naming conventions / 3d jargon

iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

naming conventions / 3d jargon

Post by iondrive »

Hey all,

Have you come up with any new words/acronyms that you use to talk about s3d issues. Share them with the community. What words do you think need inventing/defining. Here's a good page about file-naming conventions for 3d file formats:

http://www.tridef.com/media/player/guid ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think they're good and clever. This thread could be the start of a kind of glossary of terms. Please contribute. It doesn't matter how dumb they seem. :) Examples follow:

These three are good for filenames if you have multiple formats in the same folder (file-dint.png)
Hintierlaced - horizontally interlaced
Vinterlaced - vertically interlaced
Dinterlaced - diagonally interlaced (actually I'd rather say checkerboarded or checkerboard-3d)

hic-los - high-convergence / low-separation 3d settings for using a 2d in-game crosshair in 3d by making the world pop out of the screen so the 2d crosshair is usable. Used by me in many games but I rarely use this term anymore. Now I just say "use alot of popout".

crosshair-centric - regarding 3d setting like above as in the phrase "make your settings crosshair-centric".
"thing"-centric (guy-centric, ground-, Hud-, sky-) - like above, base your settings on the thing so it's near screen-depth or, in the case of HUD, so you're comfortable using/viewing it.

squashed - vertical image compression
squeezed - horizontal image compression

LO/UR - over/under (or above/below) 3d image format with left-eye-view on top.
RO/UL - right-eye-view on top
R/L - side-by-side right-view/left-view, opposite of L/R. (ok, that's obvious)

I think that's it for now.

--- iondrive ---
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: naming conventions / 3d jargon

Post by BlackShark »

Uuuh, 3D is already complicated enough, the word interlacing can mean many different things if you use it for a 2D video, a 3D video, a 2D display, a 3D display. there is also the problem of the so many different things called "convergence". there are some times where you'd want to use acronyms to shorten your phrases, but in the non-standardized world of 3D. It is just not the case.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I have to agree that this just confuses matters. I believe the current naming works.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

I just figured people naturally come up with terms to describe things they think/talk about and I was curious to hear other people's ideas and comments. I know I can't really strictly be "the definer". I was hoping someone could give me the proper terms for the things I describe if possible. Also, if you see me use these terms, you'll know what I'm talking about. Yes, I know, most of them are obvious to you guys, but this may help others. I don't think it's too confusing. Do you know of any other web pages with a good glossary of 3d terms? Anyway, more terms:

flat-3d - used to describe a video. 3d that is not 3d. Meaning a 2d scene/video has been doubled so that the entire scene has shifted back or in front of screen depth. This is what I've seen recently with some YouTube "3d" videos. It's annoying. Does anyone have a better term for this?

dual-mono - similar to above but used to describe a kind of flaw in s3d game-rendering. Same image is shown to each eye.

cutout-3d - s3d that is the result of 2d-to-3d conversion which causes things to look like flat cut-outs at varying depths. I believe there is a niche for this kind of 3d especially in regards to flat-colored animations or "animated comic books" like some of the extras on the DVD of "I am Legend". Has anyone seen those?

time-shifted-3d - another technique for "faking" 3d from a 2d source. Each eye sees a time-delayed version of the same video. This can work well sometimes if all the scenery is static and the camera is moving sideways.

Later - something people say instead of "goodbye" :)

--- iondrive ---
Last edited by iondrive on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

flat-3d - used to describe a video. 3d that is not 3d. Meaning a 2d scene/video has been doubled so that the entire scene has shifted back or in front of screen depth. This is what I've seen recently with some YouTube "3d" videos. It's annoying. Does anyone have a better term for this?
probably badly done 2d->3d conversions, or indeed if it's just doubled (seen those too - boggles the mind) then fake 3d.
dual-mono - similar to above but used to describe a kind of flaw in s3d game-rendering. Same image is shown to each eye.
objects rendered at screen depth
cutout-3d - s3d that is the result of 2d-to-3d conversion which causes things to look like flat cut-outs at varying depths. I believe there is a niche for this kind of 3d especially in regards to flat-colored animations or "animated comic books" like some of the extras on the DVD of "I am Legend". Has anyone seen those?
yup here cutout3d sounds nice
time-shifted-3d - another technique for "faking" 3d from a 2d source. Each eye sees a time-delayed version of the same video. This can work well sometimes if all the scenery is static.
sounds good, though again as you said it's fake 3d. I've seen a number of these clips on youtube (like a forest being filmed when driving ) - the results are okay-ish but I still have a bias against such techniques.

Hintierlaced - horizontally interlaced
Vinterlaced - vertically interlaced
Dinterlaced - diagonally interlaced (actually I'd rather say checkerboarded or checkerboard-3d)
nice idea! though since it's shorthand you might as well go all the way and have Hi, Vi, etc

squashed - vertical image compression
squeezed - horizontal image compression

LO/UR - over/under (or above/below) 3d image format with left-eye-view on top.
RO/UL - right-eye-view on top
R/L - side-by-side right-view/left-view, opposite of L/R. (ok, that's obvious)
here I prefer the stereo movie maker/player conventions:

except side-by-side can be shortened to SBS
Last edited by yuriythebest on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

Hi Yuri,

I picked-up the "time-shifted" term from you from YouTube :)
I guess I should have credited you with it. Do you want me to go back and edit that post?

dual-mono - not at screen-depth. Each eye sees the same perspective view but images for each eye are shifted left or right so apparent perception is a 2d image with some depth shifted into or out of the screen.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”