Samsung PN50C680 3D Plasma - better bang for the buck 3D?

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Samsung PN50C680 3D Plasma - better bang for the buck 3D?

Post by Anthony1 »

I just want to give everybody a heads up on the new Samsung PN50C680 3D plasma. These just hit the market in the last couple of weeks. Basically, it's a 50 inch 1080p plasma with 3D abilities. The thing that makes it unique, is the fact that it's priced pretty aggressively compared to the other 3D displays out there. I was able to get it for $1338 out the door. This even included the Samsung 3D starter kit that includes 2 pairs of glasses and the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu Ray. Since buying this C680, I've seen it even cheaper at $1299 shipped ( only $38 cheaper but still ).

Basically, I was looking to either buy the PN50C680 or the cheaper PN50C490. The C490 has a native resolution of 1360 x 768, which I thought would be kinda problematic for watching 3D Blu Ray's, as they would have to be downscaled to that resolution. Still, I was very much considering either a C490 or a C680. (it's about a $350 difference between the two, when you factor in the Ebay price for Monsters vs. Aliens). A few places out there have the C490 for $990 shipped, and they are included 2 free pairs of the Samsung battery powered shutterglasses. You don't get the Monsters vs. Aliens Blu Ray, but still....

So, I heard that Fry's Electronics had both the C490 and the C680 in stock. I decided I was going to bring my PS3 to Fry's, and see if I can try out some 3D gaming, and some 3D videos on both the C490 and C680. ( I have some 3D side-by-side videos loaded onto my PS3 hard drive ). So I get to Fry's, and they have the C680 on display, but they don't have a C490 on display. So I was only able to test out the C680. I hooked my PS3 up to it, and got everything setup properly, and started playing Super Stardust HD in 3D on it. I was very blown away by the results. It pretty much seemed exactly the same as the Panasonic VT20 that I owned temporarily. This was surprising to me, because the VT20 costs quite a bit more than the C680. I though for sure that I'd notice a downgrade in the 3D picture quality. Also, I've heard lots of Samsung owners complaining about ghosting on their Samsungs.

I also played the 3D demo for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, and I played Wipeout HD in 3D. I also tried some side-by-side videos. Everything looked awesome, and basically looked pretty much the same as the Panny VT20 that I had owned. I tried to get Fry's to match the deal that Vanns.com was offering, but they said they couldn't go that low, so I went home and ordered the C680 from Vanns.

I have the TV now, and I'm running it thru the break-in process with a special break-in dvd. I figure I'll run the break-in for the first 150 to 200 hours, so I can have the phosphors burned in evenly during that first 200 hour period. As soon as my break-in period is over with, I can start evaluating the quality of the TV much more, but so far I'm very satisfied with it.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Samsung PN50C680 3D Plasma - better bang for the buck 3D

Post by Freke1 »

The Samsung PS63C7705 (PN63C8000) seems to have little ghosting also (but other problems?) so I think Samsung is catching up! At least that is what this guy is writing:
http://dennisthomsen.dk/2010/07/samsung ... -settings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do like Samsung's prices! But I think it is important to see the TV before buying unless a lot of people agree on reviews because people have different tolerence etc. When I saw the Panasonic TC-P50VT20 plasma I was very impressed but I could see a little ghosting if I looked carefully and the demo Blueray had very little separation to minimize ghosting so one can be fooled. The main thing in my opinion is that these big TVs are awesome computer monitors with 50"+ and 0.001ms reponse time. I look forward to Your review.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

I used this a bunch more today, and I'm really, really impressed with the 3D quality. Right now, I'm not sure if there is a better deal out there, in terms of pure bang for the buck. Most places are throwing in the 3D Starter Kit for free with it. I ebayed the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu Ray that I got with the Starter kit, and it sold for $77 plus $3 shipping. Pretty amazing to me that they are going for that high. After all the crazy Ebay fees and paypal fees, I basically walked away with $65 in the clear.

Basically, I ultimately ended up paying $1272 for this TV, out the door, and with two pairs of the Samsung glasses. To me, the glasses are worth about $60 each, so, it's really like I paid $1152 for the TV, and then $60 each for the 2 glasses. I also actually like the Samsung glasses more than the Panasonics. The Samsung glasses fit my kids heads better too. The panasonics were always falling down off their faces.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

What about ghosting? On LED-backlit LCD TVs from LG and Samsung that I tried at the store, the ghosting was very noticeable, totally unacceptable.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

DmitryKo wrote:What about ghosting? On LED-backlit LCD TVs from LG and Samsung that I tried at the store, the ghosting was very noticeable, totally unacceptable.
Yep, ladies and gents... we have traveled back in time, like 10 years or so... It's ridiculous!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

DmitryKo wrote:What about ghosting? On LED-backlit LCD TVs from LG and Samsung that I tried at the store, the ghosting was very noticeable, totally unacceptable.
I too tried the LED backlit LCDs and was underwhelmed. There was a lot of ghosting!
The plasmas were a lot better. I have tried the Samsung PN58C7000 and Panasonic P50VT20 in store. Both of these were impressive in terms of 3D, the picture of the Samsung wasn't so great though. Comparing these side-by-side, the whites on the samsung all had a yellow tinge and a lot less definition in the bright area. I tried changing the contrast, sharpness and brightness, but it was constantly impacted by the bright blobby bits. It seems a shame as, for the most part it is a really nice unit, slimline 58" with really nice black brushed steel (or aluminium) frame that does 3D for $AU2500. The non-3D performance though seems no better then my 50" LCD so I think I'll wait for a while yet to upgrade. If the samsung had the same quality image as the panasonic, I would have purchased for sure.

Return to “3D HDTVs”