Brand new Headplay for $149!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Brand new Headplay for $149!

Post by PalmerTech »

Dell was selling them for $100, they ran out of stock, then put more up at $150. Still a deal!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... h#Overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have heard rumors that Headplay is now just a one man operation, selling off all of the excess stock. Their forum is overrun with spam, would seem to match up. Perhaps he sold them all off to Dell to liquidate?

I bought one. :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Brand new Headplay for $149!

Post by cybereality »

Hey, not a bad deal at all. Don't think I really want one, but I'm sure some people will.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I might even just sell it after playing with it a little. The CHEAPEST I have seen one on eBay is $180+shipping, and they go for $230-250 all the time.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I mean, I love the look of it, but I am not sure I need to get a headset with dubious modern compatibility.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yeah, that makes sense. I am mostly getting mine for:

1. To make a proper review
2. To document the internals
3. Use for 2D stuff
4. Might try the new IZ3D drivers out with it a bit. All I have to do is keep the FPS above 60, should should be doable on a lot of games at a mere 800x600.
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

may be too late for you, palmer, but:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segt ... l=en&cs=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D

$100 bargain.... But ships in 6+ weeks.... and probably not to the UK
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

But 34º diagonal.... : / I wouldn't get it even for free.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

crim3 wrote:But 34º diagonal.... : / I wouldn't get it even for free.
Well in that case you would be throwing away a perfectly good (set of?) SVGA displays with driver boards, I have heard that the headplay only uses one such device, which is a PITA. But imo whether paying $100 or $300 you would still get a bargain set of displays, which you would just have to try and mount.. somehow.... I'm working on this issue now with some Kopin 11mm VGA devices.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Zach, a bunch of people on RCgroups were talking about that. A few of them got in, but most of them got emails that the coupon is no longer valid, and they are now getting them for $135. The $15 difference was worth it to get it quickly, to me at least. Also, the coupon is not showing up for me anymore, is it for you?

And crim, it is 36 degrees. And has adjustable IPD and focus, which is important for me, as I am a bit short sighted. It is supposed to be at least a decent headset.

Hopefully the display is at least 0.7", because I have some optics for that.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Is the 3D better than Shutter glasses with the Headplay ?
It has a single screen so it must be "Shuttering" back and forth from eye to eye.
I was just wondering if the 3D looks the same as with shutter glasses where you get some ghosting of the two images and can't use alot of seperation.

ancjob has a pair and say's the 3D is great.
Has anyone else seen the 3D these can produce ? Ghost or no ghost ??? LOL
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

That is one reason I want them, so I can test them. They do use a shuttering solution, but it is supposedly excellent, with little to no ghosting.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Ah, yes, I didn't think about it as a source of spare parts. My relationship with computers it's now limited to a quick simulated flight from time to time :/
(well, and the one I use at work, but it doesn't count for the matter)
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
user867
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user867 »

n41. It says it's not shipping til Febuary 22nd, tho... :| Anyone else getting that...?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Holy bejesus. I just checked my estimated arrival date, it is February 11th. :o

Damn.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Great buy.
As you know i had one of these for a while but decided to sell it for a few reasons. The focus bothered my eyes even though i don't wear glasses but anything closer than about 7 inches gives me eye strain. It is not very comfortable strapped tight around your head. You are constantly trying to move the thing to get a clear view in both eyes, a little off and parts of the view go black, it was like trying to play a game with a kids on your back holding onto your face and covering your eyes randomly.

If those things don't bother you as much like is an awesome bey still. The 3d is excellent, no ghosting or flicker that i remember. The shuttering system they use is genius and should be followed up, I think i read it is 300hz or something.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Woo! My order shipped! Guess I will not be waiting long, after all. 8-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, you don't know how they shipped it. Might be coming on a camel's back!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

It arrived this morning! :D

Been testing it out. The presentation and build quality, at the least, are far above most HMDs I have used. Will have to report more later.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

PalmerTech wrote:It arrived this morning! :D

Been testing it out. The presentation and build quality, at the least, are far above most HMDs I have used. Will have to report more later.
Would love to hear what you think of it.
And please tell me how the 3D looks compared to shutter glasses, such as flicker and ghosting/double image.
I know I've asked this before but the 3D quality of the Headplay is what I want to know about the most..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech wrote:It arrived this morning! :D

Cool, let me know how that goes.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey PalmerTech,
Did you post a review somewhere that I missed or are you having too much fun with the Headplay to stop and post one ?..LOL
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

No time for a review at the moment.

In short? Works great for 2D! Fantastic. Playback of 3D videos from a USB flash drive is great, as well. Using IZ3D drivers is hit and miss, though.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

3dvison wrote:Is the 3D better than Shutter glasses with the Headplay ?
It has a single screen so it must be "Shuttering" back and forth from eye to eye.
I was just wondering if the 3D looks the same as with shutter glasses where you get some ghosting of the two images and can't use alot of seperation.

ancjob has a pair and say's the 3D is great.
Has anyone else seen the 3D these can produce ? Ghost or no ghost ??? LOL
-----------
i have emagin z800 ,and my favourite Headplay...
i do not know what tech hedaplay uses but the 3D is great....
i have 800x600 both LCD-LCOS [headply] and the OLEDs[emagin z800] but i come back to headplay for 2D and 3D - great LCD only if it had not been reflective [takes time to adjust on the head] and the bulky...

Z800 has great optics - no strain at all even if you wear it all day but the colors do not look that great! - i come back to headplay ....for serious viewing [2D/3D]

UNFORTUNATELY - not a lot of software in field seq mode...i have most of the movies in anaglyph format hence waiting for wrap 1200...

I am still looking for headplay like LCD in light-weight sun-glasses style...[true 800x600] and FOV >= that of headplay with modern inputs....

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”