Nvidia Denounces AMD For Optimization Of Catalyst Drivers

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Nvidia Denounces AMD For Optimization Of Catalyst Drivers

Post by gisabun »

"Nvidia is accusing rival graphics chipmaker AMD of optimizing default settings baked into the cards’ drivers to gain an unfair performance advantage for its high-end GPUs.

Nvidia cited the findings of several Web sites that conduct computer hardware reviews and testing, including ComputerBase, PC Games Hardware, 3Dcenter.org and Tweak PC , which are claiming that AMD lowered the texture filtering settings for its Catalyst 10.10 and 10.11 drivers. AMD released the drivers last month alongside its high-end Radeon HD 6800-series GPUs."

More at source: http://www.crn.com/news/components-peri ... rivers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nvidia Denounces AMD For Optimization Of Catalyst Driver

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, like Nvidia is a stranger to this game. What do you think the whole "Way its Meant to be Played" is all about?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Well intel was caught doing this with some of their processors, and what happened was that you could buy a 50 dollar card to unlock more cache for the processor and ultimately make it faster just by installing an intel program patch and buying the card from best buy to redeem.

I'm not totally keen on processors for gpus but should'nt they be hitting past 1ghz by now? Whats with this 700mhz stuff, I remember having a pc at 800mhz and going to a pc with a 2.4ghz was a huge difference. Should be the same for gpus, I just don't see the 2 years double speed multiple there.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

The reason clockspeeds haven't risen with graphics cards in the same way they have in CPU's, is that rendering is an embarassingly parallel problem, so it's much more effective to go wider than faster.
For CPU's going wider doesn't help you the same way, you just can't schedule the instructions effectively, so they have to chase clock speeds, and as we've seen more recently put more individual processors on the silicon.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”