3D on av920 - is it really great...

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

3D on av920 - is it really great...

Post by ancjob »

Guys
i got my av920 [vuzix] just a while back
2D is excellent - almost like watching a true LCD - colors are bright , sharp and image is really good

Now comes the real thing the 3D....

these glasses support all popular formats[field seq/side-by-side/anaglyph] formats

i played the title -Imax [haunted castle field seq version]

i found the 3D field seq NOT good

while colors were vibrant and image sharp the monitor had bands [horizontal lines] may be refresh rate is low which was the same with all anaglyph formats i tried...

tried all settings - brightness/contrast/backlight etc but the horizontal lines were prominent and clearly visible as if it's like a grid [a horizontal wire mesh] i was watching the 3D video in...
really annoying ...

same DVD input played great on my headplay - but the colors were NOT great and sharpness NOT so good compared with AV920 - but this time no lines - absolutely clear...on my headplay

had this [AV920] played the 3D crystal clear - i'd have rated it better than headplay - for now headplay rules viz-a-viz field seq 3D [at least the screen is clear and 3D effect good]

i do not know whether it's my glasses [AV920] or the issue in general ....

has anybody also the same issue ?

How to resolve this issue with AV920 - any ideas i will treat this[AV920] as a 2D video display only...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D on av920 - is it really great...

Post by cybereality »

Hmmm.. interesting. Never tried the AV920, but I assume they use the same display module as the VR920, and I never had this problem on the VR920. How are you playing the 3D video? If you have a PC maybe you should try some other formats. There are some sample clips on 3dtv.at that are good to test the quality ( http://www.3dtv.at/Movies/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which should be played with the Stereoscopic Player. I would imagine outputting at side-by-side will give the best quality. Try that and let me know how it works.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Hmmm.. interesting. Never tried the AV920, but I assume they use the same display module as the VR920, and I never had this problem on the VR920. How are you playing the 3D video? If you have a PC maybe you should try some other formats. There are some sample clips on 3dtv.at that are good to test the quality ( http://www.3dtv.at/Movies/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which should be played with the Stereoscopic Player. I would imagine outputting at side-by-side will give the best quality. Try that and let me know how it works.
i use stand. dvd player to play the field seq DVD and direct the composite output to AV920 [field seq mode]
i does do 3D but the horizontal bands are seen like a [horizontal wire mesh]
i think it's low refresh rate which causes this as the same feed has no issues with headplay - crytal clear screen

it does the same for anaglyph video as well

also auto 3D does not work

so far tried only field seq and anaglyph stereo feed

So AV920 is just a 2D full color LCD to me which has sent i-cine Hi-res packing as it's 2D is simply amazing..i think that vuzix does not make a classy 3D product [they talk of Wrap 920AR - please first learn to make a great 3D then goto AR..hehehe your 3d headsets are poop!] just the 2D portable LCDs - that's it learnt it after being poorer by US$425

There is no 3D HMD - light weight and perfect - pity!
My search for light weight 3D goes on ...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Isn't your DVD player sending interlaced half frames to each display on your HMD ? That could explain the horizontal lines. Did you try with a PC sending side-by-side content ?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Fredz wrote:Isn't your DVD player sending interlaced half frames to each display on your HMD ? That could explain the horizontal lines. Did you try with a PC sending side-by-side content ?
the same DVD player when sending the signal to headplay [same dvd] to headplay shows crystal clear video in 3D [on headplay] so dvd player is ok , DVD is ok
the unit AV920 has issues for certain!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry to hear that man. Its hard to find a decent HMD. I would still suggest you try your luck with a PC and see if the quality is any better.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Sorry to hear that man. Its hard to find a decent HMD. I would still suggest you try your luck with a PC and see if the quality is any better.
yeah - i contacted seller only to be advised to contact Vuzix USA which i did
exchanged mails with vuzix - let's see...

Am so shocked that Vuzix foraying into AR yet they cannot make a decent usb powered 3D device or may be mine's a freak unit..who knows...
But again as 2D it's amazing the colors are bright / crisp than headplay...
But i still prefer Headplay for it's theater effect - BIG screen and great sound..
i'd say it's the best for 3D&2D if bulky size is to be ignored..great value for money <US $0.5k
cabot001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cabot001 »

I live in the UK and have the AV920s. I had this problem initially, but realised that it was caused by my DVD player being set to PAL (the European video standard) instead of NTSC. Once set to NTSC, the 3D from Field Sequential 3D DVDs works great. Also, make sure that the AV920s have had the latest firmware update (downloadable from the Vuzix website).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cabot001 wrote:I live in the UK and have the AV920s. I had this problem initially, but realised that it was caused by my DVD player being set to PAL (the European video standard) instead of NTSC. Once set to NTSC, the 3D from Field Sequential 3D DVDs works great. Also, make sure that the AV920s have had the latest firmware update (downloadable from the Vuzix website).
Pal - i tried that with my NTSC only sony DVP-fx950 - watching in 2d any regular video was ok but playing 3d with F.seq had small horizontal lines running throughout from left to right like a fine wire mesh

same DVD thru same dvd player does great 3d with my headplay ....

the issue is with low horizontal refresh rate of the unit...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think the issue is either with the DVD player or Vuzix's implementation of field-sequential. I am pretty certain if you try some of the other 3D modes that the picture should be perfect. At least that is how it is on the VR920 and they both use the same display module.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I think the issue is either with the DVD player or Vuzix's implementation of field-sequential. I am pretty certain if you try some of the other 3D modes that the picture should be perfect. At least that is how it is on the VR920 and they both use the same display module.
Well DVD player is out of question since the imax original dvd plays great and 3d is great also on headplay[connecting headplay via composite out - no changes at all in dvd player settings]

So the implementation of 3D field seq is an issue with AV920 and it does this for all modes in 3D you have those fine horizontal lines which can be seen clearly which irritates me a lot however in 2D mode - 2D movies work great !
So in nutshell 3D is BAD!
Vuzix sent me an RMA number but the sending it back is too much of trouble for me this unit is only worth US$170 and pretty pricey for 2D...

update : i returned the unit to seller on Amazon USA for a item price refund - thank god - i have the refund being processed now by amazon....

i will stay away from Vuzix for sure....lost US$130 in this Vuzix saga...

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”