Saving for a 3d TV

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
tornadog
One Eyed Hopeful

Saving for a 3d TV

Post by tornadog »

ok, so my better half has finally given in to my demands for a 3dtv in 2011. My question is which technologies should I be looking at and what budget must I plan for. Since theres plenty of time, we are buying it around thanksgiving of 2011, most likely the prices would be down or the technologies would have matured more. Either way, if the experts can give me a ballpark figure, we could plan on how much we need to start setting aside to make the purchase.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Saving for a 3d TV

Post by tritosine5G »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9kHiJ2kvDQ[/youtube]

basically the guy says the LCD is still bad . It boils down to: bigger mitsubishi DLP for cheap, or smaller panasonic plasma for expensive?

Mitsubishi wont publish contrast spec. Maybe its slightly worse than the glasses themselves, but I dont think its that bad, because DLP projectors are surely one of the best 3d displays right now. I own a H5360 and pop out is killer on a 100" screen with zero artifacts.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Thanksgiving 2011 is a LONG time away. The truth of the matter, is that mainstream 3D might have crashed and burned by then. If that's the case, then you should be able to get a 3D TV for dirt cheap, as nobody will really care about it anymore. Same thing with the glasses and 3D Blu Ray players. Also, if mainstream 3D doesn't crash and burn, you'll still be able to benefit from the natural cost reductions that will occur in that time frame. As for how much you'll need to save up for, you need to provide more information. How large is the room that the TV is going into? Do you prefer LCD or Plasma? What about a 3D projector instead of a flat panel? How far back will you be sitting from the TV?

The question of how far away you'll be sitting from the TV is a very key question, because that should help you determine the screen size, and when you know the screen size, then you'll have a much better idea of the price points that you'll need to consider. Right now, plasmas seem to be the better 3D displays, but the really big plasmas cost a TON of money. Heck, even the small ones are expensive (at least right now they are).

You might want to even consider a used 3D display. I have a feeling that there are going to be quite a few Joe Sixpacks that are going to get a 3D TV in the near-future, and then they are going to realize that not everything is in 3D, and only native 3D stuff really looks any good, and they will have some buyers remorse, and they might decide to sell their 3D TV. You might be able to get one for a pretty cheap price this way.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You will probably have to save around $1500-2000. I can't recommend anything because the landscape could change quite a bit in a year and a half.
alairauston
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alairauston »

I just visited Best Buy for a look at 3D TV's. I was somewhat impressed and will start saving money right away in order to purchase a Samsung 3D TV. Then, I realised that I can't watch 3D if there are no 3D channels on UVerse. Does anyone know AT&T's plans for adding 3D channels?Please give advance help.

Return to “3D HDTVs”