Let me save you all the time/hassle/money re PDP & LED 3dtvs

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Let me save you all the time/hassle/money re PDP & LED 3dtvs

Post by theadzter »

(sorry... meant to put this in general discussions. Don't know how to move it)

Hey all.

Quick backstory. LOVE 3d. Used to use e-dimensions on a ghosting to hell CRT back in the day.
Got a Samsung HL67A750 67inch DLP rear projection 3dtv shipped from the US to me in Sydney, Australia bout a year and a half ago.
Some of you may remember my tale of woe, when it arrived with a smashed mirror. It took me a YEAR to get fixed and working. All kinds of hassle with insurance and shipping co's etc.
BUT... it was worth it. Love my DLP with 3dvision. Absolutely ZERO ghosting, which I think goes a long way to explaining why I've never had a headache from hours of 3d gaming.
Downsides... the fact that it's checkerboard. I can see the half res in the image. The 'shine' or whatever you call it that is the flaw produced from using the checkerboard format for 3d. And i'm one of the few people who really notices the rainbow effect from DLP too. And it's not as sharp an image as you get from a flatscreen. Blacks can't compete with a plasma for example. But I'm nitpicking. It's still all kinds of awesome.

So when i heard Samsung/Sony/Panasonic are putting their new flat screen 3dtvs out over a year ago, I could not wait. I wanted to play Motorstorm and Wipeout and Pain on the PS3 in 3D so bad, that i was gonna get one of these new 3dtvs soon as they were available.

I knew PC gaming was only gonna be 720p at 60hz from NVIDIA. And that stung at first a bit. But then i thought... it won't be checkerboard! Full res! So a bit of AA, and it'll look sweet enough. ;)

Of course, then I saw the initial line up. Sony's and Samsung's LED backlit 3dtvs. I was horrified as I was demoed a Samsung unit, trying to understand how such a big company could dare try to kickstart the big new 3d push by releasing something that provided such a blurry/crosstalking ghosted-to-hell-and-back image. And I was amused as a Sony rep showed me 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs' in their city store, proclaiming '..and with our units... there's zero crosstalk...' as it ghosted it's friggin ass off right in front of me.

But there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Plasmas were coming!
Then they came... and more and more I read of tales of zero ghosting from excited forum peeps and reviewers alike. Tales of the refresh rates of plasmas having 1000x the refresh of LCDs. And hence, why plasma will be back in a big way thanks to 3D. As LCDs can't compete with the ghostfree 3d images of Plasma.

And so... because there were none on show floors, or in stock here in Sydney (since EVERYONE was trying to get one for the World Cup or League State of Origin games at the time). I double checked some reviews, and confidently went and ordered one from a local store.
I waited 6 weeks.
I got it yesterday and set it up last night.
I turned on the PS3 and started playing Wipeout in 3D.
And i have never seen so much goddamn ghosting in my life. (Exaggerated for effect. My CRT from 7 years ago ghosted a little bit more TBH)
I try Super Stardust. Pain. More ghosting than a haunted house.
Refusing to give in I try a few games on the PC using tridef drivers.
To be fair. SOME, actually worked quite well. Pure looked awesome, since it's mostly bright, and has a smeary oversaturated look to it, reducing your awareness of the ghosting (that was still there) . Bad Company 2, being bright and washed out in the sandy sections meant you frequently wouldn't notice the ghosting (that was still there).
But all in all it was the same as it ever was. Anything bright near anything dark on screen ghosted substantially.
I say to myself...That's it then. I'm going to return it tomorrow, and get the Panasonic, which absolutely doesn't ghost. I know so, coz i've read at least 2 reviews on reputable sights saying so. And a zillion Panasonic fanboys on forums evrywhere are claiming a ghost free experience. Asta la vista Samsung. It's been real. I'm a Panasonic lad now.
I call the store I bought it from. Turns out that they have a Pansonic on the floor now. I ask if i can bring my PS3 to hook it up and see for myself how well it copes. They say no problem. So I do.
I go in and watch some Astro Boy. Some deep sea footage. And play wipeout on it.
Ghosty, ghosty.... friggin ghosty.
And herein lies the problem. If you're somebody whose never seen/used DLP. Or is coming from a smaller lcd monitor (where you've had to deal with substantial ghosting already). Or maybe you saw the LED tvs, and then saw that the plasmas were 'better'. Maybe you just watched some bright demos in the shop. Played a game that lacked a lotta contrast between items on the screen. Or at worst, you blew a bunch of cash on one of these suckers, and just can't admit the 3D effect is at times simply woeful, because then you (like me) would be an idiot early adopting beta testing monkey, right?
Whatever. They're all ghosting. Every one of them. And it's unbelievable imho that they're out there for sale. If the image from these things in 2D looked like the crappy one you get in 3D, they wouldn't sell a single one. Thankfully... most of them look gorgeous in 2D. Which is why I'm keeping this for blurays. And I'll continue gaming in 3D on my DLP.
But there it is ladies and gents. Dont' belive the reviews. The jacked up fanboys in the forums. They ALL ghost. Sony, Sammy, Panny. Plamsa and LCD, LED lit or no. Go see for yourself... it's the only way.
This first gen is a lemon. Maybe they'll find a way to get around this problem in future versions. I'm not sure how. Coz from what I've read the last 24 hours, it all revolves around the times it takes for phosphors to decay or turn on and off or some such nonsense. At the moment they're not quick enough, and leave a trail. Super fast refresh rate or not. But I'm no dude in a lab coat. So I'd never assume to know what those crazy cats can think up to improve it.
Right now tho... it's a double image fest. And if you like headaches. You're invited.
Later.
Ad
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Let me save you all the time/hassle/money re PDP & LED 3

Post by Likay »

If it's this bad it's terrible. Why does the industry keep inventing everything from scratch once again? We oldschoolers already tried a number of solutions and actually most of us seem to have a better experience in the past compared to what's out today. Are you really sure about the panasonic because myself i've heard nothing else than good reviews and judgements?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Well,yeah, DLP delivers. :)

Texas Instruments should just force the others out of market , simply put. 8-)
Peltier cooled high perfomance LED , and rainbow is minimised / non existant.

...then maybe OCB LCD's would come, those supposed to be good. Or that Oled thing.
Last edited by tritosine5G on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Agree that dlp is the best for shutters. Problem is that dlp really doesn't suit televisionsets... Noone wants thick backprojection tellys anymore.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Likay wrote:Agree that dlp is the best for shutters. Problem is that dlp really doesn't suit televisionsets... Noone wants thick backprojection tellys anymore.
Possible with LED's (sortof), heat & price is problem yet.

But If you want wall screen, get a front projector anyways.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

FYI, according to local professional review, and my ~4 month experience, I can see ZERO rainbow at 120hz. Saw it maybe for 2 weeks ( Acer H5360). Maybe its there, but not for our eyes ;)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

When you mentioned peltier cooled led's it means that the main lightsource is led-based and cooled using a peltierelement. If this really is desired i don't know because peltiers consume a lot of electricity and are splendid heat generators... Which means that the cooler on the hot side needs to take care of both the heat from the led as well as the heat from the peltierelement. No big issue but a waste of energy.
Besides the active pixelelements will be lcd or whatever works in combination with backlighting and still rule shuttersolutions out...
Once they're making screen where the actual pixelelements are led's then we're closer. The problem is manufacturing a working matrix that's small enough for the regular consumer. There are led-panels as is today but they're huge. Those screens are also not suitable for shutters because the responcetime seems huge (i've noticed this with my eyes and the "lcd-like tearing phenomena" is absolutely unbearable with those. I'm 100% sure shutters will not work with displays like that using a decent refreshrate). This is because of the internal electronics and not a factor limited by the led's themselves.
Still: The best consumerlevel display as is today seems to be the zalman because the ghosting rejection is decent. The compromize is the half res but it doesn't seem to be a huge problem according to those who use one. Of the new shuttertech i've still only seen 3d-vision with the 2233rz and the experience is as best described as a joke... The 2233 is old by now but i still wonder how on earth someone with their mind in place could approve something like this...
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Likay wrote:Once they're making screen where the actual pixelelements are led's then we're closer. The problem is manufacturing a working matrix that's small enough for the regular consumer.
Hence OLED displays.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

crim3 wrote:
Likay wrote:Once they're making screen where the actual pixelelements are led's then we're closer. The problem is manufacturing a working matrix that's small enough for the regular consumer.
Hence OLED displays.
Absolutely. :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thats too bad. However maybe your outlook is a little bleak. I now I have personally seen the Panasonic plasma and it had very little ghosting. I am not going to say no ghosting because they all ghost like you said. But it was very low and well within an acceptable limit. Certainly better than my Zalman and the Zalman ain't bad. Maybe you were just spoiled by DLP?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Is there any way you can share pictures? Maybe a left eye, right eye picture through the glasses lens?

Regards,
Neil
theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by theadzter »

Is there any way you can share pictures? Maybe a left eye, right eye picture through the glasses lens?
Only got my crappy phone camera here Neil. Will get a better one and do that.
Thats too bad. However maybe your outlook is a little bleak. I now I have personally seen the Panasonic plasma and it had very little ghosting. I am not going to say no ghosting because they all ghost like you said. But it was very low and well within an acceptable limit. Certainly better than my Zalman and the Zalman ain't bad. Maybe you were just spoiled by DLP?
I'm guessing I have been too cyber. I mean, like I said... with the right source, it's fine. Pure actually looks quite good. Super Stardust on the ps3 is cool too. Ghosting is there, and pretty heavily... but you tend to get into the game and forget about it after a while i guess. And best case scenario, like in the Panny 'underwater footage' demo, the ghosting color kinda blurs and almost blends in a lot of the time. So if you're not looking for it, it might not bother you. But then there's the other time, where really contrasting stuff is obvious as hell. It'**** and miss.
If I hadda been on a zalman, an improvement alone would probably have been most welcome. But... there's simply NO ghosting on DLP. So to suddenly have these blotches of color and double vision on things is depressing as hell. Just doesn't seem right.

On another note, a strange thing I noticed... There's a 'sweet spot' using the glasses with these plasmas (Samsung and Panasonic) where you'll get the least ghosting looking directly at the screen in line with it. Lookup or down, and it becomes WAY more apparent. Problem is, the 'sweet spot' is only like 15 or 20 degrees. So settling back in your armchair and looking a little 'up' at the screen becomes an issue. It's like the lenses are blocking better in the middle than they are at the upper and lower edges. This seems odd. Does it make sense this would be happening?
And also, does that mean some of the new xpand glasses coming out may possibly improve it? Because it clearly can't be everything to do with the screens and nothing to do with the glasses if i can see more or less ghosting depending on the angle of the glasses to the screen. Confused...
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

crim3 wrote:Hence OLED displays.
I doubt we'll see a reasonably priced 40" AMOLED TV display in the nearest 10 years.
Likay wrote:Noone wants thick backprojection tellys anymore.
I do. I've got a Sony KDF-E42A (a 42" 3LCD rear-projection unit) and would gladly replace it with a 60" DLP, but they don't sell it here anymore.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

DmitryKo wrote:
Likay wrote:Noone wants thick backprojection tellys anymore.
I do. I've got a Sony KDF-E42A (a 42" 3LCD rear-projection unit) and would gladly replace it with a 60" DLP, but they don't sell it here anymore.
I know. I of course refered to the official retarded opinion of flat-tv's being the only option after the latest evolution of tv-tech even if quality is set aside.
Myself i'd like you prefer a better image and if the tv is bulky like a crt or backprojection i rather choose it before a crappy image of a "modern fashionright" flat-tv. Guess that's why i hang on to a dual projector rig which as absolutely one of the most slimmest and discrete devices there are today... (*joke, to clarify..) :D
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

theadzter wrote:On another note, a strange thing I noticed... There's a 'sweet spot' using the glasses with these plasmas (Samsung and Panasonic) where you'll get the least ghosting looking directly at the screen in line with it. Lookup or down, and it becomes WAY more apparent. Problem is, the 'sweet spot' is only like 15 or 20 degrees. So settling back in your armchair and looking a little 'up' at the screen becomes an issue. It's like the lenses are blocking better in the middle than they are at the upper and lower edges. This seems odd. Does it make sense this would be happening?
If you are mounting the tv high, have you tried angling it so that it's pointing down somewhat. What I mean by this is to have the top of the screen mounted further from the wall then the bottom. I'd be curious to know if that fixes your ghosting issues.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I've just seen a store demo of LG 47LX9500 and the ghosting is pretty bad as well, very noticeable on static objects. I'd say this is a clear pass... too bad manufacturers seemingly have rushed to the market with underperforming products at crazy prices. This will unfortunately have far reaching consequences for the future of stereo 3D at home.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Hmm, I bought me a Panasonic VT25 Plasma 3D TV. And I love it. I sampled the Sony's, Samsung, and LG 3D tv's and thought they had a little more ghosting than I like. The Panasonic blew me away. I took one home after watching about 15-20 minutes of the demo disc. I took it home and right from the start I was experiencing more ghosting than I really cared for. I'm playing the 3d Demo disc that came with the Panasonic 3d Blu-ray player and the PS3 games- Pain, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, MotorStorm 3D Rift, and MLB 10. Ghosting bothers my eye's and can lead to eye strain and headaches. Not good for the several hour gaming sessions I do. I found MotorStorm 3D Rift and Wipeout HD had fantastic 3d effects but the ghosting was going to be a problem. I personally started to question weather my very expensive Plasma was up to the task. On the 3rd night I paused Motostorm 3D Rift and went into the panasonic menu options. I turned the contrast setting from 100 to 32. And Shazaamm, No more ghosting and fantastic 3D game play. This setting eliminated all the ghosting in all the applications. There's simply no way a DLP 3DTV can compare. It's cheaper- thats for sure. But I needed the HD 3D Gaming that Plasma clearly delivers. My advice to anyone with the Panasonics or the other LCD brands from Sony, Samsung, LG, ect... Pause your application and play with The contrast, brightness, and color temp settings. I'll bet you will find the sweet spot and the 3D will pop. And more importantly- no more ghosting.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

I can second the fact that both the samsung 8 series plasma and the panasonic both ghost considerably. I bought the samsung this morning, tested on ps3, ghosted like the first post describes, and the I returned it and got the panasonic and it was only slightly better, but missing all the cool features of the samsung. I prefer my dlp projector anyday, in fact both these tvs made me appreciate it even more. Zero ghosting. And I mean None. I even cranked the contrast and couldn't even force any ghosting, no matter how hard I tried. Do yourself a favor and avoid these sets if your bothered by ghosting. If your just interested in movies, then maybe these are ok, but I'll take my XGA DLP projector over these in a heartbeat, cause all I care about is gaming on pc. Plus the screen is way bigger, resolution looks great with AA and 3D, certainly better than the pixellated mess that the ps3 in 3D is on both these TVs.

Sometimes it seems 3d goes backwards as it gies ahead... Sigh
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yup the Benq PB6240, I've been looking at this projector for use in a 2 projector + PC arrangement for a long time. But this year things have changed for me. After closely studying the 3D TV selections I have chosen the High Definition Plasma route. Now I do believe the rear projection DLP's and projector DLP's do have a nice quality picture to them. They're even labeled as High Definition. But for me, LCD and plasma are superior in picture quality. Now add the 3rd dimension to this cystal clear picture and you have what I'm experiencing. It's simply stunning. My Panasonic 3D blu-ray player produces a full 1080P image for each eye. My biggest complaint here is the slim pickens of true 3D blu-ray titles. And it's not going to get much better this year. I demoed a Sony 3DTV that had Motorstorm 3D running on it. The first thing I noticed was the pixelation. I passed on that one. But after I played around with my Panny Plasma for a few day's it accured to me that almost all the TV's I demoed were not properly fine tuned for 3D. I have no way of verifying this statement. But the people selling these TV's don't have a clue as to setting these sets up for proper 3D or demoing them either. And It does make a big difference. I'm also, looking forward to Nvidia releasing there "Play" software that will allow PC 3D games to play on these Panasonic plasma's.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Yes there is no arguing that Plasmas and LCD have better picture quality in 2D, but ghosting 3d is bad picture quality no matter how ya slice it, Id probably wait for the next series of 3DTVs to come out when they solve this issue
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

superior IQ , bah.
:lol:
Mitsubishi Laservue is DLP rear projection. Pioneer Kuro vs Laservue? ;)
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Im talking about DLP vs Plasma for 3D image quality. Would you say that ghosting constitutes excellent image quality? Plasma for 2D IQ is far superior, but if it ghosts in 3D and DLP doesnt, which has the better IQ?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Superior to what? WHY ? Perhaps you want better screen for you projector and light dampening in the room? Cuz Its not superior. Especially once 120hz FullHD pj's come out .
http://www.displaymate.com/ShootOut_Comparison.htm
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

DLP is superior to plasma for lack of 3D ghosting. Period.

Plasma/LED/LCD is superior to DLP for 2D Image quality (black levels, color, blah blah).

pretty simple no?
Dont you agree?

They dont mention 3D ghosting artifacts in that link you sent, or 3D at all for that matter. Im talking about 3D IQ only.
Plus, my projector is 120". Perfect 3D. Yeah the color and resolution isnt there yet, but when a fullHD 120hz PJ that supports Nvidia (or other way around) Ill be all over it like a ghosted image on a plasma.

I still want a ghost free 3DTV for daytime gaming though, cant deny that. And when they are ghost free, I will buy.
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

http://mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... CF4063.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My head is now spinning. This pic shows no ghosting. this is promising indeed. But Ill wait for MTBS3Ds comprehensive review.

Hopefully its good news.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Now I'm confused a few posts up. You stated you took a Sammy and a Panny home. Didn't care for the ghosting and returned them. Now your waiting for a MTBS3D review? That picture posted is what I'm experiencing. No need for a review if you truly had these sets at your place.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Yeah...your right, I pretended I had the sets just to impress everybody.

Give me a break. I dont have time to sit and test every possible configuration, although I went through most menus settings to minimize the ghosting to no avail. that was on both sets. Trust me I wanted to justify keeping either TV but ghosting at any level is a deal breaker. What you hear from me is my initial experience with both sets. That experience was enough for me to return both TVs. I could care less about 3D bluray, or 3D TV content, that stuff is just a bonus, I just want a picture perfect 3D gaming experience.

Check my blog, Ive got pics of both TVs set up on my desk (mindblowing3D.com) My experience was ghosting - better in some content than others but it was still present. I'm waiting for more comprehensive review that uses more content, as I was limited in what i could use on the sets, so I can get to the bottom of why its happening, and if it can be solved via 3DTV play, DDD, Tridef, different PS3 content, Bluray. Unfortunately I didnt have the means nor the time to do extensive testing but MTBS3D does.

Sorry but am I alone in this ghosting experience? I think not. Check the net and you will see a lot of people returned them based on this. Im sure you even have ghosting but maybe your ok with the level of ghosting present. I dont know.

That screen shot is good, there is no denying that. But its only ONE screenshot. Put up this test and tell me if ghosting is present

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... 0x1050.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont want any ghosting period. If it can be proven that this set is as GHOST FREE as DLP then Ill purchase that model of TV. Even CNET said it suffers from some crosstalk. In fact most all reviews say it does.

Most people say there is ghosting, and that is not acceptable for me. Maybe for you.

the jist Im getting is that people are just accepting that the level of ghosting they see, be it minimal or not. If thats good for you knock yourself out. The screenshot is promising, and maybe its content thats driving ghosting, but again, I doubt it.

Neil, please prove me wrong! PLEASE! I would LOVE to have a 3DTV (especially since my wife said it was ok for me to buy one)

Chiefwinston, answer this question, do you see any ghosting at all on your panasonic? If you say yes, well I guess my point is proven.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Damo3D,

You are going to go absolutely insane if you hunt for the perfect ghost-free experience. INSANE, I tell you! There will be times when there isn't ghosting, and POOF! Your brain will find it! MUAHAHAHAH! :D

When things quiet down over here, I'll get a games pack downloaded and put some screenshots together. I can't do a formal review of the television because I think that would put me in a conflict of interest. HOWEVER, the screenshots should give you an idea of what to expect.

Regards,
Neil
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Hey Neil

Too bad you can't do a formal review (maybe Bloody over at 3D vision blog will) but perhaps the screenshots will tell the story better.

Using my DLP I get no noticeable ghosting though. Seems all the kinks were worked out and my projector and nvidia setup really looks amazing.

I suppose I'm asking a lot at the moment with plasma, for a typical user I think they will be very impressed and your avatar screenshot did look very good indeed. Time will tell I suppose. I think I'll wait for samsung to sort out the issues as I preferred that tv all round.

By the way, how the heck do you take those screenshots?!

Oh, one more thing. After years and years of playing around with 3d, I'm quite insane indeed!!! Buahahahaha!!!!
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Damo3D, my local movie theater runs Christie DLP projectors for our local 3D movies- mostly the RealD polerized 3D. I've seen faint crosstalk in all the movies I've seen- Avatar, Toystory 3, Dispicable Me.ect... This from well over $100,000 profesional DLP projectors. After Playing with the Panasonic VT25 for a while now and going back last night and gaming nonstop for way too late. I will tell you that there is no more crosstalk than the professional DLP projectors at the local theaters. I believe this home 3D solution will in fact be the new defacto standard. The 3D from this set will become the reference standard by which all others will be compared too. This set is not in the catagory of my old Revalater CRT set-up. Like I said. I have played with it for a while now. Straight out of the box the 3D bothered my eye's. With a few minor menu tweeks the 3D is the best I have ever seen. I'll post my settings in another thread some time before this weekend. I'm sorry you weren't sucssesful in finding ghost free High Definition 3D gaming like me.
Panasonic VT25 the new Reference Standard for home 3D. I have no doubts
about that.

Cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Dude , RealD theater is not SHUTTERGLASSES 3d , but non -depolarizing screen(!!!) plus cheap glasses. Its a HYBRID. Plus , xenon lamps and bad contrast ratio.

-Im unable to read this thread anymore , had enough trouble reading it until now, now you killed it for me entirely.

I tend to think theres a "fine" border between a thematic debate, and childish stuff like:
Panasonic VT25 the new Reference Standard for home 3D. I have no doubts
about that.
:|

THX guys also think they know whats the reference standard for home 3d (...fer sure!! At least they know who pays well for the stamp), maybe you should look around for such THX 3d if you are in the biz for stamps like that. BTW its an open secret in audio circles how much a THX stamp worths. :oops: How much your stamp worths? 2c ?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hey Neil

Too bad you can't do a formal review (maybe Bloody over at 3D vision blog will) but perhaps the screenshots will tell the story better.

Using my DLP I get no noticeable ghosting though. Seems all the kinks were worked out and my projector and nvidia setup really looks amazing.

I suppose I'm asking a lot at the moment with plasma, for a typical user I think they will be very impressed and your avatar screenshot did look very good indeed. Time will tell I suppose. I think I'll wait for samsung to sort out the issues as I preferred that tv all round.

By the way, how the heck do you take those screenshots?!

Oh, one more thing. After years and years of playing around with 3d, I'm quite insane indeed!!! Buahahahaha!!!!

Let me see what I can come up with that will be helpful for you. How did I do the screenshots? Ancient Schneider secret! :D

Regards,
Neil
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Yeah, Im done on this thread too.

DLP is king, nuff said. Enjoy your Caspersonic.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I shot 2 videos through the glasses (Panasonic P50VT20) in the store:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJG6pMDg30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IeUmm4f2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does ghost a little but the demo video has little separation to hide it and the contrast ratio is not max so You will not notice it in the store. So it can be tricky evaluating these displays unless You do a ghosttest.
Great thread.
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Well I was done with this thread, but wanted to thank you for trying to demonstrate with the videos, but there is way too much reflection happening through the glasses I cant really tell at all. Thinking there will alway be some ghosting with these plasma panels, some content showing more and some less. Im putting my money towards a new gaming PC (2 SLI 480's), and Ill keep gaming on my 120" projector. It was practically like VR last night playing Mafia II with the depth hack (I sit 4 feet from the wall - LOL). Just want to be able to crank the AA since my projector is only XGA (one of the downsides), but this will be a good PC setup for down the line when I can get a 1080p DLP...if they ever make one..
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah I replayed that demo disc last night. Make sure the set is in VIVID mode for that disc. The options are VIVID, CUSTOM, STANDARD, THX, and GAME. For me THX yields the least pleasing 3D image. Take the controller and press Menu. It'll take you to these options. Give it a try. My Caspersonic likes this setting.
Damo3d, I hope you don't mind- but I'm naming my TV the Caspersonic. That my friend is funny. I almost wee'd myself I was laughing so hard.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hey Damo3D,

I hope I didn't put you off with my "ancient Schneider secret" tease. The pictures were taken with my Fuji 3D camera through the glasses of the Panasonic 3D HDTV. I wouldn't call it Caspersonic! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Neil
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Hey Neil

Any screenshots coming? I bought a Fuji W3!! I love it!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm flying home today from the 3D Entertainment Summit...I hope! :lol:

Regards,
Neil
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

I'm very happy watching 3D on my Infocus X1. It cost hardly anything second hand and the 3D looks superb....absolutely no ghosting. I can live without 1080 3D for now, especially while problems are being ironed out and pricing remains sky high.

Now just to work out how to get these Bluray 3D discs working on my PC...even if it is at 1024 x 768 res only. Any ideas? Will PowerDVD output Bluray 3D discs to my X1 over VGA and with shutters or am I stuck with having to wait for a 3D TV with a HDMI 1.4 connection?

Gae43

Return to “3D HDTVs”