Sharp Uses its Glasses-Less 3D Screens in Two Android Phones

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Sharp Uses its Glasses-Less 3D Screens in Two Android Phones

Post by Silversurfer »

A few months back I tried out a glasses-less 3D prototype from Sharp, where the cameraphone took "3D" photos and made them pop out in their parallax barrier screens. That tech's now in two Android phones—for Japan, anyway.

The Galapagos 003SH and 005SH phones will launch on the Softbank network, with both phones having 3.8-inch WVGA screens. A few things separate the two, such as a 9.6MP camera on the 003SH and an 8MP lens for the 005SH, plus there's a slide-out QWERTY keyboard on the latter too.

Sharp and Softbank haven't said whether you'll be able to take photos in their quasi-3D format, but I imagine that's the case. They've also partnered up with Capcom for some pre-loaded 3D games, including Mega Man, Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights, and Resident Evil: Degeneration.

You and I won't be seeing the light of day of these phones, but I'm glad Sharp's getting some usage out of their 3D tech, and not just Nintendo. [Softbank via Akihabara News via 3D-Display-Info via AndroidCommunity]

http://gizmodo.com/5681362/sharp-uses-i ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Sharp Uses its Glasses-Less 3D Screens in Two Android Ph

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Capcom is going to be making games for it. This could be interesting.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Naw, not really. Capcom has a division that ports games to emerging and low volume systems, they work apart from the normal team. There are quite a few Korean and Japanese phones that have some Capcom games on them, and the linux based gaming PMPs made by Gamepark Holdings like the GP32, GP2X, Wiz, and Canoo all had deals with Capcom at one point.

They tend to be one-off licensed deals at launch, where they hand over distribution to the maker of the phone (Sometimes pre-loaded, sometimes sold for a few bucks in their online store). Been going on for long before any of this Android or iPhone "app store" stuff. :P The quality is generally not great (They are generally shoddy ports using SCALED graphics/sprites/background, terrible for 2D art based games), they will not release any new titles, etc.

I love Capcom, they are my FAVORITE game developer, but them having games on this means little. :(
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

cadillacs & dinosaurs with awsum soundtrack pls ;)

When they start putting OCB LCD panels into handhelds, & picture q going to kill desktop LCD's,that will be interesting.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”