short term and long term goals

stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

short term and long term goals

Post by stee1hed »

There has been some positive talk on the things you are working on in order to improve the stereo image of the iZ3D Monitor. I recently just purchased one of these and have had issues with some of the games I basically bought the monitor for, Flight Simulator 2004 and X. (you can read about it here http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1046)

Can you please expound on what iZ3D has planned in the short term for the monitor.

What technical challenges does iZ3D face with getting different titles to work?

Why do some games seem to give better 3D results than others?

I believe this monitor is a great step forward to bring 3D more mainstream. To keep the price where it's at the results need to be improved. Less (no) ghosting, a less restrictive viewing angle to achieve minimal ghosting (the monitor currently works best when tilted all the way up, depending of course on the persons point of view).

I love the size and the fact that I can use my ATI card with it. I love that I didn't need to buy any cables no matter what configuration I was using. The 2d view is very good.

The fact that one can find reviews on the monitor on several different main stream sites is great exposure. So what is stopping it from exploding? Industry support?

'Medium term' I can see the technology in this monitor being used in large size lcd tvs.

'Long term' I believe projectors capable of 3D will be the standard basically because of size. LCDs will be replaced with other thin film technology.

I believe your product is more desirable than HMDs because multiple can view and cost. TDVision has a high resolution HMD coming out soon (hopefully) that I have been investigating for a couple hundred more than your monitor. Does iZ3D plan on pursuing other types of 3D medium than what they currently have on the market?

What is your view on industry support for 3D? I believe this is the biggest inhibitor to 3D really taking off. It's basically a pain to get it the way you want it. Some sort of standard that game/video creators could follow is very important in my opinion. Does iZ3D plan on being involved with anything like this? Either driving it or participating in some sort of consortium?

iZ3D has been mainly focussed on gaming. What are your thoughts on support for movies? Many big name film makers have stated this as a part of their future. James Cameron and George Lucus come to mind.

Thank you!
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, stee1hed!

First of all thank you for your response and sorry for issue with FlightSim.

It is important to mention that 3D geometry in theory and 3D rendering and post processing are absolutely different things. With 3D geometry I can project everything to left and right direction, calculate everything and 3d will be fine. But for real game rendering is made for 2d originally and a lot of information is hidden or mixed. For example, it is really hard to find where is camera place for some game, because camera matrix is mixed with projection matrix and added to some shadow matrix.

Another issue is no standards how to make some game elements. Best example is shadows: we know about 15 different way to make shadow, but every new title can bring some surprise - last one we had from Crysis. Add lights, water, reflectio and many other things and you'll see the reason why titles are so different in term of 3D.

Good thing is that number of game engines are limited and less and less surprises with have, but still need some work to eliminate artifacts in the games. And of course, performance is very important issue - we all know that 3D rendering is harder than 2D rendering - but who cares :-) - no one like to have big drop in frame rate :-)

Thank you for good words about our reviews, but it is still a small exposure about 3D. Marketing and information is the biggest issue - how to inform gamers about new cool device and generate their initiative to join "3D gamers" club. We are very appreciated MTBS for the great job they are doing for all 3D community. But I think may be 3D community need to make some steps as well trying to bring their friends into new beautiful world of 3D. And we'll be happy to help by our product and our promotion. As soon as we'll see what 2d gamers need to join us or if you'll help us to understand this we can update our activity to satisfy more people in 3d.

We are sure that 3D will come to bigger size LCD as well, but content is an issue for TV size - we need more movies and TV shows and may be consoles in 3D to go for next level here. We are ready to support this move and we are ready to support other formats like HMD and projector (I hope it will come really soon in our driver).

Yes, we are very active in cooperation and industry activity, but we are careful about standards - It is important for us to give users freedom to make their choice first. Technically we are constantly talking with game developers about better 3D support in their games. It is a bit more complicated in movies - but with guys like Cameron and Lukas involved I'm sure new 3D movies will give us amazing 3d experience. And finally of course, it is again, question of volume - standards will come after volume and for monitor industry it is about 250,000 - 500,000 unit minimum

Movies separately is very important part of our plans - we like to have them more and more. We are not clear yet about DVD policy for new movies like Beowulf, but we hope they all will be compatible with iZ3D. Personally I think movie is important bridge from desktop monitor to TV size which as we think will come in 2009 or earlier.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”