Looking for Shutter glasses. Have 120Hz Monitor & new Radeon

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
DTH777
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for Shutter glasses. Have 120Hz Monitor & new Radeon

Post by DTH777 »

Hi,

I have an Alienware OPT-X 120Hz 3D capable screen and my graphics cards is a HD5870 Vapor-X.

I've been looking around for a pair of 3D shutter glasses for games and I've come to a lost end. iZ3D glasses only work with iZ3D screens (while they are compatible with ATi). Nvidia only support their graphics cards...

Tri-Def had shutter glasses on their website, but they seem to have removed them. I've looked into Bit Cauldron, who seem to be the only viable option for ATi users, but their glasses don't seem to be on the market yet.

Any suggestions or info on when Bit Cauldron will be releasing their glasses?

Thanks
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Looking for Shutter glasses. Have 120Hz Monitor & new Ra

Post by cybereality »

Unfortunately that monitor is only compatible with the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. Might want to trade that video card for a GTX 480 if you can.
DTH777
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DTH777 »

:shock: so the Alienware monitor will not work with any Bit Couldron/other 3D technology, only Nvidia :shutter :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Alienware set *may* work with Bit Cauldron glasses but that is yet to be seen since they are not available yet. At the moment its Nvidia only, though.
DTH777
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DTH777 »

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a release date for the Bit Couldron gear?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

According to the interviews which were given at CES back in January, the BitCauldron glasses should be available some time this summer, I haven't read any updates so far.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Is that 450 usd lcd shutter anything close to a mechanical shutter?

Im using this acer pj now with nvidia glasses, hacked the registry for wider depth, and seems to me the ghosting is just because the nvidia glasses leak in spots where big contrast differences are present.

Try this: push and hold the charge indicator button, then the flashing would stop occasionally leaving you with the full-OFF period, then you can inspect what leaks thru and where, wow , ghosting = leakage. :|

This becomes worse once you start using silverscreens ? What about 3d virtual black, best blacks plus 3.0 gain, it should ghost like hell?? Suddenly I feel the urge for polarized setup because metro2033 looks unbelievable with cranked depth.
But the nv glasses...
H5360 with 3d mode enabled is 750 lumens, glasses take half again. 1.0 gain screen. And it leaks thru. I set eco mode and it still leaks thru. Wow.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

My experience with a small sample of the Da-lite virtual black is that it ghosts a tiny bit more than a silverfabric silverscreen. You need to consider that the virtual black is a backprojection film! So you'll need quite a big room for that. However noone can get into the way of them beam. :D
I consider the screen i have being of good quality with very low ghosting (there is ghosting but there's no need for better ghostingrejection like this, there's a picture in the "Ghosting thread" for evaluation). Lately i've experiemented with silvercolor paints for the fun of it and i amazingly seem to get the same result as with my standard silverscreen! :shock: So: Since i want a bigger one i'm definitely going to make one myself. 4-5 spraycans (6-7 euros each) are needed i think.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Yeah Im going to do that too, an expensive 100" diagonal screen for polarizer , and a curved cheap screen for shutters, maybe cinemascope or even wider for edge blending. Too bad painted screen wont go near those 2.0 gain values but I would be happy with 1.8 . I found mechanical shutter drawings inside patents, doesnt seem too bulky , nor expensive. They should definately manufacture them, LCD 's apparently suck.

3d Virtual Black is the only pricey thing I would buy, its those good properties offset its bad traits (space). I'll just project thru a doorstep (minimum throw distance = 1.5x screen width). So it'll be a smaller screen what I'm using now , but closer , therefore bigger. Can't imagine anything worse thing than a hi gain silverscreen in a white/bright room.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Too high gain is not good but it seems like the gain with paint is somewhere close to the screen i have (a little lower but this will reduce the glare even if it's a tiny bit darker, have plenty of light anyway...). Have some trouble getting the coating even though. I haven't ran it with the projectors yet. (wet paint....)
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Maybe with 3d printing becoming widespread, and long defunct patents of mechanical shutters + drawings available, it wont take too long until someone fabs a mechanical shutter. I would definately buy one.

Then with 3D VB the shutter would shiiiiine.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I don't know about mechanical shutters... It should be difficult making them cheaper and better than lcd-shutters. I can imagine the noise of them, either by mechanical shuttering or a highspeed spinning wheel... :?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

http://lennylipton.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ame-to-be/

I think its better than a HMD, in a sense at least you know whats inside exactly. :D

BTW I ran another circle in metro, the start up screen desk lamp still ghosts, but inside the game difficult to find ghosting places right now . Only the colors are fed up with the glasses too.

"The field sequential system used by all DLP single projector solutions has to divert half the light to each eye. Hence the duty cycle looses 50% of the available light. Of that remaining 50% per eye maybe another 70 to 80% must be lost to the specific selection technology, be it polarization or super anaglyph. "

apparently, mechanical shutter + 3DVB must be viable.
DTH777
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DTH777 »

Sorry which month is summer in the US? I'm in New Zealand...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

From what I understand iz3D will not be supporting 120Hz monitors like your Alienware.

Oh, and summer is in a month or two.
DTH777
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DTH777 »

iZ3D might be supporting 120Hz, they're working with ATi/Bit Cauldron/DDD to support the ATi Radeon graphics cards. Their software will, but at the moment their glasses only support their monitors...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, that is what I am saying. They claim they have some obligation to not support 120Hz LCDs but they will be supporting projectors.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:they have some obligation to not support 120Hz LCDs
Huh. I was hoping iZ3D would eventually support Asus PG267H and Bit Cauldron glasses, but if they iZ3D are not going to support 120 Hz monitors, then who will be partnering with ATI/AMD and Bit Cauldron, exactly?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either. But on the iz3D forums they are asking people for their EDID for 120Hz projectors only so they will specifically not work on 120Hz monitors. Meaning its even possible the latest beta could work on 120Hz LCDs but iz3d is going out of their way to not support it. Really sad.

Maybe DDD will come to the rescue?

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”