NVIDIA Vision Kit

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
larrymurphy02
One Eyed Hopeful

NVIDIA Vision Kit

Post by larrymurphy02 »

Hi guys,

Stumbled across your forum and into the world of 3D by pure chance. While on holiday in Vegas i purchased a Toshiba A665-3DV as it was a steal at the price and i generally liked the look of it. It wasnt until i got back to the hotel i realised it came with the NVIDIA Vision kit. I thought it may be gimmicky but was quite impressed watching the 3D demo videos etc.

On my return journey home, like a tool i didnt pack the IR Emitter properly and it got destroyed, its smashed and no longer functioning, big thanks to Virgin for their impeccible baggage handling techniques.

I've got two questions leading on from the above;

Firstly, i cant find a replacement NVIDIA USB IR emitter anywhere on the internet sold alone. I can only find complete VISION kits. Does anyone know of where i could source oneor at least a compatible replacement.

Secondly, has anyone any knowledge of the PS3 and its 3D capabilities and wether or not it would be compatible with VISION kit.

Thanks in advance from the 3D newbie,
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: NVIDIA Vision Kit

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia does not sell the IR unit alone. You can buy a extra pair of glasses, but not an extra emitter. You will have to buy the full 3D Vision package. Of course, this is good because you can now watch content with 2 people, which you may want. You might also have luck selling the extra glasses if you don't need them.

Nvidia 3D Vision is not really cross-compatible with PS3 3D. PS3 uses HDMI 1.4 for 3D, which only works on 2010 model 3D HDTVs. These TVs come with their own glasses that only work on that particular brand TV. So you will not be able to plug the PS3 into your laptop and play games in 3D. Similarly, you cannot use the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses on a Sony 3D HDTV to play PS3 games. For that you would need to use Sony brand 3D glasses. So 3D Vision is basically for PC gaming only.
larrymurphy02
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by larrymurphy02 »

Gotcha....... Kinda.......

So could I theoretically use a 3D tv as an external display from my laptop using a HDMI cable and the NVIDIA vision kit would work that way......

It's a bit of a ball ache the demos seemed excellent so I though it could be worth the investment but without a universal standard across all platforms i can see people having to throw money at this hand over fist.....
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well with select Nvidia GPUs, you can output to an HDMI 1.4 compatible 3D HDTV. You can see a list of the compatible units here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... html#3dtvs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”