50% of Games To Support S-3D by 2012

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

According to Ubisoft, 50% of games will be 3D compliant by 2012, and 15% to 20% of games will have stereoscopic 3D support by next year.  While these are very exciting numbers, not all game developers are equally enthusiastic.
Read full article...
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: 50% of Games To Support S-3D by 2012

Post by tritosine5G »

The games I want are s3d, and I trust nVidia, ubi stinks.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I wouldn't spit that much on Ubisoft.
Most of their recent games look gorgeous in S3D throughout all drivers : Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, not forgetting the first major broadly native 3D multi-platform game (Avatar)

The only problem is that good execs sometimes make bad decisions, and the new Ubisoft DRM scheme is probably the worst decision Ubisoft ever made.
I just wish they get back on the right track so that we can enjoy their new games again.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

nVidia has ties to russian developers, console devs wont go for s3d. Metro2033 is such a prime example. BTW ubisoft had the il-2 games but they failed something because they wont publish the sequel. Also that silent hunter series is such a heap of ridicoulus dreck.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Neil

Post by Neil »

nVidia has ties to russian developers, console devs wont go for s3d. Metro2033 is such a prime example. BTW ubisoft had the il-2 games but they failed something because they wont publish the sequel. Also that silent hunter series is such a heap of ridicoulus dreck.
I'm sorry, you aren't making any sense:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/165/165150p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silenthu ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metro2033 is an example of what, exactly?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

50% by 2012, I don't buy it. That would mean a good percentage of the games in development now would be made for 3d (since games take 2-3 years to make). I don't know about that. The only way I could see is if the Nintendo 3DS is a runaway success but, even then, 50% is a big number.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

looking only at the pc market I would have hoped for even higher numbers.
considdering that nowadays there are only around 10 Top AAA games per year 5-8 games/year in perfect S-3D isn't that much.

also I agree with BlackShark. Ubis early TombRaider was the best S-3D I played with my ELSA Revalater glasses waaays back and still to this date tons of Ubi (Price of Persia, Assasin Creed, Avatar, Tomb Raider) games work great with the Nvidia Vision Set. As far as beeing readdy for S-3D I would even go so far that Ubi comes to my mind on top of all other companies in that area.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

IMHO:
Too many oldgen games with cut expenses. Whereas nvidia is out there in the field helping developers, so we have 3d vision ready label, which is great. Ubisoft also screwed up with the developers of RTS games. They have their inhouse shilent hunter developer team which I guess is grossly underpaid and thats all. Whereas ex -USSR 1c has the most advanced flight model and developer teams can license their stuff around, for example il-2 flight code and AI goes into naval simulation. BTW they surely make an MMO for PC, DX11. Huge content therre, and nvidia helps develop for dx11. So the prevgen games willbe dx9, cheap ubisoft alike console games, whereas on the other side we get 3d ready. Ubisoft wont be at the epicenter of anything serious. They are cutting expenses where they can, whereas 1C company has russian president on visit, and goverment rubles.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Oh, and Since when Tomb Raider is an ubisoft game all it was is eidos. And that bono guy or something.

I should check that game out since Ian Livingstone wrote it who also wrote the late fighting fantasy books. :o

BTW eidos given up on eidos Hungary so no more battlestations midway on consoles. At least they got paid.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

BTW now both unreal engine and cryengine includes native s3d. It takes no millions of dollars for those who use these. And since s3d adds about 80% immersion, (on a pj at least) , why wouldn't they include unless its a console exclusive? Well if it s a mass effect with the fake cartoonic skintone and stuff then I understand. Too many console games I dont care about and I come thru ignorant I guess. But im not , look how good unreal engine looks in batman, its nearly good enough. Crytek stuff going to be interesting. Haha they too had affair with UBI...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

tritosine wrote:Haha they too had affair with UBI...
You mean farcry2? I believe UBIsoft bought the name for farcry2. The "real" Farccry2 is actually Crysis (Crytek as devs similar to farcry 1). Regardless developers both are awesome games though.

Call me a newb but what's the fuzz about nvidia vs ubi? I don't get it because ubi sells/developes games and nvidia makes computerhardwares... o.O
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

tritosine wrote:Oh, and Since when Tomb Raider is an ubisoft game all it was is eidos. And that bono guy or something.

I should check that game out since Ian Livingstone wrote it who also wrote the late fighting fantasy books. :o

BTW eidos given up on eidos Hungary so no more battlestations midway on consoles. At least they got paid.
gahh I stand corrected, my memory is crap :(

still when I think of Ubi I think of games like Assassin Creed and Price of Persia with little to no GUI witch is always a plus in my book...
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

50% games to support s3d means

50% prevgen dx9 games. nVidia / ATI is out there to help serious developers with dx11, also EPIC is upgrading their unreal engine like crazies. So that remaining 50% dx9 game either supports 3d to a degree or absolutely not because its console exclusive or something, they surely dont get money from the publisher to make it any better when it comes to 3d.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I hope more for native support of games. Not related to what the reality brings though. If 3d hits then 50% is a very realistic figure. If not then we still need to rely on stereodrivers for 3d. No doubt natively stereo-3d supported games looks far better in 3d than games ran through stereodrivers. Better performance and no visual anomalies.
Regarding Nvidia i don't trust them a penny regarding 3d. Their former history in s-3d clearly shows it. I'm pretty certain (just speculating but still very certain) that if zalman wasn't paying nvidia for stereodrivers there wouldn't be any 3d-vision today. They were "so to say" freeriding on them. However that even nvidia lately hooked up on 3d is good i think. ;)
Last edited by Likay on Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Well people wait for quadro stuff coming down the pipes. Edge blending would be cool and inevitable after all that mess with 3 monitors and they can't get it to work anyway.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

That are some optimistic numbers...

lets hope that not to much of these games are from ubisoft.

I want to buy a game, not rent it... And especially register it with my real name! Ubi DRM sucks hard.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

I believe it. Bad Company 2, Resident Evil 5 and Call of Duty MW2 were perfect s3d games with some of the best graphics yet.
All we need is for some good mmo's and space faring games to come to the party.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Well, looks like game studios in general are far more optmistic about stereo 3D support than hardware companies, and I guess this is a good thing because content comes first. Unfortunately at the current state of standardization, PC games mostly support 3D TV sets with half-res formats, not specialized computer stereo3D monitors (which cost significantly less and have the potential to last longer). Hopefully 3D display makers will soon wake up and 120 Hz displays will be featuring DisplayPort and built-in VESA sync ports, that would make life much easier...
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

In my opinion, what you lose when only one frame is presented to one eye at a time is worst than the partial lost of half resolution (like zalman, I mean).
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

What would be lost ? The same frames are presented either way.

Ubisoft making you many dx9 games,while ex -ussr comes with dx11, then maybe something 's lost there in the process, ask them :roll: .

Also 720p is the bare minimum for 3d imho. And with 2 720p pj's you can go for true native res polarizer any day.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

If there is any movement in the scene (and it's 100% probable when gaming), from frame to frame there are differences. With shutter-glasses, each eye always sees a frame that is different to the frame that sees the other. At least that's how nvidia's stereo driver has always worked. The result is a low frame rate feeling even with high frame rates.

When buying the zalman, my biggest concern was the resolution issue. But after the first test with a game, the intense smoothness feeling that I perceived opened my eyes. I was shocked because it was the first time that I was using a 3D solution where both eyes are seeing the same instant of the scene. And it makes a difference! That's what you lose with shutter-glasses.

The post was made in reference to the idea posted above that a 120Hz monitor with shutter-glasses is a complete 3d solution whereas checkerboard or zalman are only temporary solutions. Being coherent, I'd put 120Hz in the same category than half-resolution solutions and leave dual head polarized projectors as the only complete 3d solutions.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Doesn't look like there will be 3d vision sorround with 2 pj's anyway so I see no reason to stay with nV. They fail if they won't support 2 pj's... At least someone should do something with those linux drivers edge blending stuff not that hard...
Commenting on your previous experience with 3d vision, Im sure there was no amount of light comparable to what we want to do with a torus screen
Imagine how your LCD screen would look like with a 500watt lamp in front of it . :lol: And Im goin g further.
Next building around here surely going to have a wall thats a huge 3 pj torus for edge blending :mrgreen:
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Man too many console dx9 console games , with guido characters for guido gamers. Damn.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Agree about nvidia support for s-3d. I hope they carry on their race and it goes well (actually...). In a future they might support even other solutions if they earn enough. The most scary scenario would be them dropping all support for s-3d, even the 3d-vision. :(
Thanks for showing this btw!!! The torus screen got me really interested. Looking up solutions involving vacuum or pressured air and an enough strong rubbermaterial to build on. Fiberglass and polyester will do good. Let's see what happens but you got me really curious now! Still there's an issue with viewing angle but i think just curving the screen a little will do wonder and even go up in gain (3 or so) even if more people are watching. Dang it... Hands and fingers are scratching... I need room to make the thing...
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

[caption id="attachment_15745" align="alignnone" width="514"]Avatar: The Game in 3DAvatar: The Game in 3D[/caption]

According to Ubisoft, 50% of games will be 3D compliant by 2012, and 15% to 20% of games will have stereoscopic 3D support by next year.  While these are very exciting numbers, not all game developers are equally enthusiastic.

Return to “MTBS News”