Kinect Inadvertently Demonstrates 3D, U-Decide Update

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Kinect Inadvertently Demonstrates 3D, U-Decide Update

Post by Dom »

For realtime usage and to give an idea for software look at this video from MIT that shows how to look around the back of objects.

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/cam ... ch_related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Kinect Inadvertently Demonstrates 3D, U-Decide Update

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks Dom, I can actually imagine ways this has uses in generating a synthetic stereo pair of images from 2D+ depth that I hadn't even contemplated. Its brilliant.

Thanks again
Cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Kinect Inadvertently Demonstrates 3D, U-Decide Update

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

We have a proof of concept 3D lesson for everyone today!  Unless you have a medical limitation, you are probably able to perceive 3D, and this is how it works:  if you close your eyes one at a time, you will see that each eye sees a slightly offset view from the other.  In addition to being offset, each eye sees more of one view than the other.  Your brain takes the unique images provided by your left and right eyes, and combines them into a single picture. This picture includes the depth we all take for granted.

[caption id="attachment_15854" align="alignnone" width=""]Stereoscopic 3D ExplanationStereoscopic 3D Explanation[/caption]

In the S-3D gaming market, there are two dominant schools of thought.  The first is complete left and right camera view rendering that could require double the processing power (in some cases).  Most PC stereoscopic 3D drivers and a selection of console games do this 100% of the time.  The second option is 2D+Depth which only renders a single camera, and based on the game's inherent Z-buffer information, it places the objects at different depths.  This is advantageous because there is little to no loss of performance, but you lose that extra information that a second camera would normally provide.  So how important is this extra information?

Return to “MTBS News”