Where do i get half-silvered mirrors?

Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Where do i get half-silvered mirrors?

Post by Tonpole »

I cant seem to find them on google/ebay/amazon.
Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Where do i get half-silvered mirrors?

Post by Tonpole »

bump
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Half silvered ?

Do you mean 50-50 mirror ? (50% transmission 50% reflection) for a stereo mirror rig ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tonpole »

yes, 50/50, half silvered, beamsplitter, i guess it goes by many names.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It depends on your location i guess. Have you tried googling telepromter mirrors? Be sure to get glasses ones. Usually plastic mess up polarization but i think there are exceptions though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Carandiru
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Carandiru »

It wasn't easy for me. I didn't want to spend the outrageous prices they have at teleprompter.com, but thats up to you. I settled for a one-way mirror, with more reflectance than visible light transmittance. Compensating with one monitor being brighter, high contrast has yielded acceptable results. Im quite impressed with the 3D effect for my planar 3d stereo mirror rig. I got mine @ a local glass shop, look up in your area and ask for one way mirrors, with the mirrored surface on the front side (prevents double reflection).

I paid $65 bucks or something for a 23 by 19 inch 1/4 inch thick one way mirror (real glass). I also tried mirroring film (tinting film) before this, and it messed up the polarization. You should be able to find my forum thread on here, with my experience building this thing.
Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tonpole »

Actually i dont need to preserve polarization for my purpose, does the film work well anyways?
Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tonpole »

bump
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

bumps back... o.O
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Tonpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tonpole »

bump
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

You can find the procedure online for mirror making. I have also seen some alterations to the procedure that allow for half silvering. You may want to look into "Tollin's Reagent". It's used in chemistry to test for the presence of aldehydes and when an aldehyde is present, silver will form on the inside of the glass vessel you are using. There are other ways to precipitate silver onto glass besides Tollin's Reagent but they are all very similar. Here are some links if you are interested.

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlo ... TYPEID=113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.atmpage.org/contrib/Coslo/silver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't remember where I found the page about diy half silvered mirrors but I'm pretty sure they just reduced the concentration of silver nitrate by about half or only left the silver nitrate on the glass for half the time.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”