In SHADOWoftheTOMBRAIDER you can now easily activate DX12-3DVision (updated v2.0)

floph
Cross Eyed!

Re: In SHADOWoftheTOMBRAIDER you can now easily activate DX12-3D

Post by floph »

Lizzard wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:59 am I just want to share something with you guys that I haven't heard others mention before. So excuse my post if it has been discussed before. (Im not an eagle on these forums as i once was).

It will be something to look forward to for those who haven't come to the VR party yet. And for those already onboard there is a tip I just discovered going through the Cyberpunk YT VorpX VR videos. Something I've never thought about. The logic was formulated in my mind but the puzzle pieces missing.

When you render something in your HMD you want to give it a higher resolution than your HMD can handle. That way you give it as much quality as it can handle. From my little understanding this is what super sampling is in a nutshell. Which means minimum/no aliasing/screendoor. For that matter I've been using DSR this whole time. In SOTTR x4 to be specific at 60hz and half-refresh rate Vsync. This basically means 4k at 30fps/eye smoothed out. No stuttering. In VR, stuttering is far more worse than low frames, IMO. Cause I believe this is the Nr1 cause or influence of motion sickness. Many FPS + stuttering actually useless. So as long as the FPS are consistent a game will be playable. But more frames is what makes VR more polished and acceptable.

So this morning I got another mini heart attack when I deactivated DSR and started playing with CUSTOM resolutions and got a silky smooth experience at the best quality my O+ could handle. So instead of feeding my HMD 3840x2160 DSR I started feeding it a custom resolution of 2843x1600 which is its native pixels. 3840x2160p HSBS was quite better than 2560x1440p HSBS. And slightly better than 2560x1440p FSBS. Yes, it still doesn't use the full panel like you would in a VR optimized game. But there is hardly a quality difference between HSBS DSR 4k and custom HSBS 2843x1600. Which means the GPU isn't nearly as overloaded as with HSBS 4kDSR. Now im playing at 100hz half-resolution Vsync with minimum to no stuttering on DX12. Which means 50frames per eye in ultra settings on a gigantic virtual cinema! Currently, this is by far the best way you could enjoy SOTTR!!!! And I would go as far as to say any stereoscopic game.

Set out just to test this but got lost for 4 hours. I couldn't believe it!
Just keep in mind this is with the native SBS. No 3d vision in loop.

You guys struggling with this game and DX12, here is a good alternative. If you've ever wanted to try a 720p 3d projector I can say without a doubt that the Samsung O+ is much better. Instead of struggling to make your whole room dark you simply put a HMD on and it is pitch black. Also no lamps and higher electricity bill. You definitely see a difference on your electricity bill that's equal to 20$ every month when regularly using a PJ. From what I've heard the Vive Pro is just as good if not better with the lens mod. Just be thorough when searching for a HMD.

Custom resolutions are very interesting. Not all games works well with resolutions that aren't perfectly 16:9. So you need to multiply the vertical pixels of your choice with 1,777 to determine the horizontal pixels. Say for example if you use vertical 1800p you will multiply it with 1,777 to get 3199 horizontal. Just do it if you have an alternative monitor at hand to test. Countless times I ended up out of range where I had to kill my PC. Just be careful with the refresh rate. My screen could only handle 120/100/60. 90 seems to cause problems. Just be careful what ever you do. nVidia also warns that you could bust you monitor if you're not careful. Luckily nothing serious happened while i tried this. But i tried not to go to ridiculous numbers.

Custom res.png

I wanted to see if I could fill the entire panel on the HMD without making the virtual screen bigger. Ideally the ultimate would be to have your head tracking connected to another "camera" inside the game without altering the character's view. Your head tracking connected to the in game camera. But not like the one where your head tracking is connected to the crosshair like VorpX. I assume this would need to be game engine dependent.

Any one with links or more information please share.
Thanks for sharing your findings.

Any particular reason for going with 2843x1600 instead of 2880x1600 ?
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

floph wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:40 am Thanks for sharing your findings.

Any particular reason for going with 2843x1600 instead of 2880x1600 ?
This is still very experimental. What really needs to be done is to start from the lowest resolution and start moving up until you cant notice any improvement in quality. That is where the roof will be and where you only start to over tax your hardware. Its like someone whose working out where they eat more than their body can process. So they eat for example 10 apples but the body only needs 6. A total waste when out of balance. Its the same principle with Super Sampling. Your pixels can only handle so much data before your GPU becomes overtaxed unnecessarily.

The reason why I use 2843 is because that is what 1600x1,777 gives me. Otherwise it could be 2880x1620. Im not sure the specs for these HMDs are 100% accurate or if they are rounded too. Games actually calculates the aspect ratio regardless of your custom resolution. It completely confuses Virtual Desktop since their code is based on common aspect ratios of 16:9x2 or 16/2:9 when using their SBS shader. When i use 3840x1080p for example it is, in theory fullSBS/16:9x2. The pixels on your monitor are arranged uniformally. Vertical lines multiplied by X amount of horizontal columns.

You could either divide your horizontal lines by your vertical lines to get the ratio.

3820/2160=1,7777777 OR 1920/1080=1,77777777.
Which you need to multiply your custom vertical pixels by.

Or you could divide your vertical pixels with your horizontal pixels.

2160/3840=0,5625 OR 1080/1920=0,5625.
Which might be more practical since it is more rounded. Then you multiply your custom horizontal pixels with this number. Then you keep the common 16:9 aspect ratio which has become the standard in todays monitors.

This is also integrated into the software. But I speak under speculation. I dont know much about game engines. But here is what i picked up on Trine3 when tested.
Custom resB.jpg

Here is what we currently have with 16:9 aspect ratio...
Current 16-9 aspect ratio.jpg
Here is what you could achieve with custom resolutions if Virtual Desktop or Katanga allows it...
Hope to achieve.jpg
The bottom one will become essential where your in game camera is tied to your head tracking. This is where VorpX currently has some leverage in immersion. Something it offers in GTA5, RDR2 and Cyberpunk. Im burning to experience this now. But coming from the high standards this community has maintained I hope it wont disappoint. But after playing through Zelda's fake 3d implementation I can say its not always about the quality. Worst case scenario the shaders needs to be disabled. This is a deal breaker when overwhelmed. Finally got Command & Conquer 3 to budge in VR with SuperDepth3d. Its really not that bad. But I might always feel it could have been better. Im still hopeful that gameDevs or die hard fans will do this somewhere in the distant future. Until then we just have to enjoy what there is. Things keep evolving. Sometimes for better. Sometimes for worse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

First page updated available here.
new version has been released that solves the problems.

Lysander wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:35 am Fantastic, I hope it works for you and helps some other people - this game is just stunning in 3D, I can't get over it :D
Lysander , this method really works. that was great, thank you. Thanks to you, I wrote a code to make this method practical. hopefully 3D will work automatically on everyone's computer. I also updated on start3d.exe. I hope it works on all processors now. ;) If you didn't uninstall the game, I would be glad if you tested it. Thank you in the private message. ;)
Pauldusler wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:17 am My theory is that DX12 3D doesn't work on RTX 2000 cards in general any more. ROTTR also does not work in DX12 any more. Tested on RTX 2080S, 452.06 driver, Win10 20H2.
Because interestingly the game crashes for Masterotaku, Helifax and me - we are all on RTX 2000 series cards. And when reading through the posts here only people with RTX 1000 series cards confirmed it working.
EDIT: Oh I just read the crash fix post by Lysander who is also on a RTX 2000 series card. I'll test that.
I think it has nothing to do with graphics cards.It's a windows10-based problem that keeps its mystery. Although I did not change my video card, after a windows update, this problem appeared on me. I updated start3d.exe. I prepared a new tomb raider profile. I'll be glad if you test it.

If you want, you can write a code that will do 3D Launcher.exe operations with 3fixmanager's own system.

Source code is available here. (Autohotkey script)
Basically 3DLauncher.exe does :
• Start3D.exe is launching. (triggering the game's 3D feature)
• If 3Dvison is active , it is turn off immediately. (The game needs to be started in 2D. Otherwise it crashes.)
• a few seconds after the game is started, I automatically start 3Dvision in the background again.
• After a few seconds, I have the screen refresh rate set back to 120. (necessary)
• while the game continues to launch, I launch a 3D picture in the background with nvstview.exe. (3D Vision Photo viewer)
• This way the emitter is triggered.
• the picture should appear on the screen for a few seconds. If you close the picture, the 3d rendering in the game ends. Instead of closing the picture, I first throw it to the background.
• a few seconds later, I turn the picture window into a hidden window.
• 3D is activated when the game menu is displayed. or I do ALT TAB to enter the game again. 3D is active.
• Start3D.exe and nvstview.exe are automatically closed when the game is exited.
Last edited by TimFx7 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) , i7 6700K 4.7GHz , DDR4 3000MHz 32GB, GTX 1660 Super , PG278Q , 3D Vision 2
My 3D Epic Screenshots I - II and Videos ----- GHOSTING Fix PG278Q ------- HITMAN-2 3D-FIX TOOLBOX
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: In SHADOWoftheTOMBRAIDER you can now easily activate DX12-3DVision (updated v2.0)

Post by Lysander »

That's awesome, I'm super happy I was able to contribute in a small way here :) I do have the game still installed as I like to visit the jungle from time to time and look around :D - I will test your new exe, hopefully later today.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: In SHADOWoftheTOMBRAIDER you can now easily activate DX12-3DVision (updated v2.0)

Post by Pauldusler »

Truely awesome! I just tested your new solution and it works! Never thought that SOTTR would run on my RTX 2080S in DX 12 :D.

Here some feedback:

I threw all your files into the SOTTR folder and startet 3DLauncher.exe without 3DFM. First it didn't work, the game didn't start and an error message showed up ("Failed to initialize 3D Vision for DX12, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider could not be started. Please make sure Steam is running and you are logged in to an account entitled to the game.)" - the reason was we have to run your tool explicitely as admin - even though it asks for some persmissions on start by default. After running the tool as admin the game started, 3D was automatically enabled when the game window popped up and the green light on my monitor got active signalizing that 3D mode was active. However when I was in main menu it was 2D. I tabbed out of the game, maximized again and voilà: glorious 3D!!

After that I got really curious if the same trick also worked for Rise of the Tomb Raider. So I started the game in 2D mode, selected "Stereoscopic 3D On" in the game launcher settings window and when I was in the main menu I tabbed out of the game, enabled 3D via 3DFM and clicked on an arbitrary 3D screenshot. Then I maximized the game again and voilà: glorious 3D!

Super cool trick! Now I'm motivated trying to automate this natively in 3DFM :->.

@Tim: Maybe you can try to automate to minimize the game and then maximize again to make 3D starting to work. This is the only piece missing in your 3DLauncher.exe

Thank you very much @Tim and @Lysander! Maybe in 3DFM 1.82 you will see this automated for both ROTTR and SOTTR :).

It's a big "perhaps" but maybe on a RTX 3080 SOTTR and ROTTR work as well. I'll test with latest drivers on my RTX 2080S and give feedback then.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:28 pm Thank you very much @Tim and @Lysander! Maybe in 3DFM 1.82 you will see this automated for both ROTTR and SOTTR :).
@Tim: Maybe you can try to automate to minimize the game and then maximize again to make 3D starting to work. This is the only piece missing in your 3DLauncher.exe
Thanks Markus :D
In fact, the method you mentioned came to my mind and I used it in the code, but it did not work 100% efficient in the application. 50% 3d was activated, in short, it didn't work every time. so i removed it from code. I guess it's about the working range of start3d.exe. It takes 1 second to activate 3D. (so that the processor is not loaded)
Pauldusler wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:28 pm It's a big "perhaps" but maybe on a RTX 3080 SOTTR and ROTTR work as well. I'll test with latest drivers on my RTX 2080S and give feedback then.
this method does not work on the latest driver. 3D Vision Photo viewer does not activate 3D in small window. It only activates it in full screen.
Somehow it should be provided to work in window mode. maybe a hidden nvida profile setting is required. I have made various experiments but have not been successful.
Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) , i7 6700K 4.7GHz , DDR4 3000MHz 32GB, GTX 1660 Super , PG278Q , 3D Vision 2
My 3D Epic Screenshots I - II and Videos ----- GHOSTING Fix PG278Q ------- HITMAN-2 3D-FIX TOOLBOX
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm Thanks Markus :D
In fact, the method you mentioned came to my mind and I used it in the code, but it did not work 100% efficient in the application. 50% 3d was activated, in short, it didn't work every time. so i removed it from code. I guess it's about the working range of start3d.exe. It takes 1 second to activate 3D. (so that the processor is not loaded)
Lol I had to fight as well at that point. But it seems to work now. I ran it a dozen times and it worked every time so far.

Code: Select all

if (File.Exists(stereoImagePath) && File.Exists(stereoPhotoViewer))
            {
                // Start 3D Vision Photo Viewer.
                // It's the only way to enable 3D for SOTTR and ROTTR.
                // The photo viewer will force itself into the foreground automatically - game loses focus then.
                // This behaviour is super important because 3D only works if the game loses focus once and is brought to foreground again after that.
                PhotoViewerProcess = new Process();
                PhotoViewerProcess.StartInfo.FileName = stereoPhotoViewer;
                PhotoViewerProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = "\"" + stereoImagePath + "\"";
                PhotoViewerProcess.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = Path.GetDirectoryName(stereoPhotoViewer);
                PhotoViewerProcess.Start();
                PhotoViewerProcess.WaitForInputIdle();

// Give the photo viewer an additional second until the image has been completely loaded.
                // The photo viewer and the image have to be completely loaded before we can hide them.
                Thread.Sleep(1000);

// We don't want to confuse the user with the stereo 3D photo. So we hide the Photo Viewer.
                ShowWindowAsync(PhotoViewerProcess.MainWindowHandle, SW_HIDE);
            }
For ROTTR it will be harder it seems. The stereo 3D option can't be enabled via registry key although an entry exists for it. Seems to get ignored by the game :(. Any idea?
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 pm For ROTTR it will be harder it seems. The stereo 3D option can't be enabled via registry key although an entry exists for it. Seems to get ignored by the game :(. Any idea?
It is necessary to determine the value of the 3D option with the cheat engine. then you send this value to the game using the method in Start3D.exe the game is not installed, I download it now. I will determine the value and tell you.
Last edited by TimFx7 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:43 pm It is necessary to determine the value of the 3D option with the cheat engine. then you send this value to the game using the method in Start3D.exe the game is not installed, I download it now. I will determine the value and tell you.
Would be super great if you could create another Start3d.exe optimized for ROTTR which forces 3D :D. I just don't find any automatic way to trigger 3D. The game expects from you that you re-enble it with the config tool on each game start what is totally lame.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Update: I just added special 3DFM code instructions for ROTTR + DX12 - however the user still has to enable 3D from the config tool. After that everything works automatically, Nvidia stereoscopic 3D is activated when the user loads to the main menu, 3D kicks in via loading the 3D screenshot and the main menu shows beautiful 3D.

I think that's good enough - the DX12 solution requires the user to do the same steps like he is used for DirectX 11 which means: run the config tool and set "Stereoscopic 3D" option to "On" for each game start. Although a start3d.exe for ROTTR would be still the non-plus ultra :D.

Update: I've just released 3DFM 1.82. If you like you can test whether ROTTR / SOTTR work for you in DirectX 12. Please read the info text shown in 3DFM for both of the profiles.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Nice, I just hit the Play 3D button in DX12 profile now and the game launches in 3d! Welcome to the jungle =)
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 pm Update: I've just released 3DFM 1.82. If you like you can test whether ROTTR / SOTTR work for you in DirectX 12. Please read the info text shown in 3DFM for both of the profiles.
Thanks Markus but :D
Unshare this version if you want. I downloaded and launched the latest version portable. both games while starting up caused the pc crash and restarted. :( :!: :o
This happened to me three times. I didn't want to damage my system by trying more.

The main problem is that you launch 3D and nvstview.exe very quickly while the game is starting. not everyone's computer is running at the same speed. That's why I wrote a script that runs slowly step by step. that's why I put a loading screen notification on the screen. If you want, review the Source code of launcher.exe again. (To understand the logic) Add reasonable waiting times to the code so that your method will work consistently on everyone's computers. Turning on 3d later can crash both games ... it is most logical to activate 3D when it's most stable. especially with RotTR this is even more important. Starting it when the producer is about to pass the screen reduces crashes.

After running nvstlink.exe, you should update the monitor HZ value for 3D again after a few seconds. because sometimes there is a bug caused by nvstlink.exe. screen can stay at 60hz (It happens to me often. therefore, the screen begins flashing ...) The errors have nothing to do with the "geforce experience". The method you prepared probably works with the right timing when you activate geforce experience. this is just a coincidence.

start3d.exe I prepared for Rise of the Tomb Raider is about to finish. I'm doing the final tests. I will share in the day ;)

sorry for "google translate"
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi Tim,

I've re-studied your code and a difference I see here is that you wait 5 seconds after the game window pops up while I only wait 2 seconds. I'll push that up to 5 seconds as well now.

Another thing is you have hard wait times in your code for enabling 3D - you assume that it takes a maximum of 8 seconds. 3DFM goes the other way - it waits until nvstlink.exe process has ended. Maybe although the process has terminated the work wasn't fully done yet?! I'll add a 2-3 second wait here now just to make sure 3D finished to enable.

Another difference is that I set refresh rate after enabling 3D. You do this before enabling 3D. Not sure if this causes any additional trouble on my code.

Btw I just did a quick test: I added a far too high 30 seconds wait before enabling 3D. So the game was still in 2D mode when it had finished loading to the main menu. Then after the 30 seconds were over 3D enabled and 3D kicked in perfectly - even at this late time! This use case shows: we can take our time and add some wait commands. The game needs roughly 20 seconds from game window popping up until loading to the main menu anyway (on a SSD).

Let me reupload the new version with the improved timings. Hopefully this won't crash your PC any more.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

@Tim: here is the new 3DFM version with improved timings for ROTTR and SOTTR:
http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/downloads/fix_manager_1.82_improved_timings.zip

Btw strangely when I click on the download link above the download does not start. I have to copy paste the URL in a new tab O.o. Is it the same for you? Only happens in Google Chrome for me. Edge works.

Btw2: Don't beat me if it keeps crashing your PC :D. But if it crashes your PC we know at least that the timing is not the problem here.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:16 am Btw strangely when I click on the download link above the download does not start. I have to copy paste the URL in a new tab O.o. Is it the same for you? Only happens in Google Chrome for me. Edge works.
me too.
Pauldusler wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:58 am Hi Tim,
Another thing is you have hard wait times in your code for enabling 3D - you assume that it takes a maximum of 8 seconds. 3DFM goes the other way - it waits until nvstlink.exe process has ended. Maybe although the process has terminated the work wasn't fully done yet?! I'll add a 2-3 second wait here now just to make sure 3D finished to enable.

Another difference is that I set refresh rate after enabling 3D. You do this before enabling 3D. Not sure if this causes any additional trouble on my code.

this time pc did not crash :D but 60hz problem persists.
I am using 60hz on the desktop. Normally when the game starts, my screen refresh rate changes automatically to 120hz. Normally I use 3dfixmanager without any problems.
problem cause nvstlink.exe

Code: Select all

Run, "%prog32%\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable    
Sleep, 8000  
Run, "%prog32%\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstview.exe" "leopard.jps"
everyone's monitor may be reacting at different speeds when switching to 3D. (It happens in 2 seconds for you, but it can happen in 5 seconds for me.hardware differences.) so i wait 8 seconds before running nvstview.exe (3d image). Otherwise, the bug occurs and pushes me back to 60hz, sometimes the desktop crashes.i need to log out on windows.
Last edited by TimFx7 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

So if I set my desktop to 120hz beforehand, everything works fine. In other words, if the user's desktop setting is 60hz, this timing problem occurs.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Rise of the Tomb Raider (start3d.exe)

I updated the file. now works in both ways.

-nolauncher : During the game, the 3DVision option is activated. (If it crashes while switching to 3D in the game, it can launch 3D directly from the Rise of the Tomb Raider launcher.)
Launcher : it automatically change the 3D value in the launcher menu.
I tried it with 3DFixmanager it works compatible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Start3D-ROTTR v1.2.7z
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Source code is available here. C++
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 am Rise of the Tomb Raider (start3d.exe)

I updated the file. now works in both ways.

-nolauncher : During the game, the 3DVision option is activated. (If it crashes while switching to 3D in the game, it can launch 3D directly from the Rise of the Tomb Raider launcher.)
Launcher : it automatically change the 3D value in the launcher menu.
I tried it with 3DFixmanager it works compatible.
Start3D-ROTTR v1.2.7z

Source code is available here. C++
Yeah absolutely no problem. I've just added the toggle to hide the additional text on "Play" tab for more advanced users (option is located in "Application Settings" tab). I really enjoy to see how community can work perfectly together: Tim, Lysander, me and maybe some other people I might not have noticed in this thread. Lysander has found a great fix for the crash, Tim developed a DX12 Stereo 3D hack + script, and I included their work in 3DFM and made it native .NET code. This is when comunity is in their best form.

So for example if Tim or Lysander would send me a feature request for 3DFM I'll probably implement - because here it's very well balanced - giving and taking.

I'd like to see more good teamwork here :). Unfortunately these things are very rare here in this forum!

@ Tim: here is the new version of 3DFM: it uses your start3d.exe for ROTTR. It works perfectly for me. I added some optimizations in 3DFM... hopefully it also works for you. It skips the launcher config tool for Rise of the Tomb Raider.. and also forces focus to the game. Because it seems the start3d.exe minimizes the game. Btw: I've replaced SetRes.exe with your Qres.Exe as I think yours is better. SetRex.exe would hang some seconds if you try do apply a resolution which is not supported by the display.
http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... Update.zip
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

I would gladly take part in this. But im currently only able to do some testing in HelixVision if it is necessary. (not at home and didn't bring my glasses along) Will DX12 work with 3d vision + HelixVision? I've tested the DX11 version of SOTTR and it worked ok. DX12 much better performance though. Would like to see if 3d Vision in the loop could get even better performance than its native SBS and Virtual Desktop. But i can honestly say it is the smoothest game play Ive experienced in VR so far with the current VD method and custom resolution. I'm having perfect frames at maximum resolution.

Let me know if you need some testing done for HV. I've noticed the updated profiles when I recently ran 3dFM to play Just Cause 3 on my monitor. I wanted to get more frames in my recording so that the video I plan to upload on YT have the highest quality. Something happened and the fix got broken. 3d does not want to activate?

When I originally got ROTTR I tried the community version made at launch after I've encountered the first broken effects. But it caused the game to go bonkers. It completely freaked me out when it got to a point that no even verifying game files wanted to fix the game to get back to its native 3d release. How is DX12 performance in ROTTR? I never noticed an advantage in performance with its native SBS and Dx12..? No matter what I try I cant get ROTTR to perform as good as SOTTR. I keep having micro stutter in VR. In SOTTR its almost completely gone. It would be great if DX12 could iron out the stuttering!
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
dricks
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dricks »

Hi,
using your fix i cant get i to work on my LG55C6V
I'm using the EDID override of the passive 4k Acer which works as i can activate 3DV with drivers 452.06 on Dx11, but in Dx12 SOTTR doesn't allow the 3DV, only SBS is allowed even using your fix.
As a passive monitor, it has to stay at 60hz, and i read your fix try to set 120hz
Is it because of that?
Is there a way to get it working with passive 3DV monitors ?
Thanks for your hard work and the sharing ;)
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

[Nevermind]
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

dricks wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:03 am Hi,
I'm using the EDID override of the passive 4k Acer which works as i can activate 3DV with drivers 452.06 on Dx11, but in Dx12 SOTTR doesn't allow the 3DV, only SBS is allowed even using your fix.
As a passive monitor, it has to stay at 60hz, and i read your fix try to set 120hz
Is it because of that?

Thanks
I had no idea of the monitors running the "3D vision" at 60hz. :roll: I thought 60hz users were always using SBS.

3DLauncher.7z
I made the necessary changes. I deleted the 120hz command. Try the new file I shared here. I would be glad if you tell me if it works. :)
Last edited by TimFx7 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Lizzard wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:36 am How is DX12 performance in ROTTR? I never noticed an advantage in performance with its native SBS and Dx12..? No matter what I try I cant get ROTTR to perform as good as SOTTR. I keep having micro stutter in VR. In SOTTR its almost completely gone. It would be great if DX12 could iron out the stuttering!
what exactly is your video card. SOTTR was the first dx12 game to be released, the developer said it would not work properly on every system. years ago I tried with gtx1080 and 1080ti (pascal gpu) on my system. It performed worse than DX11.on the same system now "Turing" gpu installed (1660 super). as if there is a serious improvement in the performance of the dx12 . but I am not sure. :roll:
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

No, RISE underperforms in dx12, it's not worth running it in dx12. Keep it in dx11. SHADOW is the one that benefits greatly from dx12 hence the effort here to get the dx12 path enabled for 3dv.

Pity shaders change so much from game to game running on the same engine, because as far ad I'm concerned, they could just keep using the SOTTR version of Crystal engine with all the 3d baked-in for future dx12 games, and all we'd have to do is use Tim's hack. But as evidenced by Avengers, it's not that simple :(
pj519
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pj519 »

Thank you for your great job.
I ran SOTTR with 3DFixManager in dx12 mode and it works perfectly. I noticed a significant increase in performance compared to the dx11.
Small note - first you need to run the game in dx11 mode and set convergence and separation to whatever you want, in dx12 mode it cannot be changed. Thanks to people like you, driven by passion and love for S3D technology, I think that 3DVision will survive these difficult times. Thank you once again.
Win 10 Home x64 ver 21H2 - Intel 5820K - RTX 2080 Ti - 32 GB Ram - Asus ROG 278QR - 3DVision 2 Kit - Driver NVidia 452.06
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm Yeah absolutely no problem. I've just added the toggle to hide the additional text on "Play" tab for more advanced users (option is located in "Application Settings" tab).
Great thanks, i would appreciate it if you also hide this headboard.
Ekran Alıntısı.JPG
Pauldusler wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm So for example if Tim or Lysander would send me a feature request for 3DFM I'll probably implement - because here it's very well balanced - giving and taking.
Speaking of that subject I have some ideas ready :D
viewtopic.php?p=175976#p175976

Pauldusler wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm I really enjoy to see how community can work perfectly together: Tim, Lysander, me and maybe some other people I might not have noticed in this thread. Lysander has found a great fix for the crash, Tim developed a DX12 Stereo 3D hack + script, and I included their work in 3DFM and made it native .NET code. This is when comunity is in their best form. I'd like to see more good teamwork here :). Unfortunately these things are very rare here in this forum!
Yes, when the community works together, great results come out. sometimes even sharing an idea can make a serious contribution. sometimes someone's feedback can enable many potential problems to be identified and resolved in advance. we are already a small community, everyone should help each other.

Pauldusler wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm here is the new version of 3DFM: it uses your start3d.exe for ROTTR. It works perfectly for me. I added some optimizations in 3DFM... hopefully it also works for you. It skips the launcher config tool for Rise of the Tomb Raider.. and also forces focus to the game. Because it seems the start3d.exe minimizes the game. Btw: I've replaced SetRes.exe with your Qres.Exe as I think yours is better. SetRex.exe would hang some seconds if you try do apply a resolution which is not supported by the display.
Yes it works with great harmony, glad but still 60hz problem persists.
So if I set my desktop to 120hz beforehand, everything works fine. In other words, if the user's desktop setting is 60hz, the 3Dvision screen refresh problem arises. Tomb Raider dx12 actually works in Borderless fullscreen mode. Therefore, desktop screen refresh speed is important.

• The screen refresh rate should be brought to the 3dvision refresh rate. (After doing this, waiting for 2 seconds will prevent the process sequences from mixing with each other on fast computers.)
• Should be turned off if 3D is on
• the game must be started
• 3D vision must be activated
• picture must be shown ...
Last edited by TimFx7 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 am
Lizzard wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:36 am How is DX12 performance in ROTTR? I never noticed an advantage in performance with its native SBS and Dx12..? No matter what I try I cant get ROTTR to perform as good as SOTTR. I keep having micro stutter in VR. In SOTTR its almost completely gone. It would be great if DX12 could iron out the stuttering!
what exactly is your video card. SOTTR was the first dx12 game to be released, the developer said it would not work properly on every system. years ago I tried with gtx1080 and 1080ti (pascal gpu) on my system. It performed worse than DX11.on the same system now "Turing" gpu installed (1660 super). as if there is a serious improvement in the performance of the dx12 . but I am not sure. :roll:
I tested in a CPU heavy spot in ROTTR. In DX 11 I got 55 fps while in DX 12 I got 68 per eye. Tested on I7 7700k, RTX 2080S. So it's worth playing in DirectX 12. Maybe if you run the game on a Ryzen 5900X the CPU bottleneck is gone in DX 11 mode.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

pj519 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:45 pm Thank you for your great job.
I ran SOTTR with 3DFixManager in dx12 mode and it works perfectly. I noticed a significant increase in performance compared to the dx11.
Small note - first you need to run the game in dx11 mode and set convergence and separation to whatever you want, in dx12 mode it cannot be changed. Thanks to people like you, driven by passion and love for S3D technology, I think that 3DVision will survive these difficult times. Thank you once again.
thank you so much my friend. we are already a small community, everyone should help each other.

Separation & Popout: Even if 3d is active in game, depth and convergence setting is not active in menu.
What you need to do to change these settings : In menu, Stereoscopic option "side by side" as a mark. Do not try to adjust with the mouse. Use the arrows on the keyboard. Then, mark and move Separation with arrows, 3D turns off automatically. When you switch to 2D, press Up arrow key on keyboard select Stereoscopic again as side by side. After that, you can move the sliders to your liking. To re-enable 3D, switch to Windows 10 TaskView with the Windows+Tab or Alt+Tab key. Click on the game window again, return to the game. 3D will be activated automatically. I showed you how it was done in video https://youtu.be/KbyEpQYwh1U?t=144
Last edited by TimFx7 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:04 pm
Yes it works with great harmony, glad but still 60hz problem persists.
So if I set my desktop to 120hz beforehand, everything works fine. In other words, if the user's desktop setting is 60hz, the 3Dvision screen refresh problem arises. Tomb Raider dx12 actually works in Borderless fullscreen mode. Therefore, desktop screen refresh speed is important.
This seems not true in general. I just tested this case and it still works for me. Although the game starts with 60 Hz at first it switches automatically to 120Hz as soon as the 3D Vision Photoviewer is loaded. Because the viewer forces the desktop to switch to 120hz. My best guess is that your photoviewer is somehow broken. You can force 120hz via display profile - set "desktop resolution 3D mode" to 2560x1440 @120hz. However I think I will add a general 120hz force on game start because with QRes.exe you can just pass the refresh rate only - SetRes.exe required me to also pass the resolution. Also it doesn't hang if trying to force 120hz hz on a 60hz device. Much better than SetRes.exe.

Btw I got some crashes today on game start in SOTTR and ROTTR - also black screens (I got them also osscionally before). When I switched the order to first set desktop refresh rate to 120hz and then enabling 3D the black screens were gone. Also SOTTR didn't crash any more.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

@Tim: Here is 3DFM 1.83 beta. Please check whether ROTTR / SOTTR work for you. I've added a general force for 120hz on the desktop in 3D mode now. Can be still overriden via display profiles though.
I've also included the new change notes for v.1.83.

http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... 3_beta.zip

Update: Forgot to say: I have added a focus switch to 3DFM after the photo viewer was shown. Sometimes the photoviewer didn't get focus for me. Also forcing focus to it didn't work. So I just added to focus 3DFM for 1 second and then switch back to the game. Makes double sure ROTTR / SOTTR start rendering in 3D if photo viewer wasn't succesfully in focus.

Merry Christmas!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm Separation & Popout: Even if 3d is active in game, depth and convergence setting is not active in menu.
What you need to do to change these settings : In menu, Stereoscopic option "side by side" as a mark. Do not try to adjust with the mouse. Use the arrows on the keyboard. Then, mark and move Separation with arrows, 3D turns off automatically. When you switch to 2D, press Up arrow key on keyboard select Stereoscopic again as side by side. After that, you can move the sliders to your liking. To re-enable 3D, switch to Windows 10 TaskView with the Windows+Tab or Alt+Tab key. Click on the game window again, return to the game. 3D will be activated automatically. I showed you how it was done in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=110&v=SMAHaIrfG
Ah thank you for that tip! I'll add this to the profile text in 3DFM!
dricks
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dricks »

TimFx7 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:46 am
Is it because of that?

Thanks
I had no idea of the monitors running the "3D vision" at 60hz. :roll: I thought 60hz users were always using SBS.

3DLauncher.7z

I made the necessary changes. I deleted the 120hz command. Try the new file I shared here. I would be glad if you tell me if it works. :)
Damn, still no luck, 3D doesn't trigger :(
The main difference between 3DV and SBS is that using 3DV, the game render at full resolution (well, half resolution vertically, but that's the way LG works with it) while SBS means half horizontal res (and half vertical res because of the passive "scanline" tech)
Thanks for trying ;)

Do you think that such trick could work for Dragon Age Inquisition?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:05 pm I tested in a CPU heavy spot in ROTTR. In DX 11 I got 55 fps while in DX 12 I got 68 per eye. Tested on I7 7700k, RTX 2080S. So it's worth playing in DirectX 12. Maybe if you run the game on a Ryzen 5900X the CPU bottleneck is gone in DX 11 mode.
I ran the tests a while back, yeah, I guess overall the DX12 path seems faster in RISE but there are a few exceptions. Perhaps I didn't remember it correctly or I was thinking of some other reports I thought said DX11 was faster. Here are my results:

Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmarks:
DX12:
Mountain: 58.83 avg (33.39 min, 72.32 max)
Syria: 59.98 avg (31.91 min, 77.81 max)
Valley: 54.73 avg (38.48 min, 72.13 max)
Overall: 57.86

DX11:
Mountain: 59.31 avg (42.78 min, 90.13 max)
Syria: 57.46 avg (25.89 min, 75.42 max)
Valley: 45.16 avg (25.67 min, 65.73 max)
Overall: 54.39
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

dricks wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 pm
Is it because of that?

Thanks

3DLauncher.7z

The main difference between 3DV and SBS is that using 3DV, the game render at full resolution (well, half resolution vertically, but that's the way LG works with it) while SBS means half horizontal res (and half vertical res because of the passive "scanline" tech)
Thanks for trying ;)

Try again, but this time when you see the game menu press ALT-TAB and go back to the game window. 3D must be triggered.

if it's still not working .You can try this to determine the problem :
steamapps\common\Shadow Of The Tomb Raider\leopard.jps
Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstview.exe start this program and drag and drop the file into it.
is this image displayed in 3D on your monitor? If the 3D image cannot be rendered, this is the real problem. then unfortunately there is nothing we can do.
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:02 pm Ah thank you for that tip! I'll add this to the profile text in 3DFM!
I typed the link wrong, this is the correct address
https://youtu.be/KbyEpQYwh1U?t=144
Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:02 pm This seems not true in general. I just tested this case and it still works for me. Although the game starts with 60 Hz at first it switches automatically to 120Hz as soon as the 3D Vision Photoviewer is loaded. Because the viewer forces the desktop to switch to 120hz. My best guess is that your photoviewer is somehow broken.
yes interesting maybe it is related to the windows version. When 3Dvision is activated on my system, if the desktop is 60Hz, Photoviewer does not trigger 120hz. It keeps showing 60hz.
Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:02 pm You can force 120hz via display profile - set "desktop resolution 3D mode" to 2560x1440 @120hz.
About : fix_manager_1.82_ROTTR_Patch
oh yes i tried it today. Enabling this feature works perfectly with Rise of the Tomb raider. But most people don't use this feature. (I was using it continuously for a period.)

Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:02 pm @Tim: Here is 3DFM 1.83 beta. Please check whether ROTTR / SOTTR work for you. I've added a general force for 120hz on the desktop in 3D mode now. Can be still overriden via display profiles though.
I've also included the new change notes for v.1.83.
http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... 3_beta.zip
in short, everything works great. this time everything worked smoothly and I share the details below. dude you are great.
Pauldusler wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:02 pm Update: Forgot to say: I have added a focus switch to 3DFM after the photo viewer was shown. Sometimes the photoviewer didn't get focus for me. Also forcing focus to it didn't work. So I just added to focus 3DFM for 1 second and then switch back to the game. Makes double sure ROTTR / SOTTR start rendering in 3D if photo viewer wasn't succesfully in focus.
yes I have seen similar problems in me. you thought well, it really works.

I've tested it over and over (about 30 times) in various scenarios, only once of these, "SORT.exe" crashed while starting the game.
I guess we are pushing the limits of the hardware when we test repeatedly. Strange errors are starting to happen in the tests, which have to restart or log out from time to time. (These errors were probably due to faulty conversions between GSYNC and 3D, which I have experienced before.)

Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

TimFx7 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 am

Thanks

3DLauncher.7z

Thanks for trying ;)

Try again, but this time when you see the game menu press ALT-TAB and go back to the game window. 3D must be triggered.

Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstview.exe start this program and drag and drop the file into it.
is this image displayed in 3D on your monitor? If the 3D image cannot be rendered, this is the real problem. then unfortunately there is nothing we can do.
Does passive 3D work at all when you run the game in DX 11 mode? ("Stereoscopic 3D" option set to "on" in launcher, not side by side).
dricks
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dricks »

Pauldusler wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:04 pm
TimFx7 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 am

Thanks for trying ;)

Does passive 3D work at all when you run the game in DX 11 mode? ("Stereoscopic 3D" option set to "on" in launcher, not side by side).
Yes, in Dx11 i can activate real 3DV (not SBS) with the green nvidia message about compatibility at the bottom right.
I can adjust popout and convergence in options

I tried ALT+TAB many times with no luck
I tried leopard.jps with nv viewer and it does work, the image is immediately shown in 3D

By manually launching the nvviewer with the leopard and then the game with your launcher, i can see the 3D image with ALT+TAB to desktop but when i ALT+TAB to game it's still 2D
By disabling exclusive fullscreen, the leopard can even been displayed 3D on top of SOTTR which still is 2D
Damn :(
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

dricks wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:33 pm Yes, in Dx11 i can activate real 3DV (not SBS) with the green nvidia message about compatibility at the bottom right.
I can adjust popout and convergence in options

I tried ALT+TAB many times with no luck
I tried leopard.jps with nv viewer and it does work, the image is immediately shown in 3D

By manually launching the nvviewer with the leopard and then the game with your launcher, i can see the 3D image with ALT+TAB to desktop but when i ALT+TAB to game it's still 2D
By disabling exclusive fullscreen, the leopard can even been displayed 3D on top of SOTTR which still is 2D
Damn :(
Because your monitor is passive,maybe the driver or maybe the game needs to be adjusted differently. Frankly, I have no experience in this matter.

I can only logically list what you should do: Don't use launcher.exe
• first turn off 3DVision from Nvidia control panel.
• start game as dx12 in windowed mode. (do not launch full screen.)
• As for the game main menu,
• start 3Dvision from nvidia control panel
• Run the start3d.exe file I prepared.
• start nvviewer with the leopard
• go back to the game window.

Normally, the game should switch to 3D in this order.
Atuin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Atuin »

Does this trick allow you to play any other dx12 titles and use CM or is that out of the question?
TimFx7
Cross Eyed!

Post by TimFx7 »

Atuin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:43 am Does this trick allow you to play any other dx12 titles and use CM or is that out of the question?
a special case for this game. ( this game has its own 3D rendering capability, independent of nvidia.)

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”