Mass Effect 1/2/3 Remastered! Wow...

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Mass Effect 1/2/3 Remastered! Wow...

Post by DJ-RK »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:59 am I get this message with the Wip 3 version ?

MassEffect1009_085.jpg
Ahhhh. Yeah, that came from me changing some of the filenames around right before packaging the files, but one of the files still references the old filenames. Fortunately that has no impact at all on the fix and seeing that error when you load up the game is the only downside (and only a minor annoyance), however I went ahead and corrected that and uploaded WIP 3.1 with the minor revision for anyone willing to redownload it.

I'll update the link above with the newer version for anyone interested.
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Thanks DJ-RK, I'm sorry I have to bother you again, this is seen on the planet with Liara's digsite (Wip 3.1)

I think that must be the reason why the sand monster has killed me far to many times already :oops:
MassEffect1016_085.jpg
John01_11.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 am Alright, that turned out to be a bigger task than expected, but I've now got WIP #3 hot off the press already (again, thanks to Z31Turbo's help here).

Changelog:
-Complete rework of lighting regex to resolve a blurring effect being caused in ME3
-Stereoized all remaining ME2 crosshairs, and all of those that I had access to in ME3 (Pistol, Submachinegun, Rifle, Sniper, & Shotgun)
-Changed depth buffer copying as reference to be better handled in ME3 (and not cause autodepth objects to flicker in multiple places)
-Created new regex for ME2/ME3 lens flares and interaction icons, rather than manually fixing said shaders, to ensure all remaining lens flares in ME2 are fixed, and to automatically catch all in ME3
-Adjusted formula for previously fixed lens flares and interaction icons, to make them scale with convergence better
-Set up triggers for the cutscene low convergence preset on the depth of field shaders in ME2 & ME3. This is slightly different from the approach I use in ME1, and not tested as much. Please report if any convergence "jittering" ever occurs during gameplay.
-Organization and optimization pass: Cleared out a bunch of non-universal UE3/UE4 regexes that were not being utilized. Also changed the naming structure slightly of some of the files used in the fix.

So yeah, there were some pretty big sweeping changes here, which has me a little nervous, especially with how the games interact slightly differently with certain HUD shaders and textures that I rely on as triggers vary in usage slightly between games... but everything that I was able to test was all good, so hopefully no new bugs got introduced. If not, then we're pretty close to being ready to release to the blog.

Oh, @Z31Turbo. I found that I was able to load into ME3 fine with the normal d3dx.ini file as long as I was choosing to "Resume" a savegame from the ME Launcher, if I chose "Start" it would take me to the title screen and crash. Would you mind taking a moment and confirming if you're afflicted the same way, or not? As such, in the meantime, I'm still including the "d3dx - ME3.ini" file to be used as I previously mentioned, however it is only necessary when starting a new game from ME3. Once a person has a ME3 savegame to load from, they can then revert back to the original d3dx.ini file and just launch ME3 using the Resume option from the ME launcher.

Phew. Ok, I think that's it, so: Download WIP 3_1 Here

Edit: Updated to WIP 3.1 to fix a minor file renaming error
I did some more testing and everything looks really good! The lens flares especially are nice now, I noticed they would get offset sometimes when changing the convergence on the previous one, but now they stay good throughout. From what I can tell everything works in game, the only issues I still see are some of the hud elements are being forced to 75% depth, but only some elements, like the frame around the skills bar in the top left is offset, but the buttons themselves are fine. I noticed the same thing on the load screen menu. If I push all my elements to 75% everything looks good. I noticed this both in ME2 and 3. I did find one weird area on the Normandy though where the mod pretty much breaks altogether. I think it's because the room is filled with a smoke that is interfering with the shaders, I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, but I've attached the save for it.

As for the crashing, I haven't been able to reproduce it. I got it to occur once when I launched the game by pressing start as you suggested, however when I went to launch task manager, it started responding again. After that, it hasn't happened again. I thought it might have been related to that error message above, but I see you got that taken care of already lol. I'm at a loss on this one! I've noticed ME3 seems to be the only game that connects with EA servers at launch, maybe it's network related? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amazing work on all this, it looks and plays so good now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

Bah, I hate to be piling it on too, but I found another issue. Apparently there is a flashlight in ME3 that is introduced and doesn't render any depth at all. Compared to everything else these issues are minor so definitely take your time with them.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:47 pm Thanks DJ-RK, I'm sorry I have to bother you again, this is seen on the planet with Liara's digsite (Wip 3.1)

I think that must be the reason why the sand monster has killed me far to many times already :oops:

MassEffect1016_085.jpg

John01_11.7z
Ahhh, looks like you've finally pulled ahead of me in your game. I was heading to pick up Liara after leaving the Citadel, but I decided to make a stop at the Artemis Tau Cluster first, and have since been fixing ME2 and ME3 stuff these past couple days, allowing you to take the lead. :P

No worries about piling more work on, though. On the contrary: if you keep finding issues then keep 'em coming please, and thanks for providing the gamesave.
Z31Turbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 pm... the only issues I still see are some of the hud elements are being forced to 75% depth, but only some elements, like the frame around the skills bar in the top left is offset, but the buttons themselves are fine. I noticed the same thing on the load screen menu. If I push all my elements to 75% everything looks good. I noticed this both in ME2 and 3. I did find one weird area on the Normandy though where the mod pretty much breaks altogether. I think it's because the room is filled with a smoke that is interfering with the shaders, I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, but I've attached the save for it.
Yeah, the HUD stuff is known, and is the consequence of adding autodepth to HUD elements sometimes being a bit of a balancing act. Those elements you are noticing are using shared textures with other various HUD objects that get autodepth treatment, so because they both use the same texture, when I want to add autodepth to one, it affects all of them that share the same texture (at least without using other conditional checks to isolate them). A great example is that you might also notice when using the sniper that only the actual crosshair gets autodepth, that's because EVERYTHING else, other than the text that shows the distance to target, is all one single texture. Now, I considered adding autodepth to all that, but then that made the outline around the distance to target text get pushed into autodepth, but that text will remain static, which looks a bit distracting... now I COULD autodepth that text too, but guess what? Nearly all text use the same texture, so doing that would cause most text in the game to start getting autodepth and jittering around... so, since I can't autodepth the text, I don't autodepth the borders around it and the other sniper HUD stuff that's attached to it either, because that would be more distracting than only having the crosshair having separate depth from the remainder of the scope... like I said, it's a balancing act.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer. It's a little hard to explain further to anyone without the knowledge on exactly how this stuff works, but as demonstrated, sometimes I have to make certain compromises or concessions. Like the loading screen stuff, although it is a bit uncomfortable when the text is pushed into depth while the background image is at screen depth, fixing that would require me adding in some additional textureoverride checks, which each one ever so slightly reduces performance, and considering loading screens aren't vital it's obviously a low priority fixing point, and a loss of ingame performance for such a minor thing isn't a great tradeoff. I'm anal enough about striving for perfection that I DO always make an effort on these things, I'd wager probably moreso than anyone else (I consider myself as the HUD and UI expert around here, tbh), but sometimes I do have to choose to leave a HUD element or two looking bit offset from the others because the alternative is to not have any autodepth at all on HUD elements, or to have even wonkier stuff happening. Anyways, quick solution to this, if ever needed, is to use the key to turn autodepth off via the CTRL + ] hotkey, but then everything is set to the static HUD depth value.

I know you're only reporting the issue, not complaining about said things, so I hope me explaining these things doesn't come across as me being defensive about it. I'm not explaining the above because I feel like I need to eliminate criticism or doubt of my ability, or anything of the sort. I just always try to provide a proper, technical explanation for those that are interested in the details and can potentially learn from them.
Z31Turbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:29 pm Bah, I hate to be piling it on too, but I found another issue. Apparently there is a flashlight in ME3 that is introduced and doesn't render any depth at all. Compared to everything else these issues are minor so definitely take your time with them.
Excellent. Thanks again. As usual, expect another update soon!
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm
Blacksmith60 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:47 pm Thanks DJ-RK, I'm sorry I have to bother you again, this is seen on the planet with Liara's digsite (Wip 3.1)

MassEffect1016_085.jpg

John01_11.7z
Ahhh, looks like you've finally pulled ahead of me in your game. I was heading to pick up Liara after leaving the Citadel, but I decided to make a stop at the Artemis Tau Cluster first, and have since been fixing ME2 and ME3 stuff these past couple days, allowing you to take the lead. :P

No worries about piling more work on, though. On the contrary: if you keep finding issues then keep 'em coming please, and thanks for providing the gamesave.
Z31Turbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 pm... the only issues I still see are some of the hud elements are being forced to 75% depth, but only some elements, like the frame around the skills bar in the top left is offset, but the buttons themselves are fine. I noticed the same thing on the load screen menu. If I push all my elements to 75% everything looks good. I noticed this both in ME2 and 3. I did find one weird area on the Normandy though where the mod pretty much breaks altogether. I think it's because the room is filled with a smoke that is interfering with the shaders, I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, but I've attached the save for it.
Yeah, the HUD stuff is known, and is the consequence of adding autodepth to HUD elements sometimes being a bit of a balancing act. Those elements you are noticing are using shared textures with other various HUD objects that get autodepth treatment, so because they both use the same texture, when I want to add autodepth to one, it affects all of them that share the same texture (at least without using other conditional checks to isolate them). A great example is that you might also notice when using the sniper that only the actual crosshair gets autodepth, that's because EVERYTHING else, other than the text that shows the distance to target, is all one single texture. Now, I considered adding autodepth to all that, but then that made the outline around the distance to target text get pushed into autodepth, but that text will remain static, which looks a bit distracting... now I COULD autodepth that text too, but guess what? Nearly all text use the same texture, so doing that would cause most text in the game to start getting autodepth and jittering around... so, since I can't autodepth the text, I don't autodepth the borders around it and the other sniper HUD stuff that's attached to it either, because that would be more distracting than only having the crosshair having separate depth from the remainder of the scope... like I said, it's a balancing act.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer. It's a little hard to explain further to anyone without the knowledge on exactly how this stuff works, but as demonstrated, sometimes I have to make certain compromises or concessions. Like the loading screen stuff, although it is a bit uncomfortable when the text is pushed into depth while the background image is at screen depth, fixing that would require me adding in some additional textureoverride checks, which each one ever so slightly reduces performance, and considering loading screens aren't vital it's obviously a low priority fixing point, and a loss of ingame performance for such a minor thing isn't a great tradeoff. I'm anal enough about striving for perfection that I DO always make an effort on these things, I'd wager probably moreso than anyone else (I consider myself as the HUD and UI expert around here, tbh), but sometimes I do have to choose to leave a HUD element or two looking bit offset from the others because the alternative is to not have any autodepth at all on HUD elements, or to have even wonkier stuff happening. Anyways, quick solution to this, if ever needed, is to use the key to turn autodepth off via the CTRL + ] hotkey, but then everything is set to the static HUD depth value.

I know you're only reporting the issue, not complaining about said things, so I hope me explaining these things doesn't come across as me being defensive about it. I'm not explaining the above because I feel like I need to eliminate criticism or doubt of my ability, or anything of the sort. I just always try to provide a proper, technical explanation for those that are interested in the details and can potentially learn from them.
Z31Turbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:29 pm Bah, I hate to be piling it on too, but I found another issue. Apparently there is a flashlight in ME3 that is introduced and doesn't render any depth at all. Compared to everything else these issues are minor so definitely take your time with them.
Excellent. Thanks again. As usual, expect another update soon!
Yep, makes perfect sense. I was pretty sure that was what was happening, just wanted to make sure, you seem to be striving for perfection :)

Also, if you aren't trying to romance Liara, I recommend picking her up after Virmire, her voice lines are funny lol.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

herewegoagain.gif

Download WIP 4 Here

Changelog:
-Adjustment to lighting regex to pick up additional variants (same variant was responsible for both Blacksmith's issue and Turbo's flashlight)
-Adjustment to lens flare and interaction icon regex to make it more flexible, to pick up additional variants in ME3
-HUD adjustments to prevent unwanted distortions and misalignments on (hopefully) most loading and menu screens
-Fixed an additional fog/smoke shader halo (this was actually a false positive on a regex, there may be a few others out there still)
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

Absolutely incredible! Things are looking just about perfect, I only found a couple of really minor hud issues. One in ME2 on the sniper rifle, the unzoomed cross hairs don't work properly, but the scope itself does so I'd say it's pretty much a non-issue, especially since I'm guessing it's one or the other. The other issue I found was after disabling auto hud depth and then reenabling it, it would not actually enable again, had to restart the game to get it back on. Same thing in all 3 games. I'm fairly certain this worked previously, but things are starting to blur together lol. Either way, very minor and I would say this version is good for posting.

Amazing work!
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:39 am Absolutely incredible! Things are looking just about perfect, I only found a couple of really minor hud issues. One in ME2 on the sniper rifle, the unzoomed cross hairs don't work properly, but the scope itself does so I'd say it's pretty much a non-issue, especially since I'm guessing it's one or the other.
Ahh, nice catch. Ok, just fixed that, and also remembered this time to take care of the outlines on the buttons on the top left of the screen. I think that covers all the HUD now.
The other issue I found was after disabling auto hud depth and then reenabling it, it would not actually enable again, had to restart the game to get it back on.
Ok yeah, I hadn't tested that. Coding wise it's fine, but I guess that's a weird quirk about the checktextureoverride command, doesn't like to be toggled on/off like that I guess. Fortunately you don't need to restart the game, pressing F10 reloads the fix and kicks it back into gear.
Either way, very minor and I would say this version is good for posting.

Amazing work!
Thanks man, I fixed up those last few HUD issues, and with everything else seemingly finished, I decided to finally take one last look at fixing specular reflections. Long story short: they're better and possibly fine for ME1, but get pretty busted in ME2 & ME3 on certain surfaces, so I'm still going to keep them at surface depth by default. Anyways, yeah, I think this is ready for the blog, but since I"m still so early in the game my screenshot selection is limited, so I'd like to ask if you or anyone are interested in submitting a couple of your favourite screenshots for the blog post?
Performance results here

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

DJ-RK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:07 pm Fortunately you don't need to restart the game, pressing F10 reloads the fix and kicks it back into gear.

W10 has a hidden feature to reload the graphics that may come in useful in other games. I haven't tried it, so no idea if there are side affects with the stereo wrapper, such as 3D not re-engaging.
But it would be worth a shot if F10 or ctrl+t did not correct an issue and a game restart would result in progression loss.
Windows wrote: To restart your graphics drivers, press Win + Ctrl + Shift + B on your keyboard. Your screen will go black for a split second and you'll hear a beep. Everything will then reappear just as it was before you pressed the hotkey. All your current applications remain open, and you won't lose any work.
I've been waiting for the next game that tells me that I need to restart the game for video setting changes to take affect to try it. Some older games, you could simply open the dev console and type vid_restart and the graphics would restart.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Thanks again DJ-RK, awesome games require equally awesome fixes, and you provided that, donation sent !

As you know I'm not very far and haven't any screenshots from 2-3, but these from ME1 are my favorites so far :woot :woot
MassEffect1006_085.jpg
MassEffect1013_085.jpg
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

:woot those look excellent, great work here, so amazing to have this trilogy fixed :woot
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

The forums didn't like my screenshots so I had to upload them the lazy way and zip em instead of figuring out what dimensions the forums like :P
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Lysander wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:57 am :woot those look excellent, great work here, so amazing to have this trilogy fixed :woot
Yeah - I really can't get my arms down, and imo they did a great job with the remastering, lightning, effects and most textures looks great :woot
MassEffect1028_085.jpg
MassEffect1034_085.jpg
Tron75
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tron75 »

Thank you so much for the fix DJ-RK.
Unfortunately i have some desktop crashes in ME3 sometimes. It happens only when i open a menu. Either the pause menu or the charakter selection or recently as i used the lift in the citadel.
Sometimes the game doesn't start at all. Beside that the game stutter a lot after the start and getting better after a time.
Using the latest WIP with 452.06 driver on a RTX2070.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Tron75 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:00 pm Thank you so much for the fix DJ-RK.
Unfortunately i have some desktop crashes in ME3 sometimes. It happens only when i open a menu. Either the pause menu or the charakter selection or recently as i used the lift in the citadel.
Sometimes the game doesn't start at all. Beside that the game stutter a lot after the start and getting better after a time.
Using the latest WIP with 452.06 driver on a RTX2070.
Have you read through this thread? I have already addressed and provided a workaround for ME3 crashes previously in this thread on multiple occasions, most recently not even that long ago. I don't like unnecessarily repeating myself, so either find the answer I've already provided or wait until I post the main fix up on the blog later today and read the instructions there. As for the stutters, that's how the 3D fix works. Every time a new shader comes into play, it is analyzed by 3DMigoto to see if any regex fix patterns match, which adds a little CPU overhead (and unfortunately we are usually CPU bottlenecked already, so we usually see these as sudden frame drops.). Once the shaders have been seen/analyzed/fixed once, they are cached, so next time they appear they do not need to be analyzed again and instead are loaded instantly, so the more you play the better it gets. That's the price of playing with my 3D fixes unfortunately, though for some games I do make the effort of providing my own personal cache of shaders to try to alleviate that for others. I won't be doing that for ME:L for various reasons.

Side Note: You'll usually see the sudden frame drops a lot with explosions or special abilities in games, between the combination of physics loading the CPU and also there being new shaders never being seen before being analyzed almost always causes a stall in every game. Subsequent explosions/usage of the same ability are then fine. So protip: every time you want to check out that cool new ability you just got, be prepared to do it twice to see it properly!

To everyone else: Thanks so much for those awesome screenshots, and all the help and support in getting this to the state it is so quickly and efficiently, not to mention the personal support and encouragement, which does go a long way and needs to be acknowledged and appreciated in return. You guys are all awesome, and I wouldn't be making these if not for being a part of such an awesome community.

Anyways, to the Batcavvv-... err, to the BLOG!

Edit: Looking through my own screenshots I see I took the one of the EXACT same screenshots as Blacksmith, lol.
Performance results here

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

DJ-RK wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:35 pm Blog post is up
Yay! I'm really glad I was able to help with this.

I see you changed the keybindings around though, that might cause problems in ME1. Weapon select is on F1-4
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Z31Turbo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 pm
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:35 pm Blog post is up
Yay! I'm really glad I was able to help with this.

I see you changed the keybindings around though, that might cause problems in ME1. Weapon select is on F1-4
Oh right! I noticed that initially, which was why I had those keys set up the way they were before (to not conflict), but I forgot about that, and right before changing I went into ME2 and did a reset keybindings to check which keys were available, and I was like, "Oh, F1 through F4 IS available. I wonder why I didn't use them already?" and boom!: egg on my face. :P

Thanks for catching that so I can at least address it. I don't think I will change it, but I'll leave an additional instruction on the blog page because it's just better for people to change their bindings one way or another to not conflict, because the other keys I used before are not on all regional keyboards, but the F keys are (and I'm not into a bunch of weird mismatched keys, like P for this, and M for that. F that! :lol: ). If someone REALLY wants to use those F keys for in game use (default, or otherwise) they can edit the MassEffect_Fix.ini file to change the fix keys to their preferences.

Edit: Oh, bonus points for anyone who can figure out how to get 3DFix manager to load this using the Play in 3D button will be my hero, so I can start playing this on my projector (which relies on 3DFM for 3D without needing to use an EDID). Problem is that the launcher.exe has to be launched, but it's the MassEffect1/2/3.exe that the fix need to hook into, and I can't really figure out how to have that jive in 3DFM. I tried setting up a new profile that launched the launcher, but when choosing any game from the launcher menu actually caused both my display AND the game to crash, and kick back to the launcher menu, and setting the profile to the ME1.exe and attempting to launch failed as well. So yeah, if Paul Dulser happens to read this, would be interesting to have your input on this, and I also was wondering how you might think is the best way of packaging and distributing the fix? I currently have it the way it is (duh), but I considered creating a single .zip file that contained all the directories and essentially 3 copies of the fix in each of the 3 games file paths, so that people would only need to extract once to the Mass Effect Legendary Edition root folder, which might make it easier and more managable for 3DFM's purposes. Let me know if this, or anything else, would make it easier to set up (a) profile(s) for these games.
Performance results here

Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

Hmmm, I was wondering how you were going to handle the fix manager as I suspected the launcher would cause problems. There are a few third party custom launcher for MELE that you might be able to use to either resolve the crashing issue, or use parts of it as part of a script to launch the game directly.

Check out this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectleg ... escription

It's really basic and the author provides the source code too, just open the .ahk file in notepad. Implementing this is way beyond me, but maybe it will give you some ideas?
mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

Fantastic work, DJ-RK ! Thank you !
Can u help pls with smth ? I start the game with autodepthhud off and it always starts with hud at screendepth even ater i removed all parameters except for 2 parameters i wanted and set it in constant
Z31Turbo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Z31Turbo »

mistersvin21 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm Fantastic work, DJ-RK ! Thank you !
Can u help pls with smth ? I start the game with autodepthhud off and it always starts with hud at screendepth even ater i removed all parameters except for 2 parameters i wanted and set it in constant
Make sure you are editing masseffect_fix.ini and not the DJRK fix. That caught me off at first. If not that, I'm not sure.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

mistersvin21 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm Fantastic work, DJ-RK ! Thank you !
Sure. Have you tried just using the supplied keys built in the fix to turn off autodepth HUD and using the HUD adjustment keys, rather than editing the files to remove the option all together? That's kinda why I provided those keys in the first place, since I know not everyone wants to use the autodepth option, so I tried to make it as simple as possible to disable. It *should* simply remember the values you set by pressing the keys, so you should only need to do it once and it *should* remember every time you load thereafter (though I've experienced times when 3DM doesn't save my settings, possibly due to them being declared in the MassEffect_Fix.ini file rather than the d3dx.ini file, but I'm not 100% certain on the cause)
Performance results here

mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:48 pm
Sure. Have you tried just using the supplied keys built in the fix to turn off autodepth HUD and using the HUD adjustment keys, rather than editing the files to remove the option all together? That's kinda why I provided those keys in the first place, since I know not everyone wants to use the autodepth option, so I tried to make it as simple as possible to disable. It *should* simply remember the values you set by pressing the keys, so you should only need to do it once and it *should* remember every time you load thereafter (though I've experienced times when 3DM doesn't save my settings, possibly due to them being declared in the MassEffect_Fix.ini file rather than the d3dx.ini file, but I'm not 100% certain on the cause)
thanks, have no idea why, but now it works fine :-)
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Well, that's the problem, z is what actually sets the depth in the shader, not $static_hud_depth. It's just that the two are bound together for the sake of having the user preference value saved to the d3dx_user.ini file. Since you've deleted the z = 0.75 that is in there and haven't replaced it, z defaults to 0, and you get your HUD at screen depth. You want to put z = 0.95 back in there.

Edit: Oh, you edited your comment while I was responding. Ok, glad you got it working. If not, then above explained why you were having that issue based on the your previous message that I was initially responding to.
Performance results here

mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:46 pm Well, that's the problem, z is what actually sets the depth in the shader, not $static_hud_depth. It's just that the two are bound together for the sake of having the user preference value saved to the d3dx_user.ini file. Since you've deleted the z = 0.75 that is in there and haven't replaced it, z defaults to 0, and you get your HUD at screen depth. You want to put z = 0.95 back in there.

Edit: Oh, you edited your comment while I was responding. Ok, glad you got it working. If not, then above explained why you were having that issue based on the your previous message that I was initially responding to.
i see, thanks a lot)
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Thanks for the info on this game franchise, somehow I missed it all these years. Just started ME 1 and have a few hours in. That's not common for me. Playing brilliantly here in passive 3D with DJ-RK's fix. Such a huge and great game, I felt compelled to send a small contribution to your paypal DJ, thanks for making this one the masterpiece it deserves to be.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Grant S wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 pm Thanks for the info on this game franchise, somehow I missed it all these years. Just started ME 1 and have a few hours in. That's not common for me. Playing brilliantly here in passive 3D with DJ-RK's fix. Such a huge and great game, I felt compelled to send a small contribution to your paypal DJ, thanks for making this one the masterpiece it deserves to be.
Donation was very much appreciated, sir (and the same thanks goes to everyone else that's donated as well). I'm glad to have helped introduce you to the series, and you have one of the most epic stories told in gaming history ahead of you. Enjoy the journey!
Performance results here

xabarih
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xabarih »

hello. how to disable low convergence during cutscenes and conversations in mass effect 3? Ctrl + F2 does not help
mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

thanks again DJ-RK for this! The best story/game ever ! is it just me or it should be? - in dialogues objects/characters goes black ?
mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

xabarih wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 am hello. how to disable low convergence during cutscenes and conversations in mass effect 3? Ctrl + F2 does not help
actually it is not the convergence stuff, dialogues scenes use rly low FOV, so u can use application "Flawless widescreen" and set up "cinema FOV" whatever u like (like +10) but some disadvantages there: the dialogues aren't designed for high FOV and if u increase it - some objects will disappear (still better than very low FOV in dialogues)
Last edited by mistersvin21 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

mistersvin21 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:32 pm
xabarih wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 am hello. how to disable low convergence during cutscenes and conversations in mass effect 3? Ctrl + F2 does not help
actually it is not the convergence stuff, dialogues scenes use rly low FOV, so u can use application "Flawless screen" and set up "cinema FOV" whatever u like (like +10) but some disadvantages there: the dialogues aren't designed for high FOV and if u increase it - some objects will disappear (still better than very low FOV in dialogues)
Indeed. I was discussing this very issue with masterotaku before, as I've noticed in quite a few different games that have close ups in cut scenes/conversations that no matter how much convergence you throw at it, looks extremely flat and 2D'ish (but pushed into depth), and we've concluded that is almost certainly due to a low FOV severely limiting the 3D effect.

One of my stretch goals for this fix was to try to incorporate and evolve my 3D Zoom custom shader from it's base implementation in Ryse into a semi form of autoconvergence here in ME. My intention was to try to find a reliable way to get the FOV (which in most cases isn't difficult, but sadly it's not very common in UE3 games, only one or two shaders has a direct source and I'm not confident those are always available), and then use that to adjust the convergence accordingly. Of course, the alternative (and better option) is, indeed, a way to modify the FOV ourselves, but to my knowledge that's unfortunately not possible for us to do with 3DMigoto, and would need use of an external tool like that. I was hoping such a tool would eventually surface, so thanks for finding and sharing. When I get back to playing ME I'll definitely check that out and perhaps see if I can find ways to seamlessly integrate that in the fix.

mistersvin21 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:25 pm thanks again DJ-RK for this! The best story/game ever ! is it just me or it should be? - in dialogues objects/characters goes black ?
Ummmm, nope. Never seen or heard of that. Pretty sure if anyone else experienced that they would report that, so I'm guessing you're the first. Could be an issue with the fix, but of course my first thought is it's something to do with your system (or most likely your driver installation). Please try the usual driver reinstall, make sure you have both the 3DV driver and Win 10 driver hack installed (assuming you're on Win10 past v1809), oh and make sure to disable fullscreen optimizations (I needed to do that to prevent crashing on alt + tabbing, so it could be related). If all that still fails then please provide a screenshot or two and savegame and I'll take a closer look.
Performance results here

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:56 pm Indeed. I was discussing this very issue with masterotaku before, as I've noticed in quite a few different games that have close ups in cut scenes/conversations that no matter how much convergence you throw at it, looks extremely flat and 2D'ish (but pushed into depth), and we've concluded that is almost certainly due to a low FOV severely limiting the 3D effect.
Perhaps ask DSS about this? His Life is Strange: Before the Storm fix with the first ever auto convergence, seemed to always have pop out. Of course different engine, camera, fov, etc.., but perhaps he has a secret trick and has ran into this phenomena?

Also, "extremely flat" is typically due to eye reversal or infinite parallax, in which case convergence does not help. Perhaps since it's a pre-rendered cut scene, the frames were swapped during editing? Like a photo, when someone is waving with a left hand, then inverted it looks like they are using their right hand.
I would think that if this happened, it might screw up the scene space co-ordinates, as in reverse them? Dunno. But when this happens, is there any change if you put your glasses on upside down?

Like I've mentioned previously, my star doesn't shine very bright. So excuse me if this is idiotic :)

EDIT:
BTW: for fans of Miranda's booty in ME3, there is a mod that re-introduces the gratuitous camera angles of her "assets" that were removed in the re-master
https://www.gameinformer.com/mod-corner ... randa-butt
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:31 pm Perhaps ask DSS about this? His Life is Strange: Before the Storm fix with the first ever auto convergence, seemed to always have pop out. Of course different engine, camera, fov, etc.., but perhaps he has a secret trick and has ran into this phenomena?
If only I could, amongst a thousand other questions I'd love to ask him, but I've gotten the impression he's moved on and I'm more than grateful enough to respect that.
BTW: for fans of Miranda's booty in ME3, there is a mod that re-introduces the gratuitous camera angles of her "assets" that were removed in the re-master
I'm not ashamed to admit I went to download that, but apparently it's actually a joke mod where the author added fart sounds to those scenes, lol. Actually brilliant, though I think somehow putting a video playing "Never gonna give you up" over her ass would have been the ultimate troll maneuver!
Performance results here

masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Basically:

The beginning of the gif would have a bad 3D effect, but progressively better as FOV increases :p.
I've seen what DJ-RK said, in a bunch games (especially deceiving if it's low FOV but very zoomed out camera). Very low FOV "asks" for low convergence to look natural. Trying to force more is futile because it looks like you're bringing out almost flat layers to an unnatural depth.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:23 pm
3DNovice wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:31 pm Perhaps ask DSS about this? His Life is Strange: Before the Storm fix with the first ever auto convergence, seemed to always have pop out. Of course different engine, camera, fov, etc.., but perhaps he has a secret trick and has ran into this phenomena?
If only I could, amongst a thousand other questions I'd love to ask him, but I've gotten the impression he's moved on and I'm more than grateful enough to respect that.
I'm not ashamed to admit I went to download that, but apparently it's actually a joke mod where the author added fart sounds to those scenes, lol. Actually brilliant, though I think somehow putting a video playing "Never gonna give you up" over her ass would have been the ultimate troll maneuver!
Full disclosure, it's Friday evening, it's very warm and I've had a few beers..

I think you're probably right about DSS but have you actually asked him? I know life is complicated, but I had a conversation with him regarding the Patreon not long ago as my income suifferend during Covid and he was very understanding.
He may have backed away a bit but I think he'd be amenable if you asked him for help, especially with your history/credentials mate :-)
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

DJ-RK wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:23 pm apparently it's actually a joke mod where the author added fart sounds to those scenes, lol. Actually brilliant, though I think somehow putting a video playing "Never gonna give you up" over her ass would have been the ultimate troll maneuver!
Damn it!!
Those shenanigans should be reserved for April 1st!

On a side note:
One of my favorite movie moments, I don't think I've ever laughed so thoroughly
https://youtu.be/gk4qqIBf3Yg?t=139
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

masterotaku wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:41 pm Basically:

The beginning of the gif would have a bad 3D effect, but progressively better as FOV increases :p.
I've seen what DJ-RK said, in a bunch games (especially deceiving if it's low FOV but very zoomed out camera). Very low FOV "asks" for low convergence to look natural. Trying to force more is futile because it looks like you're bringing out almost flat layers to an unnatural depth.
Oh, I see now. I thought it was because it was too zoomed in on the face. Like this...

The flickering was a bit annoying, but the implementation was ground breaking and very enjoyable for the first iteration of auto-convergence
Life is Strange - Before the Storm016_050.jpg
Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

russellk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:45 pm I think you're probably right about DSS but have you actually asked him? I know life is complicated, but I had a conversation with him regarding the Patreon not long ago as my income suifferend during Covid and he was very understanding.
He may have backed away a bit but I think he'd be amenable if you asked him for help, especially with your history/credentials mate :-)
Don't want to go into too much detail (again, out of respect for him) but yes, I have reached out to him recently, however I have not been on the receiving end of communication from him for quite some time. One can come to a lot of different conclusions from that or take it personally, but again, I choose to simply respect his decision rather than press the matter or reasoning behind further. I'm grateful for all he's given to the community and to myself, and if he's done with me/us/whatever then I simply wish him nothing but the best in that, and the rest of his endeavors.
Performance results here

mistersvin21
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mistersvin21 »

thank you DJ-RK, i'll try to reinstall the driver, but the thing is I disabled DOF by fefault in .ini (i've read that there were some issues when disabling it, but not black things in dialogues)
and yes, I find Flawless Widescreen the best app for playing our favourite game - u can set up FOV in game and in dialogues SEPARATELY, i recommend it for everyone

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”