Vuzix wrap 230/Wrap 310 + Sony PsP

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Vuzix wrap 230/Wrap 310 + Sony PsP

Post by Dilip »

Has any one ever tried to use Wrap 230/Wrap 310 with Sony Play Station Portable

http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wra ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As these glasses support same resolution as PsP screen, moreover it supports video out through composite av (rca) cable which is supported by PsP 3000.

Why i think this could be a great combination

1) Unlike I-Pod Touch or I-phone, PsP has physical keys (not a touch screen) hence you
can afford to totally not to look at device screen at all. where as in touch sceen
device you can not play without looking at screen

2) You will get virtual 46-inch display as seen from 10 feet. quite big compared to PsP's own
display.

3) Fundoo immersive experience in racing games and F P Shooters.

Why sony should officially support or endorse this product

1) Works with 2D and common 3D video formats including side-by-side and anaglyph.

2) Onscreen menu display for video adjustments and 3D format selection.

3) If this works perfectly in sync sony can upgrade GPU of PsP with little more
GPU power and BINGO you can straight way release STEREO 3D without much R&D
of display technology As that part is already done by VUZIX all you need to do is
develop new or upgrade current titles with S-3D support algorithm (Side by Side).

4) Very economically priced gadget (App. 170 US$)

This combo has great potential to rule the market provided that Sony/Vuzix considers this.

I really like to know from people who have actually used this!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vuzix wrap 230/Wrap 310 + Sony PsP

Post by cybereality »

I have the Wrap 310, I use it to watch anime episodes from my iPod. I have never tried it with a PSP, but if the PSP has composite video out it should work. However I don't think there would be much advantage to doing this. Vuzix claims it looks like a 55" screen at 10 feet or something crazy and it doesn't. While their math is technically correct, if you have actually watched TV from 10 feet away you know its not that impressive. So I would say it looks more like a laptop screen at 2 feet or something along those lines. Still maybe bigger than the PSP screen but maybe not enough to justify the cost and hassle. And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Sony to support this for stereo 3d. Also as a side note: when you use it with an ipod/iphone it only works for videos. You cannot play games with it.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

one can consider some positive points
1) HMD can save the battery thats used for PsP's own display by turning it off (More time for
gaming).
2) HMD can give immersion effect being close to eye.(light shield is must in that case :geek: )
3) If 3D is well implemented on these HMD with PsP, Like Nintendo 3DS one will not need to
restrain in some sweet spot to keep 3d effect, which is tough cookie while playing exciting
games.
4) PsP can still be normal 2D for all while Keeping small 3D button and Firmware upgrade to
keep happy 3D loving mass too. no need to shift from one field still gains of next field.
5) Option can be left for those who wish to play 3D by purchasing fully supported HMD without much changing traditional unit
6) There is always room for improvements via R&D in HMD

& My correction display resolution of PsP 3000 is Pixel Format: 480 x 272

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/sony-p ... 48763.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it gives component and composite video output

Still HMD is good way consider all positive notes
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i also thought of trying to use headplay PCS using the composite out however i never got to acquire psp or ps3 even! :D

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”