REAL or FAKE 3D???

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

REAL or FAKE 3D???

Post by yuriythebest »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaUm4lguro[/youtube-hd]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaUm4lguro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: REAL or FAKE 3D???

Post by cybereality »

Down with fake 3d.
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

I hate the hugely negative connotation that comes with the term "fake 3d." Cyber, you've said yourself that g-force was a well-done conversion! Don't you expect rapid gains in quality and efficiency as studios and artists learn the ins and outs of the conversion process? Just look at Journey to the Center of the Earth from two years ago and compare it to trailers we've seen for upcoming live-action and cartoon 3d movies. Like Hollywood has quickly learned to shoot better 3d, it may also learn to convert 2d to 3d quickly as well.

When I started using photoshop or fruity loops, my first few efforts were tolerable but very mediocre. Then suddenly my third or fourth project attempts turned out very nicely. By the time you finish even the first project you've learned so much you want to redo it from the start. I hope this is how the conversion houses felt after doing their work on moves like Clash and Airbender, but simply were not given the time to go back and fix up their work. I think that the next few films each of those teams works on will have far better results than we're seeing now.

Of course I'm no industry insider, but I think it's just as unfair to rush to the conclusion that all conversions are "fake" 3d. If the z-plane is present, whether or not it's well-done, it's not "fake." The negative connotations assumed for all future films with that label may end up someday hurting a quality 3d feature. Let's wait until James Cameron puts out the Titanic 3D conversion, that should set the benchmark going into the future. I trust that he will not allow the conversion to be released unless it's of the highest quality, and I also doubt he would speak so openly about it without being confident that he will be releasing it.

Really, all any of us want is quality 3D, and I am still holding hope that it can come from conversions on top of native format.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm concerned about those who visits the cinemas for the first time and faces a bad conversion. :( Still in my opinion most conversions shouldn't have left the studios. I highly agree that the developement on the other hand needs to continue. It would be great being able to watch older classics in decent 3d. I have no demands yet for a perfect experience with a conversion (we all mostly accepts a few anomalies in games) but some conversions are ridiculously bad. Keep those out of the cinemas!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

Harry Potter 3D should be a good conversion it was announced in January that they would do it and it comes out in November for part 1 and July 2011 for part 2 so they have more than a year to convert at least part 2
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It's not a question of time, it's a question of technique IMO.

And the technique that has been used in 3D conversion till now - namely manually modeling each scene of an entire movie - has never shown any potential for good results.

Until they find a new way to recreate 3D from 2D, which several research papers have shown is somewhat already possible in a limited manner, the results won't be good.

They'd better keep this conversion process for older movies and use real 3D cameras for newer ones, or they are going to alienate a large part of their public rapidly.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Fredz wrote:It's not a question of time, it's a question of technique IMO.

And the technique that has been used in 3D conversion till now - namely manually modeling each scene of an entire movie - has never shown any potential for good results.

Until they find a new way to recreate 3D from 2D, which several research papers have shown is somewhat already possible in a limited manner, the results won't be good.

They'd better keep this conversion process for older movies and use real 3D cameras for newer ones, or they are going to alienate a large part of their public rapidly.

2D movie -> MAGIC = excellent 3d!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”