3D Blu Ray via a PC requires Nvida GPU?

Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

3D Blu Ray via a PC requires Nvida GPU?

Post by Anthony1 »

According to Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blu ... 636-7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to run 3D Blu Ray on your PC , via hardware-accelerated decoding of the Blu-ray 3D MVC codec, then you're going to need one of these Nvidia GPU's:

GeForce GTX 480
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GT 340
GeForce GT 330
GeForce GT 320
GeForce GT 240

Now, obviously, this is only for hardware based 3D decoding. Software based 3D decoding will also be available, but the results could be somewhat sketchy. I'm looking to build a new PC with a S3D focus, and I definitely would want the 3D Blu Ray playback of it to work smoothly. Considering that the GT 300 series is for pre-built PC's, then it means that basically there are only 3 GPU's to choose from. Either the super expensive 480 or 470, or the woefully underpowered GT 240? What's a guy whos about to build a new PC with a S3D focus to do? I can't afford a 480 or 470, and if I get a 240 there is no way it's going to run the games I want to play in 3D or even 2D.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: 3D Blu Ray via a PC requires Nvida GPU?

Post by BlackShark »

3D BluRay support on PC is currently non-existant, all the BluRay decoding applications have been delayed.
Both ATi and Nvidia have claimed BluRay 3D hardware acceleration but there is no guarantee on the compatibility between software, hardware acceleration and the 3D display you are using until the products are officially released... especially on the Nvidia side which i guess would be very tempted to only provide 3D acceleration if you use 3D vision or if you buy 3DTV play.

So until the stuff is actually in the hands of consumers and tested, you should consider BluRay3D as non-existant.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

BlackShark wrote:3D BluRay support on PC is currently non-existant, all the BluRay decoding applications have been delayed.
Both ATi and Nvidia have claimed BluRay 3D hardware acceleration but there is no guarantee on the compatibility between software, hardware acceleration and the 3D display you are using until the products are officially released... especially on the Nvidia side which i guess would be very tempted to only provide 3D acceleration if you use 3D vision or if you buy 3DTV play.

So until the stuff is actually in the hands of consumers and tested, you should consider BluRay3D as non-existant.

Did you read the Tom's Hardware Guide article?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Did you read the power DVD 10 ultra specification that states BluRay3d is not available yet and will be added later via patch ?
Do you remember the nightmare of early GPU hardware accelerated BluRay (2D) playback ?

Until the products are available and tested, consider them non-working. It's a principle that will save you precious time and money with stereo3D.
Don't buy hoping for possible support in the future, buy for what is available now.
Passive 3D forever !
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If I were you I would pick up the GTX 470. Or maybe wait to see if the $280 GTX 465 will support 3D BluRay (almost surely). If not I would just get the best Nvidia GPU you can afford and hope software decoding is usable. If not, you could always upgrade at some point in the future.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

cybereality wrote:If I were you I would pick up the GTX 470. Or maybe wait to see if the $280 GTX 465 will support 3D BluRay (almost surely). If not I would just get the best Nvidia GPU you can afford and hope software decoding is usable. If not, you could always upgrade at some point in the future.

When does the GTX 465 come out?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Anthony1 wrote: When does the GTX 465 come out?
I've heard June 1st but knowing Nvidia it could be weeks later that the card is actually available.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

cybereality wrote:
Anthony1 wrote: When does the GTX 465 come out?
I've heard June 1st but knowing Nvidia it could be weeks later that the card is actually available.

I've heard that the first couple of reviews of the 465 have been disappointing.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Anthony1 wrote: I've heard that the first couple of reviews of the 465 have been disappointing.
Yeah, for sure its not a high end part. Its about on par with a GTX 275. I was just suggesting it as an option if you needed something cheaper than the GTX 480/470.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

cybereality wrote:
Anthony1 wrote: I've heard that the first couple of reviews of the 465 have been disappointing.
Yeah, for sure its not a high end part. Its about on par with a GTX 275. I was just suggesting it as an option if you needed something cheaper than the GTX 480/470.

What about going with something much cheaper like a 260, considering I can get a 260 for around $100, which is much cheaper than the 465 as well? I know a 260 isn't very powerful, and that at the moment it's not hardware compatible with 3D Blu Ray, but it might be many months before I can actually rent a 3D Blu Ray anyways ( I normally rent movies via Blockbuster Online or Netflix, rather than buying them). My thinking, is that eventually Nvidia will have something that is powerful, and a price that makes sense, and I'll get that, but right now they just don't have anything that really makes sense from a price to power standpoint.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well we have yet to see what it takes to decode a BluRay 3D in realtime. It may turn out the GTX 260 is enough for the job (or probably more dependent on your CPU actually). Nobody really knows yet and won't know until there are some software solutions support and actually discs to play with. Probably a better idea to get something cheap for now and upgrade if need be.
Cleeve
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cleeve »

BlackShark wrote:Did you read the power DVD 10 ultra specification that states BluRay3d is not available yet and will be added later via patch ?
Do you remember the nightmare of early GPU hardware accelerated BluRay (2D) playback ?

Until the products are available and tested, consider them non-working. It's a principle that will save you precious time and money with stereo3D.
Don't buy hoping for possible support in the future, buy for what is available now.
Read the article. I *DID* test PowerDVD 10 Ultra for the article.

It was a pre-release version, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. These products are on the verge of being released, and the review gives a darn good impression of how it all works together.

I'm not saying it's finalized and perfect, but there's some merit in testing pre-release hardware and software so close to launch. And, for the record, ATI did *not* announce that it has GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D playback. in fact, the demo they ran with PowerDVD at the start of this year was software decode only. Also, Blu-ray 3D playback will work with Nvidia cards that don't accelerate decoding like the GTX 260--essentially, it should work with any 3D Vision ready graphics card, the CPU usage does go up quite a bit though. It's all tested in the article.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Hi Cleeve, thanks for the input.

I understand you are convinced of the imminent public release of the patch that will unlock BluRay3D in PowerDVD 10, however I stand by my recommendation of considering anything that is not officially released as if it were not working.

With Stereo3D, we're used to early announcements of products that don't deliver, or that deliver late with last minute changes.

I remember the firsts announcements of Nvidia proudly demonstrating BluRay3D support with PowerDVD 10 while plugging the prototype of the upcoming Acer 24" monitor at a time when only the 22" monitors were available, Nvidia stayed purposely quiet about the compatibility of the 22" monitors, and for a good reason : nvidia quietly revealed this very week that these 22" monitors are not BluRay3D compatible (Nvidia didn't officially tell why but we know it's because these displays do not support HDCP when running at 120Hz). If i remember they updated the 3D vision hardware requirement page the very same day Tom'sHardware published the article (it's your article isn't it ?).

An other example are the 3D PS3 games from Sony (Wipeout and Gran Turismo) that were first demonstrated over 2 years ago running on interlaced dispays, which apparently won't be supported at all in the final products that will be released this summer (only hdmi1.4 TVs will be supported)

I'll stand to my recommendation of not buying anything 3D related based of promises and future improvements until all 3D displays will stick to interoperable standards (Hdmi1.4 or Display Port 3D) and I hope manufacturers like nvidia and Texas Instrument will finally stop playing solo with restrictive drivers that prevent users from using their perfectly compatible hardware.
Passive 3D forever !
Cleeve
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cleeve »

BlackShark wrote:Hi Cleeve, thanks for the input.

I understand you are convinced of the imminent public release of the patch that will unlock BluRay3D in PowerDVD 10, however I stand by my recommendation of considering anything that is not officially released as if it were not working.
Hi Blackshark,

I hear where you're coming from. In this case though, there are no competing solutions even on the horizon. The Blu-ray disc format is nailed down, there are disks and players in the wild now and there's a standard that the PC has to follow. ATI/AMD has absolutely nothing, no 3d ecosystem, no glasses solution they could even work with if they did have compatible hardware, so as much as I personally hate monopolies this is going to be an Nvidia monopoly for a while. With no full-res ATI 3D solution whatsoever, if the OP is building a system now anyway and wants Blu-ray 3D playback in the future, going for a GeForce card kind of makes sense. I don't know if sticking his head in the sand and going with a Radeon is the best bet for this situation.

If he hasn't started yet and the build is all about Blu-ray 3d, for sure, holding off is always best. Never build a computer for future use.

But what you said was to pretend Blu-ray 3D hardware didn't exist, not to hold off on the build. That's what I take a bit of issue with. Ignoring clear trends during a build isn't all that wise, either. If the OP is building his HTPC now anyway--with an eye to future Blu-ray 3D use--pretending Blu-ray 3d is not there might not be the best way to proceed. Using all the intelligence he has at his disposal is probably a better way to go.

BlackShark wrote: Stereo3D, we're used to early announcements of products that don't deliver, or that deliver late with last minute changes.
Me too, but as a reviewer I haven't yet been sent hardware that wasn't almost out the door. Besides that, it works on my own hardware--a GTX 260 and a GT 240--and my own Blu-ray drive. There's a first time for everything, but all they have to deliver are drivers and playback software at this point for an established standard. If this was pre-Blu-ray 3D standard I'd be more inclined to be more cautious than I already am--and make no mistake, I'm in no way suggesting people go out and start building Blu-ray 3D boxes just yet--but for a person in mid build who knows for sure that Blu-ray 3D is in their future, I don't think considering an Nvidia card is a bad thing to do at this stage in the game.
BlackShark wrote: I remember the firsts announcements of Nvidia proudly demonstrating BluRay3D support with PowerDVD 10 while plugging the prototype of the upcoming Acer 24" monitor at a time when only the 22" monitors were available, Nvidia stayed purposely quiet about the compatibility of the 22" monitors, and for a good reason : nvidia quietly revealed this very week that these 22" monitors are not BluRay3D compatible (Nvidia didn't officially tell why but we know it's because these displays do not support HDCP when running at 120Hz). If i remember they updated the 3D vision hardware requirement page the very same day Tom'sHardware published the article (it's your article isn't it ?).
Yeh, I mention the HDCP thing in my article--the issue isn't just at 120 Hz, it's that those monitors aren't HDCP compliant at all. There is probably a workaround with AnyDVD but it's still an added expense and a royal pain in the arse. As far as Nvidia updating the hardware requirements, that's a tiny bit my fault as I nagged them about supporting older hardware like the GTX 260 the day before the article went live, because the 260 which worked fine on my system when playing back Blu-ray 3d. :)

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”