Using NVidia glasses with DLP link

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
mgb
One Eyed Hopeful

Using NVidia glasses with DLP link

Post by mgb »

I just bought some Viewsonic PJD6531w projectors.
The only glasses I could find in stock anywhere are the NVidia ones.
I hoped that they would work directly with the DLP projector - I mean all they need is 60Hz IR pulse right!

Has anyone any experience of hooking the NVidia glasses upto a DLP projector?

Can I just feed the emitter with a VSYNC from the monitor/graphics card - without the NVidia driver?
ie. is the sync input on the emitter enough or does it still need to talk to a usb driver?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Using NVidia glasses with DLP link

Post by tritosine5G »

... I have trouble with the nvidia bundle I dont recommend it. Can't find dlplink glasses ? How so ?

Acer glasses are called

Acer E1b DLP

for example. There are n+1 dlplink glasses now.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Unfortunately the Nvidia glasses require a PC to sync the glasses via USB. I don't think they are compatible with DLP Link.
mgb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgb »

I needed 5 projectors and 5 sets of glasses by noon friday.
Everybody has viewsonic/optoma glasses for $99 with 2-3week , or unknown, delivery
The local computer store had Viewsonic PJD 6531w projectors and NVidia glasses on the shelf (after I had gone around all 3 stores and their warehouse!)

The sdk for the NVidia glasses is a bit limited (especially if you are on openGL) - but presumably with the DLP projectors (and the correct glasses) I only need to send 120Hz to the video port and everything else is the projectors problem!

At least now I have enough sets of NVidia emmiters that i can probably cannibalize them to generate a signal from the projector Sync line
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

That emitter is crap because of USB. With AMD cpu expect to deal with drift every 2 days. Now I can't deal with it ( reboot fix wont work anymore) it drifts all the time and Im tired of it .

I'll hack the emitter the way Petrus does it (search for his username here), yeah, he sniffs the sync out of VSYNC. Meanwhile Ill go DLP_Link.

OpenGL ???? Win7 , 3d vision ??? You sure about 'that ?

BTW you plan to do this in these days, maybe I'd team up with you ( project: emitter hack). I have Petrus on MSN, you are welcome too.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

Yep, I had this drift too, especially on videos.
I resolved this issue by synchronizing my home-made emitter directly with the V-sync pin of the VGA port.

I am currently working on the extraction of an usable synchronization signal out of the DVI port so I can benefit of a slightly better picture.
mgb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgb »

Interesting in the menu of the Viewsonic (PDJ6531) is an option for DLP-Link or NVision
I wonder if this means that the projector can send an NVIdia compatible signal?
Can't seem to get the glasses to syn without the Nvidia transmitter running

Trying to test this now - but my photodiode is swamped by the visible image out from the projector (need an IR filter)
atariguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by atariguy »

Just grab a filter out of an old remote control or a dead VHS player etc.
Or even use an old floppy disk!

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/pho ... 43805.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Whats this 'drift' thing? This is Nvidia glasses you are referring to, right?
I ask, as I've recently had wierd intermittant issues with my Nvidia glasses. Most of the time, its perfect, no ghosting, nothing. However, sometimes its like something had changed, and the 3D is no longer perfect, as though the timing has drifted. Its most noticable at the top and bottom of the screen. Is this what you are referring to?

The only solution I have found so far is to do a system restore back to when it was working (which is a PITA, but the issue only happens once every few weeks). If this is the drift you are referring to, was the 'reboot fix' just rebooting your PC? If so, that definitely doesn't solve my issue either...

Return to “3D Glasses”