How does VRealities calculate the FOV of their HMDs?

DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

How does VRealities calculate the FOV of their HMDs?

Post by DevilMaster »

Check these pages out:
http://www.vrealities.com/virtualviewer3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vrealities.com/i-trek3dpc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both HMDs are stated to have a FOV of 35 degrees, but if we assume their equivalent "screen size at a given distance" to be correct, simple geometry shows that the FOV has been overestimated in one case, underestimated in the other.
Here are the calculations I made, showing that both cases are not even close to 35 degrees:
http://i48.tinypic.com/67ijjs.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, where the heck does "35 degrees" come from? And conversely, if 35 degrees IS the correct FOV, where do the equivalent "screen size at a given distance" numbers come from?
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Re: How does VRealities calculate the FOV of their HMDs?

Post by VRgamesterz »

Armand over there is always way off, just look at his own Vr helmet, says 35 or 42! Whats that, look at the pic, doesn't that thing in the box look like a z800 control box where he has the dolphin, didn't he take the z800 apart like everyone else has and put it in his own shell. The z800 he has says 40 degree which I can remember is correct, so where did he get it to shrink to 35 unless he is using those other crappy glasses, but them where did he get it to 42 degree using the z800.

I thought the z800 was 40 degree period.. So really, don't go by his spec's at all. Something is wrong with that guy, why in the world would you still have those crazy prices like the gun that is only a mouse gyro with 3 buttons for $589

LMFAO, thanks I needed a laugh

Ku
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would believe the FOV degrees more than anything. The "virtual screen size" has always been marketing BS.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

Large field of view optics to allow a fully immersive experience

Don't make me laugh; complete and utter BS. That statement is the complete opposite of what you actually experience.
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

I always thought VRealities was a nice site to browse but the mark up on products was too high to ever buy from them.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”