Toms Hardware review of VR920 by Vuzix

timothyscholz
One Eyed Hopeful

Toms Hardware review of VR920 by Vuzix

Post by timothyscholz »

Hey guys,

Don't know if you've ever read the Toms Hardware website, but they had a review of the VR 920 up tonight. Heres the link:

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/12/vuzix_review/

The reviewer seemed to like it, and better yet, he seemed top give the piece of equipment a fair and unbiased review. Is this the same guy who did the "wall size 3d" piece about a year back? Maybe he might be someone to approach to review more 3d equipment to attempt to reach a more mainstream audience??

After all Toms Hardware is a pretty big site as far as tech goes...

Cheers Folks

Timbo
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Good review. Thanks for the link.
Interesting to see that he got frustrated by the head tracker performance, the same happens to me with the z800. Good head tracking is vital in a HMD.
He discovered that head tracking can't be used on FPS. It's absurd to try to aim with your head. The game needs to be designed to have independent aim and head movements controls.
He is not mentioning anything about the 3d experience on the games part. I think he did not used it while testing the games.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Yes he is the same guy who did the "wall size 3d" piece.

(Quoting from the last page:) "Where I'm Coming From: I've been a long-time aficionado of 3D stereo technology and virtual reality, and how it applies to real-world gaming. I've previously written an article about wall-sized 3D gaming for Tom's Guide, and I'm probably as close as you can get to the VR920's target audience."
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

"One final note about the VR920's stereo capabilities: there is a "stereoscopic mode" setting that can be accessed through the on-screen display. While this setting is included to adjust stereoscopic 3D input, I found that using this setting produced a pseudo-3D effect. It shouldn't do anything, but when I turned this setting on there was a notable difference in the apparent depth, even without any stereoscopic driver and on any video card. I have no idea why this produced an illusion of 3D depth, but it was nifty enough that I usually chose to play with it enabled."

This is probably the 3D effect you get with Pulfrich glasses (but for a different reason). Because one eye is being drawn before the other, when the camera moves sideways there is separation between the left and the right eye, and that separation is different depending on how far away the objects are. But the effect should invert itself 30 times a second, so I wouldn't have thought it would do much.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”