Are 3d films hype and a good marketing ploy for tv makers

smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Are 3d films hype and a good marketing ploy for tv makers

Post by smoothy »

I couldn't finish the title

Are 3d films just hype and a good marketing gimmick to sell more 3D TV's?

Firstly, I would like to address this. Some people think that mtbs3d have very biased views towards 3D and just because if they say on here 3d is good you shouldn't believe it and better to base your judgment on an independent review site. I don't believe this, I like to think you guys on here don't view the stereoscopic industry like that. Sometimes I find your views seem to be better that what I find on internet articles.

Anyway people seem to think that right now 3d movies in the cinema are only marginally better and sometimes even not better than their 2D counterpart. They also believe that right now the technology isn't there for the home and it's also too expensive to be enjoyed on a big screen TV. Big as in home cinema size. They say that's the only way you will get immersed. They also say that 3d movies right now is just hype and that it's excellent for TV manufacturers to make even more money but when the tech shows really big signs of improvement later on in the field then that's when 3d in the home will really take off. But they also say that 3d gaming is here and is much better suited for immersion than 3d movies and are better suited for the purchasing of a 3d TV.

What do you think of that?

I thought Avatar in 3D was mind blowing and I have seen some imax 3d films and their amazing as well. I think with 3d projectors on the horizon you can get a similar experience to the cinema in your home and it will certainly be better than a 3D TV and will be suited for 3D movies and games.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Are 3d films hype and a good marketing ploy for tv maker

Post by Neil »

Who says such things?

If anything, we are the most independent website around. If you read our editorial and our forums, we suck up to nobody. Not Sony, not James Cameron, not Nvidia, not iZ3D - nobody. MTBS leaves no stone unturned as far as anomalies and challenges that need to be overcome because we treat this as a responsibility. What would give people the idea that MTBS isn't an "independent" site?!? Who do you think pays for this place?

Do "some people" think that these sites are independent: http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be helpful to point these people out and where this is coming from. You won't find any blindly following 3D suck-ups here.

I would add that what makes mtbs3D.com tick is that we have a lot of members who volunteer their time to do web work, graphics design, programming, advocacy, and more. People wouldn't do that unless they really liked the 3D experience and saw it as something worth fighting for. If people like the 3D, it's because they like it. Not because a certain brand will potentially be running ads on their site or could withhold media samples if a review doesn't go a certain way.

I'm sorry, but you don't get more independent than mtbs3D.com. It's actually very shameful that given all our members continue to accomplish here, we are as independent as we are. While I know you meant well, I think it would be a more fruitful exercise to remind the industry players with the deepest pockets that mtbs3D.com and its 3D gaming members would very much welcome their financial participation.

I know your post was more related to film than gaming, but the sentiments are related, I'm sure.

EDIT: 3D is an added feature which is in demand by customers and is a justified reason to buy a new HDTV and display. I responded this way because I didn't see cause to undermine mtbs3D.com as part of the question.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Are 3d films just hype and a good marketing gimmick to sell more 3D TV's?

I can also confirm from a source that the marketing behind nvidia 3d vision is a ploy to sell more nvidia 3d vision glasses :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think it is quite the opposite. The studios are using 3D primarily to bring people to the theaters. Because up until very recently you could not replicate a 3D movie theater experience at home. The studios don't want 3D at home evidenced by the lack of BluRay 3D releases. They want people to go to the theaters. Its the CEMs that are pushing hard for 3D at home, not the movie studios. They are the ones having trouble selling HDTVs and need some new features to get people to upgrade. But there are really no 3D movies available to buy at the moment. 3D HDTVs, yes. 3D BluRay players, yes. 3D BluRays, no so much. If what you said was true there would be a whole lot more 3D movies available at the moment. So no, I don't think its hype and its not a ploy (well anymore than anything else is). Its just a natural progression of technology.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

IMO I personally don't like the way home 3D is going. It could have been a better launch but meh they screwed up even after it took them a year to make a 3D blu-ray standard. Anyways I suspect movie studios won't really release much 3D content till 2012 because they do want you to keep going to the theatres instead of sitting and watching at home. Although the movie studios keep overcharging movie ticket prices to squeeze every last cent woth their medicore 2D-3D conversions and boring childrens movies. It's rediculous and must somehow they think it is okay. They are all running 3D into the ground. But a person as myself enjoys 3D but I don't know when I can fully enjoy Full HD 1080p 3D at home
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, ever since movies have been released into the home its been a double or triple money maker for the authors/studios. Once everyone goes to the film in the theatre you always have that boring night and need a movie at home to wash away a few hours. So I don't think 3D medium is much different only that the producers hardware and software teams need to make money for it and not see red ink. Everything new costs a premium and is in almost beta type development so today people are only seeing 25 percent of what stereo3d has to offer. In actual fact 3d has the ability to show holographic type images floating off the screen and a sense of a real living 3D enviroment like in reality.

When I read about people talking about how cool 3d is, most of them are teenagers that are in school and only get stuff for birthdays and christmas. This makes me think that mostly young people would like to have it for their movies and games/pc/console but they cannot afford it and might get it for a present during the year. I personally like stereo3d and have wanted it since I was a teenager like 14 or 15 yrs old. But I have to admit once you've seen it and what the studios have to offer with stereo3d it gets boring and old. Mostly it just doesn't sizzle enough popout to have the craving or addiction to go back to it. I must have adapted to stereovision for a passay attraction. Anyways I expect more than just 3d glasses to get the entertainment world by with the z-depth and want so better hardware and software made so you can actually have a real 3d virtual reality experience.

The most hype is that 3d makes the graphics better but the truth is only on low settings even with a movie stereo player. It all comes down to what the software and hardware were built to do as a limit and from what I've seen its nowhere near the maximum even in theaters. They are just missing a whole lots of enhancments because the concept is there. But honestly I would say to my family, pick between either 100 dollars to the movies for one night or we save to buy a brand new 3dtv so we will be able to stream rent or buy some 3d movies and games at home. I am sure the kids would pick the home theatre 3dtv system because they get to play with it more than just watching a 2 hour movie maybe once a month at the movie theatre. For couples and singles it may be different and may be just after that somewhere to be found virtualreality attraction.

But really 3d films may make the ultimate decision for some to go buy a 3dtv set after the movie is finished, I could certainly decide that way.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

Neil wrote:Who says such things?

If anything, we are the most independent website around. If you read our editorial and our forums, we suck up to nobody. Not Sony, not James Cameron, not Nvidia, not iZ3D - nobody. MTBS leaves no stone unturned as far as anomalies and challenges that need to be overcome because we treat this as a responsibility. What would give people the idea that MTBS isn't an "independent" site?!? Who do you think pays for this place?

Do "some people" think that these sites are independent: http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be helpful to point these people out and where this is coming from. You won't find any blindly following 3D suck-ups here.

I would add that what makes mtbs3D.com tick is that we have a lot of members who volunteer their time to do web work, graphics design, programming, advocacy, and more. People wouldn't do that unless they really liked the 3D experience and saw it as something worth fighting for. If people like the 3D, it's because they like it. Not because a certain brand will potentially be running ads on their site or could withhold media samples if a review doesn't go a certain way.

I'm sorry, but you don't get more independent than mtbs3D.com. It's actually very shameful that given all our members continue to accomplish here, we are as independent as we are. While I know you meant well, I think it would be a more fruitful exercise to remind the industry players with the deepest pockets that mtbs3D.com and its 3D gaming members would very much welcome their financial participation.

I know your post was more related to film than gaming, but the sentiments are related, I'm sure.

EDIT: 3D is an added feature which is in demand by customers and is a justified reason to buy a new HDTV and display. I responded this way because I didn't see cause to undermine mtbs3D.com as part of the question.

Regards,
Neil
ooh, I didn't mean to touch a nerve

This thread was more about a discussion I was having with some friends. Nothing to do with online sites. Well it's just that they made mention that a place like avforums is a better independent site than mtbs3d to go looking for 3d reviews. They were basically saying mtbs3d works with the manufacturer. They said many posts on avforums say that 3D right now is just a fad, and a great ploy to sell more 3d tv's but later in a few years it would be a more real technology when the tech has improved greatly. But many people on the avforums were said to be saying that right now it's better for 3d gaming than for movies, even if there was a lot of 3d movies out there. I didn't really believe what was being said. But I still just wanted to post on here to ask about such things. I really adore what your doing and everyone else to make 3d mainstream. I always like to see new technology like this being pushed to the limit and getting out there rather than sitting on the shelf. I am very thankful that their are people like you Neal and others on here who are doing their bit to really push the industry forward. Please keep up the good work!

Neal there is one thing I have been meaning to ask you as your quite high up there in the 3d industry, do you think you could push manufacturers to make an affordable head mounted display that's really high quality, like one that uses a laser that beams to curved optics that cover the full human visual field of view. You know it one of things that are most talked about on this forum and just the product us hard core gamers would love to have in our homes. I have made posts about them and others on here. Were even trying make a DIY HMD. I read so many forums posts across the net and people really want this kind of thing. I truly believe the tech is here now. You can get portable low cost mini projectors that could easily fit snug inside some HMD casing and give you an incredible immersive experience. Couldn't you create like a HMD alliance that would push manufacturers to research and prototype such immersive displays and give updates on the progressive of the tech or even just talk to manufacturers. Like the next time your talking with Samsung, couldn't you say right at the end something like 'in terms of 3d movies and future 3d tech where do you see yourself in a year or two's time' or something like that and then put something in like 'apart from 3d projectors do you see your company making new immersive displays like head mounted display.' Then drop something in their like I know a lot of people across the net that really wants one that can cover the full human visual field of view, something could maybe be designed with lasers. What do you think? You could say something like that to most of the companies you speak to. Or push for some alliance to be formed with all these companies. It's just I really want 3d gaming to go beyond projectors and TV's right into HMD's that completely immerse you. I believe it's the only way for total immersion. Can you please do something?

Thanks for reading

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”