Gametrailers on 3D with Alex ,Shane & Tom -Interesting clip.

Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Gametrailers on 3D with Alex ,Shane & Tom -Interesting clip.

Post by Recostar »

During the second episode of GameTrailers :The Bonus Round , there was a lot of talk about 3D gaming, Especially about the 3DS and its impact on the market of 3D gaming and TV's. It's great to finally see how far 3D has come and watching how it penetrates its way into the interviews/Conversations of some of my favorite shows. I enjoyed there discussion and thought some of there points were really interesting. I wanted to point a few things out that I hadn't thought of before that caught my attention.

Shane Satterfield said :

" They completely jumped over everyone (referring to Nintendo) with the 3DS, everyone keeps showing 3D video games were you have to put on glasses and Nintendos like S%$W That, you don't need glasses for our machine, so now I'm at a point were I'm thinking well should I finally upgrade and get a 3D TV ? Now I see that screen technology (referring to 3DS) and I'm like, well how long is it going to be until I can buy a TV that does that so I don't have to ware glasses while I watch TV"

Very interesting point he makes and I thought it deserved some attention. My understanding is theres a few Manufacturing companies right now working diligently on trying to bring out Glasses free 3D TV's. so my question to you is :

Do you think that even though Nintendo is going to help to spread the word of 3D with its 3DS will it also help put an end to 3D Glasses? and is that a good thing?

I really enjoyed there discussion and i found it very informative from a marketing view point.

Here is the link to the Interview . http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bon ... ?ch=2&sd=1
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Gametrailers on 3D with Alex ,Shane & Tom -Interesting c

Post by tritosine5G »

I bet they just ignore projectors as it is so im not interested.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

tritosine wrote:I bet they just ignore projectors as it is so im not interested.
This also brings up another point, If Nintendo keeps on shouting " Hey, look at me I'm Glasses free" And the industry pushes towards that (which i believe they will,eventually) how will this effect the sales of 3D projectors for gaming in 3D. Its great to see that nothing is really standardized at this point for what the primary 3D solution should be but i can start to see the very beginning of a path that might lead us to a 3D glasses free world.

Remember Back to the future 2 , What do you think of when you see these pictures?

I guess we are starting to see the first true signs of the Future !!! :lol: :lol: , well according to what Robert Zemeckis thinks anyways . He directed and helped write the script for the movie .
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-as far as I remembered the graphics were way better :lol:

But... 3d is sorta like the fireworks, it only looks good in darkness.

With sunlight, forget about it (fireworks).

These people really think they goin to play 3d with strong ambient light around?

100:1 contrast and stuff?

:sick smiley:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Sorry to say it but I predict that it will be a very long time before you see a glasses free product outside single user devices or ones where you are constrained to certain locations. The processing or storage requirements for more then two views aren't really doable right now and won't for many years.
You think that spending $300-400 extra to have 3d is bad, people won't be spending 10 times as much any time soon.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Bandwidth isn't really the biggest issue here. You can circumvent that with some clever image processing that takes one left eye view and one right eye view and interpolates all the inbetweens, they already do it for these outrageous 120Hz/200Hz/240Hz/300Hz/600Hz motion interpolation TVs so why not for calculating stereo intermediates.

No I think the biggest issue is the display itself and getting 1080p all the time in each eye while still maintaining a significant number of points of view.
Having to use 4K displays to barely make 720p is quite frightening. What will be required for 1080p and how much will that cost ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

BlackShark wrote:Bandwidth isn't really the biggest issue here. You can circumvent that with some clever image processing that takes one left eye view and one right eye view and interpolates all the inbetweens, they already do it for these outrageous 120Hz/200Hz/240Hz/300Hz/600Hz motion interpolation TVs so why not for calculating stereo intermediates.
Have you tried this on any TVs? It just has the effect for me of making me feel ill, even more so then plain anaglyph 3D. I don't think that's the solution.
I do agree that the main problem is the hardware that would be required for the actual display of the images. The cost of this (if not compromising on the resolution or image quality) would be far too high for now.
Wait 'till 2015 McFly.
Personally, I think it'll be more like 2025 but who knows.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think the Nintendo 3DS and its eminent success is a double-edged sword. On one hand its bringing 3D to the masses in an affordable, easy to use mass-market product. On the other hand it is telling people that 3d glasses are last generation and re-enforcing the idea that glasses are dorky. And I think we are a good 10 years away from having commercially viable living room TVs (for multiple viewers) without glasses. However that is not to say we won't see inroads in the PC monitor market with is almost always single-user. And who is to say there won't be a big breakthough in holographic projection in the near future? Anything is possible. But current auto-stereo solutions just don't cut it in the mass-market HDTV segment.
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

cybereality wrote:I think the Nintendo 3DS and its eminent success is a double-edged sword. On one hand its bringing 3D to the masses in an affordable, easy to use mass-market product. On the other hand it is telling people that 3d glasses are last generation and re-enforcing the idea that glasses are dorky. And I think we are a good 10 years away from having commercially viable living room TVs (for multiple viewers) without glasses. However that is not to say we won't see inroads in the PC monitor market with is almost always single-user. And who is to say there won't be a big breakthough in holographic projection in the near future? Anything is possible. But current auto-stereo solutions just don't cut it in the mass-market HDTV segment.
I can see it now, Nintendos new slogan " Don't be like the masses and throw away those dorky glasses.......and go buy a WII or face imminent death :evil: :evil: !! "
Ok, so maybe not the second part ,but seriously there going to Milk this glasses free tech Dry right to the very last drop.

New Nintendo add

EVIL Looks like this --------->> :shutter " run children !! RUN .."

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”