Grand theft Auto 4 - Helixmod Fix

Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Grand theft Auto 4 - Helixmod Fix

Post by Blacksmith60 »

mikear69 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:41 am
Blacksmith60 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 am @ Mike, it works here with 1.2.0.43 just copy / paste all files except the 2 ini's and the dll, overwrite every thing.
You doesn't need any additionel textures or anything else, and only dll present should be yours.

I've tried proxylib both ways, wrappers, SpecialK and EnbInjector, no dice, so the only known solution is the above, but it's not bad at all :)

@Chtiblue, I've tried to install the mod twice, both times ZERO motion blur is enabled, so it's a problem in your end.
The presets also works perfect here, so again, it's in your end ;)
I got this working using the ProxyLib function in the helix DX9Settings.ini file, pointing to the reshade dll. I created a subfolder called "RESHADE" and put all reshade files and folders in there, then in the DX9Settings.ini file put a full path reference to the rehsade d3d9.dll file (so did not need to rename it, which fails), and it all worked. I can use the helix debugger and I have the reshade menu (by pressing "end"). And the stereo Bloom fix I did, still applies. The only problem is that all of the special effects in reshade, like "magicbloom" and so on mess up the rendering like I described before, the stereo offset is diagonal. Turning them all off makes it render correctly in stereo again. I am not sure how much of reshade I am using in this scenario, though there is a lot more shiny reflective stuff on the ground, and the daytime lighting is much nicer and more natural (not so yellowy and dim) so I guess its still doing something. I'll have a tweak with the settings later, its all a wee bit dark for me right now, and the bloom is less bloomy than default etc.
Mike, this is AWESOME !!!!!
What a simple yet brilliant solution, and if I'm not wrong - this little trick will be usefull in many other games, where we can't get the two dll's to coexsist :woot

I've just tried it, and... well I'm not even sure it's worth it, the performance suddenly got very shaky and I don't like the lens flare thing on the headlights...
At this point I prefer the reshade solution without the dll, it still gives you a big boost to nearly everything.

But ofc I don't want your new bloom fix unused, so Ill uninstall the game yet again, and start all over, to see if it's possible to come up with something better, maybe an Enb is possible with you little trick !
mikear69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikear69 »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 am
mikear69 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:41 am
Blacksmith60 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 am @ Mike, it works here with 1.2.0.43 just copy / paste all files except the 2 ini's and the dll, overwrite every thing.
You doesn't need any additionel textures or anything else, and only dll present should be yours.

I've tried proxylib both ways, wrappers, SpecialK and EnbInjector, no dice, so the only known solution is the above, but it's not bad at all :)

@Chtiblue, I've tried to install the mod twice, both times ZERO motion blur is enabled, so it's a problem in your end.
The presets also works perfect here, so again, it's in your end ;)
I got this working using the ProxyLib function in the helix DX9Settings.ini file, pointing to the reshade dll. I created a subfolder called "RESHADE" and put all reshade files and folders in there, then in the DX9Settings.ini file put a full path reference to the rehsade d3d9.dll file (so did not need to rename it, which fails), and it all worked. I can use the helix debugger and I have the reshade menu (by pressing "end"). And the stereo Bloom fix I did, still applies. The only problem is that all of the special effects in reshade, like "magicbloom" and so on mess up the rendering like I described before, the stereo offset is diagonal. Turning them all off makes it render correctly in stereo again. I am not sure how much of reshade I am using in this scenario, though there is a lot more shiny reflective stuff on the ground, and the daytime lighting is much nicer and more natural (not so yellowy and dim) so I guess its still doing something. I'll have a tweak with the settings later, its all a wee bit dark for me right now, and the bloom is less bloomy than default etc.
Mike, this is AWESOME !!!!!
What a simple yet brilliant solution, and if I'm not wrong - this little trick will be usefull in many other games, where we can't get the two dll's to coexsist :woot

I've just tried it, and... well I'm not even sure it's worth it, the performance suddenly got very shaky and I don't like the lens flare thing on the headlights...
At this point I prefer the reshade solution without the dll, it still gives you a big boost to nearly everything.

But ofc I don't want your new bloom fix unused, so Ill uninstall the game yet again, and start all over, to see if it's possible to come up with something better, maybe an Enb is possible with you little trick !
@Blacksmith60 That's interesting - I get no lens flare on headlights, or performance degradation. Something must be a bit different between what/how we installed etc. I will pull together all the steps I did later (can't do it right now), but in the meantime, here are some link to images:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/olp212o8n2az3 ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhwcherdzz1xr ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0dcm004a9gwt ... y.jpg?dl=0
It has some cars and headlights in it - but you will see hardly any bloom compared the the non-reshade version below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0igexjg8pnf9s ... 0.jpg?dl=0

On the reshade settings Tab there is a "usage mode", which can be set to 'performance', maybe try that. Would be good to understand what the differences are though.
mikear69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikear69 »

@Blacksmith60 I played around including (and not) the reshade dll, and since I can't enable the special effects without breaking Stereo, I agree that not including it has no effect on anything else that has been installed - I really cannot tell any difference, and took screen shots and compared the same locations etc. I did have a quick look at the re-shade shaders themselves to see they could be "fixed", but I don't really know where to start. I actually really like the current result, night time is now way better contrast and I like it much more, for example.

However, I did notice a few residual effects to be fixed - windows on cars for example still had reflections painted on, so I sorted that out. Also started to noted that the game has a number of reflection effects that work in the "painted on the surface" method straight out the box with no fix (car window reflections is one of them). I identified two new shader patterns to "break" the surface-painted rendering and fudge some depth. Trouble is there are lots of potential shaders, and I found that the few I fixed benefitted from a slightly different fudge factor, and I don't have time to track everything down. I fixed reflections in subway wall tiles, reflections in wall pictures, reflections in marble (floor and table) surfaces, and some reflections in subway windows. The car window one is the most noticeable/important one though. I also fixed a couple residual lighting shaders (more resource sharing issues).

Anyway, here is v0.9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q5yq7q4mm61q ... 8.rar?dl=0
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

mikear69 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:49 pm @Blacksmith60 I played around including (and not) the reshade dll, and since I can't enable the special effects without breaking Stereo, I agree that not including it has no effect on anything else that has been installed - I really cannot tell any difference, and took screen shots and compared the same locations etc. I did have a quick look at the re-shade shaders themselves to see they could be "fixed", but I don't really know where to start. I actually really like the current result, night time is now way better contrast and I like it much more, for example.

However, I did notice a few residual effects to be fixed - windows on cars for example still had reflections painted on, so I sorted that out. Also started to noted that the game has a number of reflection effects that work in the "painted on the surface" method straight out the box with no fix (car window reflections is one of them). I identified two new shader patterns to "break" the surface-painted rendering and fudge some depth. Trouble is there are lots of potential shaders, and I found that the few I fixed benefitted from a slightly different fudge factor, and I don't have time to track everything down. I fixed reflections in subway wall tiles, reflections in wall pictures, reflections in marble (floor and table) surfaces, and some reflections in subway windows. The car window one is the most noticeable/important one though. I also fixed a couple residual lighting shaders (more resource sharing issues).

Anyway, here is v0.9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q5yq7q4mm61q ... 8.rar?dl=0
You are a true perfectionist - I like that :)
And it ceartainly shows in-game, the sunlight reflection in the car windows is stunning, also the small things is great, it makes all the difference when you sum it up.

I've spend some time experimenting - Somehow Enb breaks when using your metod, but I got the reshade working, simply delete the old one, install latest reshade and remember to tick the last option which is legacy shaders, among them you can find the exact shaders from the mod !
Now every thing works, magicbloom and so on except for Mxao (sao) which is in screendepht, that sucks because that might be the most important shader !
I'm not sure if we actually like the change, also I have to sell out DSR, my game runs perfect in 4X1440P, but with reshade not so much, and so far I've chosen DSR over Reshade, as you noticed it looks great now even without rehade :woot

Can't thank you enough, what a treat to play GTA4 in 3D !!
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 am
Now every thing works except for Mxao (sao) which is in screendepht
Perhaps you could throw GeDoSaTo into the mix, it has HBAO support and a better depth mapping for dx9 according to the ReShade thread linked below.
https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato

Unicorn was also looking at GeDoSaTo himself, so that he could add MXAO. But I do not even see a pull request on github.
https://reshade.me/forum/shader-discuss ... o-gedosato

There's also Nvidia's HBAO+, it mentions that the GPU must have dx11 support, but does not mention being exclusive to dx11 games
I've used this in the past in a few games, but I can't remember which one or find my post about it, on the old forums.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/te ... echnology/
RealNC wrote:You know if the game is supported if the "Ambient Occlusion" setting for a game profile in the control panel is not grayed out. Simply set it to either of the two options "performance" or "quality", and you'll get HBAO+. Note that the "performance" setting is also HBAO+, but in contrast to the "quality" setting it doesn't use the full resolution of the game to render the ambient occlusion.
quoted from Guru3D forums

Edit: I just came across this
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_ ... for_Nvidia

Edit2: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/ReShade

Just saw a section (List of known shader repositories), on the above link, that shows some shaders I was not aware of. Such as BlueSkyDefender (SuperDepth3D author) has AstrayFX. It also list Shaders (MadCake) which is for SSAO, but doesn't mention API version support
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Very interesting ideas you have, I'll take a closer look tomorrow..
I have tried NV's and it works, but the result was bland and some light sources seems to wanish...

@Mike, Btw after I have actually started playing, I've noticed one little issue, the gunplay is much easier now with 3D (not unexpected:) but the crosshair is kindof double with the high convergence preset, wich I prefer, the low one is great for movies though, is it possible to do anything about that ?
Last edited by Blacksmith60 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm
Btw after I have actually started playing, I've noticed one little issue, the gunplay is much easier now with 3D (not unexpected:) but the crosshair is kindof double with the high convergence preset, wich I prefer, the low one is great for movies though, is it possible to do anything about that ?
BTW I found the gunplay very old in this game and quite boring and totally unrealistic (specially in ep LC)...

Anyway you have a low hud/crosshair depth preset with right mouse button so if you use a gamepad like me you have to use "Joytokey" or equivalent to make Left Trigger=Right mouse button.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Chtiblue wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm
Blacksmith60 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm
Btw after I have actually started playing, I've noticed one little issue, the gunplay is much easier now with 3D (not unexpected:) but the crosshair is kindof double with the high convergence preset, wich I prefer, the low one is great for movies though, is it possible to do anything about that ?
BTW I found the gunplay very old in this game and quite boring and totally unrealistic (specially in ep LC)...

Anyway you have a low hud/crosshair depth preset with right mouse button so if you use a gamepad like me you have to use "Joytokey" or equivalent to make Left Trigger=Right mouse button.
Yeah I know, but thats not the issue, the problem is when aming with RMB pressed I have two crosshairs unless I use the low convergence preset, which I dont like for gunplay :)
And ofc you're right, it's old and quirky but it doesn't borther me that much ;)
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Do you play with a controller?
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Nope, RMB=Right Mouse Button :)
I have a monitor, I assume controllers are mostly for big screen gamers ?
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Yep mostly for the comfort it brings
mikear69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikear69 »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm Very interesting ideas you have, I'll take a closer look tomorrow..
I have tried NV's and it works, but the result was bland and some light sources seems to wanish...

@Mike, Btw after I have actually started playing, I've noticed one little issue, the gunplay is much easier now with 3D (not unexpected:) but the crosshair is kindof double with the high convergence preset, wich I prefer, the low one is great for movies though, is it possible to do anything about that ?
Hi I know what the issue is. I started to fix last night, but did not finish it. Open up the 3 vertex shaders that have "Hud" on the top line, find "def c201", and cgange "0.99" to something smaller, like "0.5". I wont be near my computer for about 5 days, so hopefully this will sort it oyt short term.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

mikear69 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:19 pm
Blacksmith60 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm Very interesting ideas you have, I'll take a closer look tomorrow..

Hi I know what the issue is. I started to fix last night, but did not finish it. Open up the 3 vertex shaders that have "Hud" on the top line, find "def c201", and cgange "0.99" to something smaller, like "0.5". I wont be near my computer for about 5 days, so hopefully this will sort it oyt short term.
Thanks Mike, 0.8 was the sweet spot for me.
I'm beginning to see why some thinks we are cheating, in dart I could hit bulls eye 5 times out of six, Roman was pissed - Lol :)
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Could not find Grand Theft Auto 5 topic in these forums. Just started playing GTA5 (recent free game on Epic) with Vive Pro and GitHub mod - see https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod/releases. So far, the game/mod appears to be quite immersive. There are very few open world games available in VR, so this is welcome addition. I hope this VR mod is as consistent throughout the game as the Alien Isolation VR mod is. Note that an Outer Wilds VR mod also exists on GitHub.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Thank you so much for this amazing fix. Really great to see GTA 4 in 3d vision at this level. However, I am having serious performance issues with this game, in particular heavy stutters. Have tried some fix suggestions that I have found googling. I guess this PC port is notably bad, but have you guys got any tips for getting this game to run smoothly without stutters? I can not get this thing to run at 1080p/60 smoothly even with all settings at lowest. Also tried 720p, but same thing. 1080p with medium settings much the same thing. Severe stutters especially when moving the camera.

Thanks!
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Ok, nevermind. Vsync off in NCP and SLI off seems to provide a smooth experience, if ingame settings are tweaked a bit (distance, car densitty etc set to 1). It is almost not comprehendable the amount of life 3d vision blows into this old game. Just wow! Sad so few gamers will get to experience this goodness.
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
mikear69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikear69 »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:53 am Thanks Mike, 0.8 was the sweet spot for me.
I'm beginning to see why some thinks we are cheating, in dart I could hit bulls eye 5 times out of six, Roman was pissed - Lol :)
I updated it to that the depth of the cross-hair changes with the convergence, using 0.99 for C=0.3, and 0.8 for C=1.0, with linear interpolation between. Also fixed a couple more reflections, but am stopping now ;-)
v0.9: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykttlgw6oz9hj ... 9.rar?dl=0
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Thanks! I noticed in combat yesterday that the cross-hair was not adjusted, so this is great. Together with the RealityIV v 2.0 fix, which removes the Rockstar "piss filter", this looks amazing and clean now.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

mikear69 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:32 pm
Blacksmith60 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:53 am Thanks Mike, 0.8 was the sweet spot for me.
I updated it to that the depth of the cross-hair changes with the convergence, using 0.99 for C=0.3, and 0.8 for C=1.0, with linear interpolation between. Also fixed a couple more reflections, but am stopping now ;-)
v0.9: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykttlgw6oz9hj ... 9.rar?dl=0
And why shouldn't you ;)
You've have succeded in fixing GTA4 to perfection, truly amazing achievement, Thanks mate !

I hope you'll relax and enjoy the game in perfect 3D, now it's finally worth playing / replaying :woot
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Just want to say thank you Mike for fixing this game!! You deserve another Golden 3DVision Award.

I started playing this way back and it was where I built my first computer which had a GTX260 in it. But even with the GTX680 it was never really a good experience with the missing shadows.

So far the experience was really good with almost no broken effects. Only issue was game breaking stuttering that was overcome by activating the Steam overlay while playing. VSync only helped for a short while then the stuttering would come back. The game almost runs as good as San Andreas now =)
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Lizzard wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:43 am Just want to say thank you Mike for fixing this game!! You deserve another Golden 3DVision Award.

So far the experience was really good with almost no broken effects. Only issue was game breaking stuttering that was overcome by activating the Steam overlay while playing. VSync only helped for a short while then the stuttering would come back. The game almost runs as good as San Andreas now =)
Yeah, golden fix, thx to Golden Mike69 8)

You mean that activating steam overlay makes disappear stuttering?
john-glad
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by john-glad »

Has anyone tested this with Geo-11 via dgVoodoo 2?
As I have a 4090 and only a TV which support SBS/TAB or Interlaced this would be the only option I assume.
Dazzawill
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dazzawill »

john-glad wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:40 am Has anyone tested this with Geo-11 via dgVoodoo 2?
As I have a 4090 and only a TV which support SBS/TAB or Interlaced this would be the only option I assume.
Pretty sure it worked allright when I tried it before getting 3d vision working on my projector setup. Now I only play it like that, as it is so superior, however I can only use DX9 games this way, as I have a 3070ti running latest drivers. I use Geo11 SBS on DX11 games which is still a great experience, so that being your only option is better than nothing.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Chtiblue wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:18 pm Yeah, golden fix, thx to Golden Mike69 8)

You mean that activating steam overlay makes disappear stuttering?
Yeah, strangest solution ever. But it works for me. So far I have to say. The stuttering was so bad that I couldn't compromise. I know Mike said something about this happening in the beginning but if it was caching it should go away but it didn't. After turning on the Steam overlay it started performing great.

Strangely this game is pretty addictive even with all the vice. Curious why they never came back to this one to also stereorise it natively.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”