X3d shutter glasses (Help)

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
vitosky
One Eyed Hopeful

X3d shutter glasses (Help)

Post by vitosky »

Hello, here are a few questions for the experts of the board:
-X3d shutter glasses are based on the same hardware of eDimensional ones?
-The two systems are compatible?
-In other words, is worth buying x3d cheaper glasses to use with drivers (nvidia-edimensional-Iz3d) developed for eDimensional?
Thanks!
Asus P5K Mainboard/Intel E8400 3.00 GHZ/Geforce 7900 GTX 512 MB/Monitor CRT Lacie Electron Blue II/Edimensional Shutter Glasses
Asus Striker Extreme/Intel Xeon X5460 775 mod/Geforce GTX 680/Monitor 3D Asus VG278HR/3D Vision 2
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: X3d shutter glasses (Help)

Post by Fredz »

Weird, this post is exactly the same as this one from 2005 on stereo3D :
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1134527061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vitosky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vitosky »

Yes i have copied the post becouse i'm italian and i speak english very few, you can help me?
Asus P5K Mainboard/Intel E8400 3.00 GHZ/Geforce 7900 GTX 512 MB/Monitor CRT Lacie Electron Blue II/Edimensional Shutter Glasses
Asus Striker Extreme/Intel Xeon X5460 775 mod/Geforce GTX 680/Monitor 3D Asus VG278HR/3D Vision 2
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It really depends on which type of 3D display you've got. In 2005 the situation was a lot more simple since there was only one mainstream stereo driver (by NVIDIA), and it was able to work with any type of DDC glasses (like the X3D or the eDimensional).

But now, the NVIDIA stereo driver (3D Vision) doesn't support DDC glasses any more, so you're left with either the iZ3D or TriDef drivers which don't support these well. But you won't be able to use these glasses for recent 3D games or Blu-Ray 3D movies with most of the current 3D displays.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I used to have the X3D glasses. As far as I know the glasses themselves are the same as edimensional. However the dongle may be different. For example, I don't believe the X3D dongle supports "line-blanking" mode needed for interlaced support. I think the e-dimensional dongle might. But the glasses themselves use the standard 3-pin VESA stereo plug, meaning they should be interchangeable with other glasses from this era (ELSA, etc.).

Keep in mind that there is not much technology today that will work with these old-school glasses. Some of the 3D-Ready DLP TVs from recent years included the 3-pin port. But pretty much all of the 3D HDTVs released this year only support their own proprietary wireless glasses. With PC monitors, the situation is just as bad. Almost all LCD screens are NOT compatible with shutter glasses, and even if they were, Nvidia dropped support with their drivers. Only way to get 3D shutter glasses on LCD screens is with the Nvidia 3D Vision. So I am not sure why you would want the X3D glasses. Unless you have a really old machine with a GeForce 7, XP and a CRT monitor.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:Weird, this post is exactly the same as this one from 2005 on stereo3D :
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1134527061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow dude! You have some memory!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Google is my friend... ;)
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

Stereoscopic player works great with pageflipping mode
with my Acer V700 120Hz 720p projector :lol:
Even with DLP Link glasses at the same time!
I don't see the white sync signal with my edimensional glasses!
Nice.
elric300
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by elric300 »

Hello,

Engaging in some forum necromancy here, hoping someone can help me out. I'm getting the old X3d system, it's pathetically cheap, but wish to know if I'll get any use out of it. Here's what I have:

Samsung Syncmaster 997DF CRT Monitor. I can get it to 1280x900@100hz.I'm not sure it'll go any higher without going down to 1025x768 or something like that. If it can do more, feel free to let me know.
GeForce 9800 Card
Windows 7.

If I hook these up and run at 100 hz, I'm assuming I'm restricted to the IZ3d drivers as Nvidia doesn't support this type of setup, right? Or am I missing any information that can allow me to use my Nvidia driver?
Also, can I get 3d Blu rays to play here via PowerDVD or Arcsoft? Or...what player should I use if that won't work?
Also, at 100HZ, how bad would the flickering be?

Any information would be VERY appreciated.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You should be able to buy the Nvidia glasses and use 3D Vision driver, but maybe not the very latest driver as I hear they may have dropped generic CRT support. Though even a driver from a few months back should function. You can try the IZ3D driver if you want with the X3D glasses, but there are issues with the software page-flipping sync. However, if you are only played old games where the frame-rate can safely stay above 60FPS at all time, then you may have some luck. Otherwise there will be sync inversions AKA instant headaches.
elric300
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by elric300 »

Hmmm. So, I'm assuming that picking up the x3d glasses would be a waste of time then? I had thought that if I ran them at 1280x1024@100hz, I could get maybe PowerDvd to play Blu Ray 3d for me,and a few old field sequential DVD's I have. And yes, play games that I could get 60fps or above for the 3d, there. Was looking at a temporary, cheap, situation until I get a 3d set to output to, probably a polarized one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You can try if you like, its probably really cheap anyway. The Stereoscopic Player in software page-flip mode is an option, as long as you are not watching full HD videos it might work. The main issue is that the new Nvidia driver does not work with generic shutter glasses. So Nvidia is a no-go. You may have some luck with iz3D, just know that it probably won't be plug-and-play. But for the cost it may be worth it to experiment until you get the cash for a modern setup.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”