Budget projector

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Voidling
One Eyed Hopeful

Budget projector

Post by Voidling »

I'm sure there has been alot of forms closely related to this one so please bare with me as I bring you one more.

I'm a college student trying to setup a 3D projection system (eventually). I have been trying to figure out which projector to get and right now I'm checking out Acer H5360 it seems to be a great projector for the price ($600 at newegg). My question to you is is there any better projector that works with 3D that might be better and/or cheaper. $600 is the upper bound on my wallet and like I said I am a student so however I can save money I will.

A few things I am looking for:
>My new apartment will have a 130" wall that I will be projecting onto. I have no need to anything over that.
>I would like to have 720p (1080p would b nice but 2 expensive)
>and as always brighter the lumes the better 2000 would probably b the lowest I would like since I plan on using this projector during the day and night.

Thanks in advance,
-Danny
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Budget projector

Post by tritosine5G »

true specs of H5360:
2d non eco 60hz :

2600 contrast (best setting), 2100 lumen

eco mode: 1400 lumen

3d / 120hz mode:

1050 contrast, 750 lumen ( multiply the 750 with the 15-18% transmittance of glasses, and brightness drop of the bulb at around 800 hours)

So, you'd better forget about matte white screen , in favor of a more reflective : ))))

No 3d projectors are better than this currently , because in 3d mode theres no more 60hz brilliantcolor™ colorboost technique, hence contrast drop, also the white segment of the colorwheel is unused, hence brightness drop.

Its a shocking experience to see all this happening once you switch to 3d, ( especially after playing thru mass effect 2 @ 60hz ) , but you can get used to it. Its still better than TN LCD monitors. Should read this: http://www.practical-home-theater-guide ... ratio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-also see my comments here,this is the best I can think of : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=10724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Voidling
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Voidling »

Thanks for the reply the fact that 3D projectors don't get much better then that after you stated all the problems with it kinda deters me from projectors. Lucky though I wont be using it for 3D just yet so I can deal with the cons of it. Maybe by the time I save up money to do 3D I can just do a passive system. Anyways enough rambling, I did some more research on projectors from the nVidia list of comparable projectors and found a few more that were cheaper how do they compare to the Acer H5360 and each other? Would switching to one of these cheaper models cause a dramatic loss in quality?

ViewSonic PJD6221
ViewSonic PJD6211
Acer X1261

I'm not sure which projectors are compatible with 3D and which aren't. I have read that some say 3D ready but don't actually work, so I just went off the nVidia website for compatible projectors.

-Danny
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Voidling wrote:Thanks for the reply the fact that 3D projectors don't get much better then that after you stated all the problems with it kinda deters me from projectors. Lucky though I wont be using it for 3D just yet so I can deal with the cons of it. Maybe by the time I save up money to do 3D I can just do a passive system. Anyways enough rambling, I did some more research on projectors from the nVidia list of comparable projectors and found a few more that were cheaper how do they compare to the Acer H5360 and each other? Would switching to one of these cheaper models cause a dramatic loss in quality?

ViewSonic PJD6221
ViewSonic PJD6211
Acer X1261

I'm not sure which projectors are compatible with 3D and which aren't. I have read that some say 3D ready but don't actually work, so I just went off the nVidia website for compatible projectors.

-Danny
IDK how these compare besides the obvious stuff. Blacks in 3d could be better.

Let me rephrase: its not a dramatic drop, but quite noticable. Ive yet to see how the 10x gain screen looks (that goin to end up 5x gain cause I'll trade the rest for better blacks). Please read the contrast article too ;) .

One thing is for sure , with a low luma source like dlp+glasses , your eyes have hard time extracting the color information. Screen gain is necessary. I meant to deter you from matte white's.
http://translate.google.hu/translate?js ... =en&swap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heres test of h5360 in my native lang, if you dont understand something let me know.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Voidling
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Voidling »

Thanks for the website it really helped. I'm not to worried about the reflective screen just yet. I probably wont be able to afford 3D for another year or so. Now its time to go search for a good deal on the Acer H5360!

Thanks for your help!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

From what I understand the Acer H5360 is the best HD-quality 3D projector you can buy right now (on the consumer market). Those other 3D Vision ready projectors are low-resolution and some of them of questionable quality. I have heard nothing but complaints and compatibility issues from owners of the Viewsonic line. If you can get the H5360 for $600 then that is the best deal you are going to get. Probably not worth cheaping out on something like this.
Voidling
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Voidling »

Thanks for all the help I went with Acer H5360 it was $587 if anyone else is interested I used bing cash-back to get 12.80 off my order and newegg has a promo going for $40 off promo code ACERPRJPROMO ends 7/9. Through bing cash-back they have at tigerdirect that same projector for 580 but I have never used bing cash-back and didn't want to risk having to pay full price to save a few bux
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

Sorry to induce a bit of buyers remorse, but Newegg has dropped the price by another $30. Now it's $570, or $560 with BCB. I dunno if I can hold out on this one..

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”