should be priced around $200, but $500 is not totally outrageous. Now I wouldn't recommend anyone go out and buy an Optoma projector because of this, but if you *already* have the projector, maybe its a nice option.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I see it as a mostly nice gesture to older users, like you said, giving them a choice. The fact of the matter is that there are not many people who will buy this, and not many people who would have a reason to, either. I would be willing to bet the price is a result of the bean counters in the company insisting that they try to make back the money put into developing, testing, and marketing it. If you asked the people who are behind it, I am sure they would love to have it at a lower price, but sometimes corporate politics mean there has to be compromise.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Actually now that I think of it this unit may not work with nvidia 3dtv play as it seems they only support certain 3dtv and projectors through their edid protocol, so i am not sure if they will add this to that specification.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing as Mitsubishi did and lock the EDID to Optoma products only. And you can get around it, but if you factor in the cost of buying another device to spoof the EDID, you might as well just buy a new projector.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

powerstrip or quadro driver on geforce can rewrite EDID on projectors, ppl used to repair faulty H5360's this way (when they arent using the .inf solution)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”