Help with picking Nvdia 3d vision or zalman HD

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
vampiresmurf
One Eyed Hopeful

Help with picking Nvdia 3d vision or zalman HD

Post by vampiresmurf »

Hey guys

I have been looking over this forum for about a month now and have found much great information.
I think its time to jump into 3d :D but i have been tossing up in between 3dvision and a zalman monitor for weeks now :P

I know zalman has a smaller viewing angle and half resolution in 3d (being Full HD im not too worried, alltho i wouldnt mind hearing how it is)

nvdia gives a darker image , with HD resolution, can only be played on a nvdia gpu, flicker wich can give headaches but with a better viewing angle. and more ghosting than the zalman HD.
(do any of the new gen 120hz monitors reduce ghosting with 3d vision well enough to bridge the gap between ghosting with zalman and 3d vision? and if so, what 120 hz monitor model is that)

Here in Australia i can get a 24" HD zalman for 695$ or 21.5" HD for 445$ with iz3d drivers. or
Nvdia 3d vision kit bundled with Asus VG236H 23" for 680$

so a 15$ difference and 1" in monitor's

i would love to hear some feed back on what would be better seeing there pritty much the same price for both tech.

bloody decisions, im very indecisive haha :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help with picking Nvdia 3d vision or zalman HD

Post by cybereality »

Personally I would go with the Zalman. I've had the 22" model for like 2 years now and I love it. Ghosting is low (but still there on some content) and the general colors/contrast is on par with any other LCD display. Resolution is cut in half in 3D, which is noticeable, but not as bad as it may seem. In general the 3D images looks a little softer than a full resolution image but once you are playing a game it is easy to forget. The Zalman also has a very small viewing angle, but once you are settled in your seat its not a big deal. With the Zalman you can use the iz3D or DDD drivers, with Nvidia you are locked into just their driver. Zalman also works on YouTube3D, Nvidia doesn't. Zalman also works with ATI or Nvidia cards, Nvidia is GeForce only. Over I think the Zalman is the better choice. But either way you will probably be happy.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Proud owner of a Zalman 22" monitor, I wouldn't exchange it for an equivalent 3D vision display for anything in the world.
My reasons are mainly about software support and hardware compatibility. I have some software that do not support 3D vision but which I manage to get working with a Zalman display since I've got an ATI GPU, ATI compatibility is a must.

I have tried 3D vision at trade shows and all I can say is that I can definitely see the flicker effect and I find it uncomfortable. But as far as image quality goes, 3D vision has an edge.
The new 24" 3D vision displays have less ghosting than the previous 22" displays, but it's still there. If you want ghost-free 3D, you have to go for projectors.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
vampiresmurf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vampiresmurf »

Thank you very much
both cybereality and BlackShark
i have come across many of your posts on this forum about your monitors, im glad your loving them. its strange that not many people post there reviews online,hard to find peoples opinions about the zalman.

I have decided to get a zalman monitor :)
now im unsure if i want to spend nearly 700$ (au) on a 24" or the 21.5" wich will be a half a inch downgrade for me.
i am planning to make another computer with a i7 cpu and either a HD 5870 or a gtx 470-480 (alltho im wanting the gtx's less and less with hearing how hot they get and noisy.mmmm choices choices
3.5"'s for 250$ or 250$ put into my pc instead mmmm.

btw have any of you guys tested or seen the HD zalmans in action ?

Kind regards

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”