sView 2009 (really 2010) OUT!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

We are please to report that a new version of sView is available.  Written by Kirill Gavrilov, sView is a full featured stereo picture and movie viewer!

This is universal software that will work with a whole range of 3D solutions includling LCD shutter glasses (e.g. Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision), polarized monitors (e.g. iZ3D, Zalman), projectors, 3D HDTVs, head mounted displays, and more.  Pretty much all the important formats are supported including JPS, PNS, MPO, and more.
Read full article...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: sView 2009 (really 2010) OUT!

Post by Fredz »

It doesn't play videos on my machine (Debian/unstable). When I load one, it displays the metadata correctly in the console and the video seems to be read since the time advances, but the screen stays green. I have these errors displayed when I start the application too :

Code: Select all

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
And during the installation there were some other errors, although it did install fine in the end :

avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003' vers la ligne 5 paquet 'sview': description manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003' vers la ligne 5 paquet 'sview': maintainer manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0005' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': description manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0005' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': maintainer manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0007' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': description manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0007' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': maintainer manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0009' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': description manque
avertissement, dans le fichier '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0009' vers la ligne 6 paquet 'sview': maintainer manque
/usr/share/menu/sViewIV: line 1: Erreur de syntaxe près du symbole inattendu « sView »
/usr/share/menu/sViewIV: line 1: `?package(sView):needs="X11" section="Apps/View'rs"\
L'exécution de /usr/share/menu/sViewIV n'a créé aucune donnée en sortie ou a retourné une erreur.
/usr/share/menu/sViewMP: line 1: Erreur de syntaxe près du symbole inattendu « sView »
/usr/share/menu/sViewMP: line 1: `?package(sView):needs="X11" section="Apps/View'rs"\
L'exécution de /usr/share/menu/sViewMP n'a créé aucune donnée en sortie ou a retourné une erreur.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:It doesn't play videos on my machine (Debian/unstable). When I load one, it displays the metadata correctly in the console and the video seems to be read since the time advances, but the screen stays green. I have these errors displayed when I start the application too
Please provide more information. Is there GUI in application in place? Has you problems with image viewing?
If sound plays and GUI rendered this maybe problem with opening video stream in the video (not supported by current version of FFmpeg for example).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

gkv311 wrote:Is there GUI in application in place?
Yes, the GUI is there and correctly displayed.
gkv311 wrote:Has you problems with image viewing?
I haven't tried yet, I will once a get back to my Linux machine.
gkv311 wrote:If sound plays and GUI rendered this maybe problem with opening video stream in the video (not supported by current version of FFmpeg for example).
I'll try with other encoding formats and will keep you informed.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Pictures are displayed correctly but I can't play any video (H264, WVC1), I can hear the sound but I've always a green screen. The videos are played correctly with MPlayer, which uses FFmpeg.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:Pictures are displayed correctly but I can't play any video (H264, WVC1), I can hear the sound but I've always a green screen. The videos are played correctly with MPlayer, which uses FFmpeg.
Green screen? Please provide me your GPU model name and used drivers for it. This may be problem in OpenGL driver. For video color conversion YUV420p -> RGB processed via GLSL.
AMD FX-8350 / RadeOn HD6850 / ASUS Xonar D2X / 32GB RAM
ASUS VG27AH 27" (passive stereo, IPS) / Ubuntu 13.04 AMD64
sView (stereoscopic viewer) author
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

gkv311 wrote:Green screen? Please provide me your GPU model name and used drivers for it. This may be problem in OpenGL driver. For video color conversion YUV420p -> RGB processed via GLSL.
Graphics card : NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT
Driver version : OpenGL 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.35
richardhunt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by richardhunt »

Is there a way to change the aspect ratio during movie playback. A lot of the movie content on the web that is SidebySide is anamorphically compressed. This player plays the file compressed and have found no way of expanding it to the original aspect ratio.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

richardhunt wrote:Is there a way to change the aspect ratio during movie playback. A lot of the movie content on the web that is SidebySide is anamorphically compressed. This player plays the file compressed and have found no way of expanding it to the original aspect ratio.
You should go to View -> Display Ratio -> "your ratio".
By default it set to "Auto" (which use information from the videofile itself, but I noticed that many stereo files not set this or maybe container not support that...).
magestik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by magestik »

It didn't work here (Ubuntu 10.04) ... I just have a grey window. I can't launch it in command line without having a complete freeze.
GPU: Nvidia 8500 GT
Driver version: Nvidia 195.36.24
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:
gkv311 wrote:Green screen? Please provide me your GPU model name and used drivers for it. This may be problem in OpenGL driver. For video color conversion YUV420p -> RGB processed via GLSL.
OK, I found the problem with 'green screen' - the driver won't create requested texture format used for YUV planes in my player (on obsoleted hardware or with obsoleted drivers). I try find the way to choose better supported format and publish the fix.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

magestik wrote:It didn't work here (Ubuntu 10.04) ... I just have a grey window. I can't launch it in command line without having a complete freeze.
GPU: Nvidia 8500 GT
Driver version: Nvidia 195.36.24
If you see grey window without GUI - it could be iZ3D output module. I'll investigate why this module gives higher priority on Linux+NVIDIA systems and try to fix it in next updates. For now you can change output module using command line:
sView --in=image --out=StOutAnaglyph
hopes it help...
bablank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bablank »

Kirill, This is fantastic software. Can't thank you enough for making it available to others (and for free!). I have hundreds of 3D pics and videos and this app is the easiest way to quickly access and enjoy them. I use the Cooliris 3D plugin for Firefox quite often to view pictures, but having the ability to double-click on a 3D pic, have it open in sView, and then be able to jump forward and backwards through the pics in the same folder or run as a slideshow is totally awesome. Providing a 3D video playback option with similar navigation capabilites is a wonderful and truly useful tool. I hated having to indiviually load videos into Stereocopic Player or 3D Vision Video Player. I will always use your app for viewing 3D videos going forward. You have made them so much easier to enjoy. I discovered through trial and error that you have a number of keyboard shortcuts to make using your app even better. Please consider posting them on your website for reference. Thanks again for this truly remarkable app!
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

gkv311 wrote:
Fredz wrote:
OK, I found the problem with 'green screen' - the driver won't create requested texture format used for YUV planes in my player (on obsoleted hardware or with obsoleted drivers). I try find the way to choose better supported format and publish the fix.
I update the video player to be compatible with old GPUs. Note that currently updates available only in the mirror repository:
deb http://sview.cifro-city.ru/repository/deb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; stable non-free
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Nice job, the videos are correctly displayed now and at a good speed. Unfortunately, they are only displayed in 2D whatever I select in the Change Device menu.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:Unfortunately, they are only displayed in 2D whatever I select in the Change Device menu.
What does it means? Do you select Source Format from the menu? Which one? What is yours Change Device? Note that source format autodetection for videos works only in very rarelly cases and only one where it always work - the dual stream video.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Sorry, my fault, I just needed to select View | Stereo output | Stereo to view the videos in stereo, it didn't occur to me that it wasn't the default mode. I'll test the app a little bit more now. Thanks and congrats, great job so far !

I'm particulary impressed by the increase in rendering speed, I guess you've implemented the YUV to RGB conversion in hardware ? If that's not too much to ask, do you have any pointers about how you did it ?

Since our last e-mail exchange in May I've discovered that it's possible to do hardware page flipping synchronized to the vertical retrace on NVIDIA graphics card by using a kernel module : Compiling and using Genlock on Linux.

The hardware page flipping is limited to a 1024x768 resolution for now, but SoftGenLock contains code that should work for any resolution on NVIDIA graphic cards.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:Sorry, my fault, I just needed to select View | Stereo output | Stereo to view the videos in stereo, it didn't occur to me that it wasn't the default mode.
And it is... maybe you change this item while trying to broke green screen (selection is saved between application restarts)...
Fredz wrote:I'm particularly impressed by the increase in rendering speed, I guess you've implemented the YUV to RGB conversion in hardware ? If that's not too much to ask, do you have any pointers about how you did it ?
I used GLSL shader to perform YUV->RGB decoding. The Y, U, V planes filled as separate textures. Thats not just reduced frame decoding time (no color conversion via CPU) but also significantly reduce CPU -> GPU data exchange size (yuv420p has 0.5 weight of RGB).
Some shaders already available public. Here the color conversion itself:

vec3 colorYUV = vec3(texture2D(uTextureY, texCoordY).a, texture2D(uTextureU, texCoordUV).a, texture2D(uTextureV, texCoordUV).a);
            colorYUV.x = 1.1643 * (colorYUV.x - 0.0625);
            colorYUV.y -= 0.5;
            colorYUV.z -= 0.5;
            color.r = colorYUV.x +  1.5958 * colorYUV.z;
            color.g = colorYUV.x - 0.39173 * colorYUV.y - 0.81290 * colorYUV.z;
            color.b = colorYUV.x +   2.017 * colorYUV.y;
First step upscale insensitivity channel to whole PC range (16-235 to 0-255). Other steps perform conversion itself (you can find that code in many places on the web).
Not sure the coefficients are right for yuv420p produced by FFmpeg (I read somewhere that coefficients are slightly different in very similar format YCbCr). But is looks fine ;)
Fredz wrote:Since our last e-mail exchange in May I've discovered that it's possible to do hardware page flipping synchronized to the vertical retrace on NVIDIA graphics card by using a kernel module : Compiling and using Genlock on Linux.

The hardware page flipping is limited to a 1024x768 resolution for now, but SoftGenLock contains code that should work for any resolution on NVIDIA graphic cards.
Thats good. I read that:
Fredz wrote:To use this module, you need to configure a virtual screen twice the width of your current resolution by either modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf or by using nvidia-settings. When activated, the module will display the left and the right part of the virtual screen alternatively in synchronisation with the vertical retrace.
If the screen detected as separate monitors for left and right views - you can try Dual Output module in sView (which is actually designed for such use). If not - try to use View -> Stereo Output -> Parallel Pair; and adjust application position. Give me your suggestions if it work or not :).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Thanks for the info about the shader, I thought it was quite bad performance-wise compared to XVideo from what've read on the Web. I'm quite happy to see that I was wrong... :)

Concerning hardware page flipping, I just wanted you to know about it in case you would like to integrate it in your player. In fact it does already work with an unmodified MPlayer as I've explained here : Viewing S3D videos with MPlayer on Linux using Genlock.

But I thought it could be a nice addition to your application since you mentionned last time that the lack of hardware page flipping and DDC signal control made shutter glasses support problematic. Maybe as a plug-in since your app seems to support that.
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Fredz wrote:But I thought it could be a nice addition to your application since you mentionned last time that the lack of hardware page flipping and DDC signal control made shutter glasses support problematic. Maybe as a plug-in since your app seems to support that.
Sorry, but I can't understand how or what you suggest to integrate to sView? genlock itself (but this is a kernel module)? Or maybe I missed on listed topics that genlock could be used directly via application?
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

bablank wrote:Kirill, This is fantastic software. Can't thank you enough for making it available to others (and for free!). I have hundreds of 3D pics and videos and this app is the easiest way to quickly access and enjoy them. I use the Cooliris 3D plugin for Firefox quite often to view pictures, but having the ability to double-click on a 3D pic, have it open in sView, and then be able to jump forward and backwards through the pics in the same folder or run as a slideshow is totally awesome. Providing a 3D video playback option with similar navigation capabilites is a wonderful and truly useful tool. I hated having to indiviually load videos into Stereocopic Player or 3D Vision Video Player. I will always use your app for viewing 3D videos going forward. You have made them so much easier to enjoy. I discovered through trial and error that you have a number of keyboard shortcuts to make using your app even better. Please consider posting them on your website for reference. Thanks again for this truly remarkable app!
Some user tips (and keyboard short keys) were published on this page:
http://www.sview.ru/en/sview2009/usertips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's a great piece of software!
I have encountered a bug using dual outputs on win7-32, nvidia 8800gtx though. Movie plays fine windowed but when maximized (full screen) one projector blacks out, like it's deactivated or something. Any hints?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
gkv311
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gkv311 »

Likay wrote:It's a great piece of software!
I have encountered a bug using dual outputs on win7-32, nvidia 8800gtx though. Movie plays fine windowed but when maximized (full screen) one projector blacks out, like it's deactivated or something. Any hints?
Could you provide the screenshots?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Sure!
The fullscreen snapshot is entirely black but one projector shows the movie well (one eye view) while the other one is "blacked".
The displaydriver is set to extended desktop (as when using the iz3d driver). Iz3d driver is deactivated when playing movies though.

Fullscreencapture:

Windowedcapture:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

We are please to report that a new version of sView is available.  Written by Kirill Gavrilov, sView is a full featured stereo picture and movie viewer!

[caption id="attachment_15819" align="alignnone" width=""]sView 2009sView 2009[/caption]

This is universal software that will work with a whole range of 3D solutions includling LCD shutter glasses (e.g. Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision), polarized monitors (e.g. iZ3D, Zalman), projectors, 3D HDTVs, head mounted displays, and more.  Pretty much all the important formats are supported including JPS, PNS, MPO, and more.

Return to “MTBS News”