Epson 1080UB FP - possible 3D capabilities (anaglyph)

Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Epson 1080UB FP - possible 3D capabilities (anaglyph)

Post by Aeroflux »

I just got a VERY interesting tidbit of info that still needs some hard evidence:
Malder1 at Audio/Video Science forums:

I've discovered funny thing. Epson 1080UB can display stereo anaglyph images/video without anaglyph glasses! You need polarized glasses which used in IMAX cinema.

Unlike other LCD projectors which outputs vertically polarized light, Epson 1080UB outputs red color in vertical polarization and green in horizontal polarization. Interesting, isn't it?

Now if we display anaglyph images in red-green colors we need NOT to use anaglyph glasses which causes weariness of eyes. Instead it we can use IMAX like glasses with different polarization.

The only problem we can't use usual projection screens or wall. It transforms ray of the projector to circle polarization. We have to use special aluminum coated screen or screens which keep polarization of light. Like ones used in 3D cinemas.
(link)

I've been researching front projectors at AVS (Audio/Video Science forums) for my all-in-one monitor (PC games, work, school, etc.) and have pretty much cut it down to one projector that has the best bang for the buck and best flexibility for LAN parties. I won't be able to buy the projector (and confirm this possibility myself) for a few weeks, but I thought this is just the kind of news the MTBS community would appreciate.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hah! sounds interesting! :D personally i wouldnt buy a projector for anaglyph stereo.. :D
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I can confirm that the different colors have different polarizations since i've tried a bit with my rig (not to get anaglyph viewing but trying to make my own stereopol filters). It's not easy making those so i bought a couple instead. :D. The colors in my beamers are aligned at 0° or 90° but i don't remember which colors that were aligned which. Anyway, this should work with enough clear colors and with 0°/90° polarized glasses.. But if you have one beamer, get another and a silverscreen too. ;)

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I wonder what's the use of that... You could use any projector, play it in anaglyph and watch with anaglyph glasses.
The difference is the used glasses and screen. The result should be a bad coloured picture (black/white) with not too much ghosting...

If you combine both (anaglyph and polarized glasses) you might be able to end up with nearly no ghosting...

Ah I see a possible positive point: Maybe you get a brighter image with polarizers?

What about a DLP projector with Shutters?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”