Using Zalman type monitors vertically

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
mediavr
Two Eyed Hopeful

Using Zalman type monitors vertically

Post by mediavr »

I was thinking about how to make look better some of my Loreo Lens in a Cap images on my 24" Zalman monitor -- the Loreo images are side by side vertical format images. So I tried using the nvidia control panel to rotate the desktop 90 degrees and then images looked good full screen but of course now the interlacing was the wrong way round. So I chose vertical interlacing in Stereophoto Maker's viewing modes and it looked great in 3d -- when I had turned the monitor physically so it was vertical. So this is a good way of showing vertical format stereo images and videos in an exhibition I think. Zalman (Xpol) type monitors have a very narrow viewing zone vertically when used normally which makes them unsuitable for hanging on a wall as the viewers if they are too tall or small will not see stereo. But when rotated 90 degrees you now have a very narrow horizontal zone of correct viewing -- so now it is for one person only, but that person can be any height. You can put a mark on the floor to show people the right spot.

It is also a way of using Zalman monitors with OpenGl quad buffer stereo with Quadro cards with Quadro nvidia drivers as most Quadro drivers support vertical interlacing (but not horizontal interlacing) for quad buffered stereo.

Peter M
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Using Zalman type monitors vertically

Post by cybereality »

The Zalman monitors only barely work in the portrait orientation. I have tried it and its not very good. The issue is the viewing angle. In regular landscape orientation you have a decent horizontal viewing angle and a small vertical viewing angle. This switches when you rotate the monitor 90 degrees. This would be fine except the horizontal viewing angle now becomes so small that it doesn't even cover both eyes completely. So you get more ghosting. If you stay in the exact perfect spot, the image does look 3D but not without additional ghosting. All in all, not very good. Sorry.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”