2 microvision pico p projectors for a passive setup?????????

smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

2 microvision pico p projectors for a passive setup?????????

Post by smoothy »

Hey Guys,

Now that the microvision picop projectors are on the market, I was wondering if you can take 2 of them and make a passive setup. What I like about these laser projectors are the fact that they always stay in focus even on curved surfaces. So I would really like to beam 2 of them onto a big curved screen that covers my peripheral vision and then use polarized glasses for the ultimate stereoscopic 3d display. Is it possible? I know their resolution is 848 x 480p but still that would be pretty amazing. They have announced a 1280 x 720p picop imagine 2 of those for the ultimate passive setup as well.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: 2 microvision pico p projectors for a passive setup?????

Post by tritosine5G »

With high gain torus screen it should work, tho I'd stay 720p / wvga . Polarisation preserving property of the screen is another thing that counts.

Overall I think shutter DLP is still better bang for the buck if theres 1-2 viewer in mind.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

thanks for the reply

When do you think we will see standard home cinema projectors being capable of projecting onto any surface like a curved screen while at the same time always staying in focus? This is what the microvision picop can do
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah I have been thinking about this myself. Not sure if it would work though (are lasers polarized?).
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Usually a laser light source is highly polarized unless some element in the design of the laser or the projector were to randomize the polarisation. It is difficult to predict what kind of polarisation you'll end up with. Traditional polarisers may not work, you'll have to do some tests before being able to tell for sure.

An other problem is that since a non depolarizing screen has a high gain, the amount of reflected light is highly directional, you you will have to calculate the curvature of the screen and the placement of the projectors precisely to the position of the viewer, otherwise the picture will hotspot severely and the seams between the pictures will be visible.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”