3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 3D Fix Manager - Application for installing 3D Vision Fixes

Post by Pauldusler »

schwing wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:32 pm     Nowadays it's just Steam. When I have Steam closed, nothing is using the 32-bit one. Who knows what apps users happen to have installed that would use it. The 64-bit one is used by SkypeApp.exe and Calculator.exe in my experience.

As for detecting 32-bit processes from a 64-bit process: calling a 32-bit console application with arguments shouldn't take too long. Just return a list of processes and close them in 3DFM.

Yeah that's what I had in mind :). At least when looping through the different processes I got a lot of exceptions when accessing Modules list of some processes. So I guess those who threw the exception are 32 bit processes?! I will look deeper in this today. After that only cosmetic things are to do like showing some error / warning messages - and also there were some feature requests in the past. I think first version should be ready to test here still this week. Final version maybe next week after I got a bit of feedback here. Also I have to create a lot of new game profiles... lot of new fixes available on HelixMod xD.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

When installing game fixes, 3DFM detects the version of the 3DMigoto DLL in the game fix, and if it's not the latest it offers to install the latest DLL over it. I'd like to request the removal of that feature, or at least set it as a button the user specifically has to seek out and not be automatically prompted for.

The reason being that 3DMigoto has gone through several refactors over the years and some of them have depreciated old features, so installing the new DLL over top of these older fixes will outright break them. Furthermore, I would argue that even in the cases where it doesn't break functionality, installing a newer DLL by itself without making any changes to the d3dx.ini file or any accompanying shader files will almost always serve absolutely 0 benefit to your average user (installing a newer version is not going to make an existing fix better), and for the very select few that might be able to tweak things to get the benefit out of it that it would be a trivial matter for them to just obtain and copy the latest version over themselves. Even further to that point (why I argue it's better for a complete removal than to leave as a more obscure option) is that your average person won't know all these things, and if they see an option to update the 3DMigoto DLL they will choose to do so because many will think, "Oooooh, new, shiny, updated, BETTER!!!"

Really, the only possible use case I can think of for this are for very old DX11 fixes that existed before the SbS/TaB features were implemented, but those are some of the candidates most likely to be broken by such a large jump in the DLL version. And even if it's not broken, without changing the d3dx.ini file it wouldn't work anyway.

As much as I've come to appreciate the tool over the years, I have to also say it's also become one of the reasons behind the general "3D IQ" of the community becoming significantly lower than before. There used to be a learning curve to 3D that was an initiation for people. Either learn the basics, or you don't play! But once the basics were learned generally it was smooth sailing. Nowadays I'd estimate roughly a good 25% of issues that people come into fix threads or leave comments on blog pages are because the installer didn't work properly for them and they don't know a thing about how to install a 3D fix themselves because they are so spoiled by the one click setup. Which is great in a sense... at least for the end user. But for the (very few left) shaderhackers that have to have to troubleshoot issues related to a program they rarely (if ever) have to use themselves (don't need a program to install fixes when you're the one that makes 'em!), rather than the fixes that we actually worked on, can be frustrating and tiresome, especially since to it's not always apparent that is the cause of the issue (the user never knows and doesn't tell us that they used 3DFM to install it, they just say "the fix doesn't work for me, so it must be broken and sucks, and you suck too for wasting my time installing your broken fix. Boo hoo.").

Anyway, that sounds like a whole lot of complaining (because it is! Boo hoo from me too :P), but I'm not mentioning it for the sake of complaining or to detract from how awesome this app really is! I know, respect, and appreciate that a lot of work went into this, and have found use in it myself from time to time. I'm just mentioning a side of the coin that I'm not sure that anyone but us shaderhackers experience (and I imagine bo3b too, since he kindly saves me from having to tell people to f*** off on a regular basis on the blog by actually calmly supporting them before I rip into them, but I digress), and just to add that little bit more weight to my earlier request (since, yes, this particular "feature" has caused another user incident for me that has cost me some more of my time and patience, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has done many times before). But, ummm, other than the semi-regular user headaches, great job, love your work, and I'll be sure to mention any further feature requests/removals I come across in the future.

Stay healthy and sane out there in this crazy world!
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

DJ-RK wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:47 pm When installing game fixes, 3DFM detects the version of the 3DMigoto DLL in the game fix, and if it's not the latest it offers to install the latest DLL over it. I'd like to request the removal of that feature, or at least set it as a button the user specifically has to seek out and not be automatically prompted for.

The reason being that 3DMigoto has gone through several refactors over the years and some of them have depreciated old features, so installing the new DLL over top of these older fixes will outright break them. Furthermore, I would argue that even in the cases where it doesn't break functionality, installing a newer DLL by itself without making any changes to the d3dx.ini file or any accompanying shader files will almost always serve absolutely 0 benefit to your average user (installing a newer version is not going to make an existing fix better), and for the very select few that might be able to tweak things to get the benefit out of it that it would be a trivial matter for them to just obtain and copy the latest version over themselves. Even further to that point (why I argue it's better for a complete removal than to leave as a more obscure option) is that your average person won't know all these things, and if they see an option to update the 3DMigoto DLL they will choose to do so because many will think, "Oooooh, new, shiny, updated, BETTER!!!"

Really, the only possible use case I can think of for this are for very old DX11 fixes that existed before the SbS/TaB features were implemented, but those are some of the candidates most likely to be broken by such a large jump in the DLL version. And even if it's not broken, without changing the d3dx.ini file it wouldn't work anyway.

As much as I've come to appreciate the tool over the years, I have to also say it's also become one of the reasons behind the general "3D IQ" of the community becoming significantly lower than before. There used to be a learning curve to 3D that was an initiation for people. Either learn the basics, or you don't play! But once the basics were learned generally it was smooth sailing. Nowadays I'd estimate roughly a good 25% of issues that people come into fix threads or leave comments on blog pages are because the installer didn't work properly for them and they don't know a thing about how to install a 3D fix themselves because they are so spoiled by the one click setup. Which is great in a sense... at least for the end user. But for the (very few left) shaderhackers that have to have to troubleshoot issues related to a program they rarely (if ever) have to use themselves (don't need a program to install fixes when you're the one that makes 'em!), rather than the fixes that we actually worked on, can be frustrating and tiresome, especially since to it's not always apparent that is the cause of the issue (the user never knows and doesn't tell us that they used 3DFM to install it, they just say "the fix doesn't work for me, so it must be broken and sucks, and you suck too for wasting my time installing your broken fix. Boo hoo.").

Anyway, that sounds like a whole lot of complaining (because it is! Boo hoo from me too :P), but I'm not mentioning it for the sake of complaining or to detract from how awesome this app really is! I know, respect, and appreciate that a lot of work went into this, and have found use in it myself from time to time. I'm just mentioning a side of the coin that I'm not sure that anyone but us shaderhackers experience (and I imagine bo3b too, since he kindly saves me from having to tell people to f*** off on a regular basis on the blog by actually calmly supporting them before I rip into them, but I digress), and just to add that little bit more weight to my earlier request (since, yes, this particular "feature" has caused another user incident for me that has cost me some more of my time and patience, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has done many times before). But, ummm, other than the semi-regular user headaches, great job, love your work, and I'll be sure to mention any further feature requests/removals I come across in the future.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Update to 3D Fix Manager:

I have added an undo-function to restore original Geforce driver state (= applies original nvwgf2um.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll files). Works flawless on my machine - let's see how it will react on other systems. So when enabling 3D the modded Geforce driver DLLs are applied and when disabling 3D the original ones are set active. To do this 3DFM just replaces the modded bytes of the DLL files with the original ones - the driver is automatically digitally signed then again. Easy Anti-Cheat will be quiet then - at least as long as you play in 2D mode.

I've also adjusted the driver download mechanism. The modified DLLs are integrated into the Geforce driver setup.... but now when rethinking this it seems to be a rather bad decision to do the driver hack directly on installation. People might get stuck on modded driver dlls as they don't know how to manually replace them with the original ones (unless re-installing the driver) and if 3DFM fails with its automatic functionalities we got the worst case here. So it's better to do the driver mod after installing the original Geforce drivers in my opinion. So if 3DFM is able to replace installed DLLs for 3D mode it will be definitely able to restore the original state for 2D mode. But let's see what people will think about the beta here.

I plan to release the beta on Friday or Saturday. I hope for some feedback here as the driver hack is pretty critical and should be tested enough before unleashing it to the "wide audience" ;)
Last edited by Pauldusler on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

DJ-RK wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:47 pm When installing game fixes, 3DFM detects the version of the 3DMigoto DLL in the game fix, and if it's not the latest it offers to install the latest DLL over it. I'd like to request the removal of that feature, or at least set it as a button the user specifically has to seek out and not be automatically prompted for.

Hi DJ-RK,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, 3DFM has a bright and a dark side: 3DFM opens 3D to a wider audience which is great for people who don't have the time, the will or the technical understanding how to set up 3D. This can decrease support requests for games which work great in 3DFM as they have been optimized and tested by me. For other games which haven't been set up correctly in 3DFM / not tested yet some people are immediately stuck as they completely don't know what to do now as they were nerver forced to learn how to set up 3D fixes manually. In latter case the service requests for shaderhackers might go up compared to the past where people had to do everything manually and learned how to fix issues by themself. However when people start saying "Your 3D fix sucks, I wasted my time installing it" I would treat those people like they wouldn't exist because they are just poison for the community. They are not respecting the work of others and can't even ask for help in a pleasant way. But of course when reading those comments it's hard keeping calm.

After reading your issues about people updating 3dmigoto which breaks the fix I want to investigate this further. I have tested a lot of games where I updated 3dmigoto and it never broke the fix (approximately 100-200 3dmigoto games). The only issue I encountered was the software mouse cursor. In the past 3DFM just overwrote the optimized file of shader hacks. These days the file is kept when updating 3dmigoto. So to finally decide whether to drop the update mechanism or not I would need some more information. For HelixVision the 3D fix is always updated without asking... Bo3b didn't complain about this yet. So I would be really interested to know some games where updating 3dmigoto definitely breaks 3D. Btw the update mechanism isn't just a simple DLL replaced - parts of d3dx.ini are replaced with newer syntax - e.g. the [include] tag. Use cases are indeed Side by side shader.. but often also software mouse cursor is required to make this work properly which was introduced later. Another use case is upscaling shader and driver profile manipulation via 3dmigoto. If it's worth updating 3dmigoto from a version where all these functions were already included to latest one I can't really say... probably not as I didn't notice any difference (said from a user side view - I'm not a shader hacker).

As said - first I have to understand the issue what goes wrong. Please provide some game titles where updating 3dmigoto breaks 3D.

@Losti: As you seem to confirm DJ-RK's issue please provide some samples, too where updating 3dmigoto breaks 3D. Btw concerning your request about Unreal Engine fixing I will still contact you... sorry I was in a real winter sleep the last months.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Hey Paul. Thanks for receiving my feedback, and your response.

Yeah, the "you suck" people are almost all on the blog, likely due to the anonymity provided there, and I usually am in agreement with you about the approach to them. My initial reaction is to be snarky, but about 5 seconds later I decide they aren't worth my time or headspace and don't bother. Then, like I said, bo3b plays the good samaritan and saves the day.

Anyway, the only time I've had someone specifically report that upgrading the 3DM DLL broke a fix was just yesterday here in another thread, saying that doing so for my Zombie Army Trilogy fix broke the stereo 3D crosshair. It just so happens that I was also recently going through many of the older 3DMigoto release notes to find notes on specific features that I need to use on the fix I'm working on (since we don't have a properly compiled wiki instead), so I was recently reminded of many of those changes that I referred to that became depreciated and would break, if not alter how older fixes used some of those features. So seeing that post in the ZAT thread made perfect sense, and why I felt it was a good idea to make this suggestion.

It is good (and impressive) to hear that you have gone to such lengths to individually customize many game installs yourself, as well as scripting the addition of necessary sections of the d3dx.ini file for the newer features. Also, one area I believe 3DFM does shine in is it's ability to manage display settings, and I didn't consider how the upscaling shader is likely to be crucial for a lot of people using 3DTV's via the EDID override. As such, I'll retract my statement about updating the DLL to be of zero benefit, and I'll leave the rest up to you to decide and respect your decision.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi guys,

sorry for the delay. So finally here is the beta of 3DFM 1.75 which brings back 3D Vision compatibility for Windows 10 v. 1903 or higher.

Update Beta 12:
Download Link: http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... Beta12.zip

Change Notes Beta 12:
  • Added menu item element to tray icon. With this you can toggle driver hack off / on
  • Added translations for the tray icon.

Change Notes Beta 11:
  • Synchronized 3D toggle in Nvidia Control Panel with 3DFM 's 3D toggle. So if you enable 3D via Nvidia Control Panel 3DFM automatically gets to know this and updates its own toggle.
  • Added a Menu Item for the tray icon where you can enable / disable 3D
  • Improved visuals of tray icon (orange icon for 2D mode + DLL hack active, blue icon for 3D mode + dll hack active)
  • DLL hack toggle is disabled when 2D mode is enabled and dll hack is not active. Prevents that the user plays around with the driver hack when it's not needed.

Change Notes Beta 10:
  • Replaced old tray icon with a new one indicating 2D and 3D mode. Also indicates whether the Geforce DLL hack is applied
  • Added a toggle in "Nvidia 3D Settings" where the WMR crashfix can be enabled. (Only needed if using a WMR headset)
  • When clicking on the close button the app gets nimized into info tray instead of being closed. (Same behaviour now like other apps these days). Dedicated old button has been removed.

Change Notes Beta 9:
  • Added toggle for enabling / disabling Geforce driver hack in the top right corner. This is much more present for the user there and he knows immedtiately if hack is on / off

Change Notes Beta 8:
  • Fixed adding admin rights to Geforce folder in Windows Driver Store for non-German systems. Fixed by identifying the user group via SID instead of using localized name

Change Notes Beta 7:
  • Added a button "Driver Store" in "Nvidia 3D Settings" tab. It opens Windows explorer and navigates to the Geforce driver in Windows Driver store. This should make it easier for manually checking if all rights were granted for the folder etc.

Change Notes Beta 6:
  • For applying / undoing Geforce driver modification no processes have to be killed any more!
  • Original driver dlls are kept untouched! Only a copy of them is modified
  • Improved undo-function of WMR crash fix by killing dwm.exe. This is faster than toggling off / on 3D
  • Added a checkbox in "Nvidia 3D Settings" tab where you can get rid of the warning messages shown when applying / undoing the Geforce driver modification

Change Notes Beta 5:
  • For the DCH warning a link to youtube was added which shows how to remove drivers with DDU in "safe mode"
  • Added a warning dialog when user tries to execute 3D Vision Setup Wizard with RivaTuner Stastics Server running + overlay enabled. This causes a crash ("Failed to release D3Dev")
  • Added dialog messages when toggling Geforce driver hack off /on manually
  • Added a new button in "Nvidia 3D Settings" where you can reasily download and install driver version 425.31. This is great for people who don't want to mass around with driver hacks for latest Geforce drivers.
  • Start procedure of games improved (added some missing checks if 3D is indeed successfully enabled etc.)

Change Notes Beta 4:
  • Improved Geforce DLL hack. Should be more reliable and faster now
  • When 3D Vision DLLs have a wrong version number this is fixed automatically now. For doing this the 3D Vision driver is just reinstalled as this is the most reliable and easiest way.
  • 3DFM can now query and set Nvidia driver profiles. Nvidia profile inspector is not necessarily needed any more.
  • Desktop Windows Manager profile is always correctly reset now (needs 3D toggle off / on to take effect which is done automatically of course)
  • Added a detailed warning message when user has DCH driver installed beyond version 425.31. He can easily go back to 425.31 if he doesn't like the increased loading time. (just 1 button click). Also he gets an instruction how to switch to "Default" drivers if he is willing to invest the time.
  • Removed driver hack on driver installation. This avoids confusing warning messages by Nvidia saying driver is not digitally signed
  • Geforce DLL hack is applied on game start in 3D mode and not any more when enabling 3D
  • Geforce DLL hack is reset when toggling off 3D, closing the application or starting a game in 2D mode
  • Improved and added error messages / info texts
  • Changed button from "Geforce Forum" to "MTBS3D". Let's don't support Nvidia's forum any more by not linking it any more in 3DFM.
  • Improved startup of the application (there was some strange hopping between 2 game profiles which could lead to show wrong info text / game icon)

Change Notes Beta 3:
  • Desktop Windows Manager profile is reset to default state as this prevents 3D from working in DX 9 and DX 12 windowed mode
  • Above fix also makes Nvidia 3D test application to work again as it is run in Borderless Windowed Mode.
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider in Dx12 also works again (with latest Steam version) due to the same fix above. Also Rise of the Tomb Raider should work again in DX12.
  • "Preferred RefreshRate" in Global Driver profile is reset to "Application controlled" which prevents the monitor to run in 144 hz in 3D mode

Change Notes Beta 2:
  • 32 Bit processes blocking nvwgf2um.dll should be killed as well now
  • Error messages were swapped when user canceled dll hack

How is 3D compatibility for DirectX 11 games brought back to Windows 10 v.1903 / 1909 using 3D Fix Manager?

This solution here is based on Schwing's Geforce driver hack (see his post here.) This means that the Nvidia Geforce driver is modified a little bit. More exactly: two DLL files (nvwgf2um.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll) which are part of the Geforce driver are involved into this process where a very short byte sequence is being replaced of them. By doing this little hack we get back full 3D Vision compatibility for Windows 10 v.1903 and later. The general issue implementing this is that by default we have no access rights for the DLL files and further more the files are blocked by other processes using those DLLs. For solving this 3D Fix Manager adds full access rights for admin user group to the specific folder where the Geforce driver is installed. After that it stops all processes using nvwgf2um.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll and finally applies the required modification to the DLLs.
The big drawback of modifying these DLLs however is that we lose the digital signature of the driver. Anti cheat protected games don't like this and will very likely prevent you from starting the individual game. In worst case your game might get banned. However with 3D Fix Manager you can revert the changes with 1 click and so have the digital signature back, too.

Another approach for installing the DLL hack via 3DFM is based on the solution of forum user Robert256 (see his post here). In this case the Geforce DLL hack is applied to the Geforce driver setup. This means 3D Fix Manager downloads the latest original Nvidia Geforce Driver and applies the hack directly to the extracted files of the driver setup. When installing the driver then we automatically get the DLL hack applied as well. So 3D Fix Manager offers two different ways to apply the dll hack - either on driver installation or afterwards.

Another thing important to mention is that the 3D Vision driver also needs a small modification if the installed Geforce driver is beyond version 425.31 which was the last official 3D supported driver. In this case the file version meta info of DLL files "nvSCPAPI.dll" and "nvSCPAPI64.dll" have to be updated for faking a version which matches the one of the currently installed Geforce driver. 3D Fix Manager uses the same approach as shaderhacker Losti who found out about this hack. This hack has to be applied no matter which version of Windows you are using (Windows 7 up to Windows 10 v.1909) so it's not specific to Windows 10 v.1903 / 1909.

Further details:
  • 3DFM offers an automatic download and installation for latest Geforce drivers. This feature was previously disabled for users of Windows 10 v. 1903 and higher as 3DFM just wasn't able to restore 3D functionalities for this case in the past.
  • Please be aware that playing an online game with modded Geforce driver DLLs can get your game account banned. I will add a warning about this yet before applying the hack.
  • When installing latest Geforce drivers via 3DFM the DLL hack is applied before running Geforce driver setup. This means that during setup you will get a warning message that the driver isn't digitally signed. Don't be frightened about this message and just click on "Install anyway"
  • 3DFM is able to also apply the driver hack after the original Geforce drivers have been installed. So feel free to install the original Geforce drivers manually without any help of 3DFM. Then when you start 3DFM and click on "Play 3D" / "Enable Stereo 3D" buttons it will install all missing components and hacks automatically.
  • 3DFM informs you about any missing driver components / hacks before applying them.
  • 3DFM saves a backup of the original Geforce driver DLLs (nvwgf2um.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll) in 3DFM subdirectoy: "Drivers\GeforceDllBackup"
  • In case of error please look for "error.txt" in 3DFM folder and post the error log here
  • When toggling 3D mode off Geforce driver DLLs are automatically restored to original state. This means that you can safely play anti cheat protected games in 2D mode where we don't need the Geforce driver hack. For restoring original or modded DLL state 3DFM has to close some processes. Please confirm the dialog box and wait a few seconds. If you see no error message then congratulations: the hack was applied successfully. When toggling back to 3D the Geforce driver hack is re-applied automatically. Also here a dialog warns you if a process is preventing from applying the DLL hack.
  • During automatic Geforce driver installation 3D Fix Manager might suddenly close (in 1 of 5 cases maybe). This happened for older versions of 3DFM, too. Not sure why this occurs (maybe because the app is 3D accelerated and doesn't like to be run during driver update) but it doesn't matter. Just restart 3DFM if this occurs. All missing dependencies for Stereo 3D are detected automatically anway.
  • I haven't completely tested with DCH drivers yet but it should work, too. Be aware that DCH drivers cause longer loading times for games / applications when Stereo 3D is enabled. I will add a warning message in next version informing if the user has DCH drivers installed. Users should be made aware that DCH drivers are not recommended for 3D Vision currently.
  • In next version I'll add a button where you can simply download and return to driver version 425.31 which is the last officially 3D supported Geforce driver. So everyone who does not want to apply driver hacks on Windows 10 has a reasonable alternative. Keep in mind that this won't work on the "Super" graphics card of RTX 2070 and 2080
In "Nvidia 3D Settings" tab you have a new option "Enable Geforce Driver fix (Windows 10 only). With this option you can manually enable / disable the DLL hack and separately test if it works for you. (See screenshot)
This feature is automatically disabled if you still use Windows 10 v.1809 or older versions.

Currently I'm not sure if applying the Geforce driver hack before running Geforce driver setup is a good idea as users might get frightened by the Nvidia warning message ("Driver not digitally signed")... Also they might get stuck on a modded Geforce driver dll when the new 3DFM feature fails for them. This means they cannot play Anti cheat protected games in 2D mode any more then ;).

Please leave some feedback whether the new driver hack-features work for you. Thank you!
Last edited by Pauldusler on Sat May 02, 2020 4:35 am, edited 51 times in total.
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tadpole »

Pauldusler wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am When toggling 3D mode off Geforce driver DLLs are automatically restored to original state.
Many many thanks for this feature!

Edit: just a quick feature request (if this hasn't been asked before), it is possible to have the system tray icon change to show whether 3dvision is currently toggled on or off?
Skawen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Skawen »

Thank You for this amazing upgrade :)

Will try in weekend how it works with EAC games in VR.
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Pauldusler wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am [*]When toggling 3D mode off Geforce driver DLLs are automatically restored to original state. This means that you can safely play anti cheat protected games in 2D mode where we don't need the Geforce driver hack.
Awesome !

I used BringBack3DVision and it was working very great.
But I wasn't able to play The Division 2 and some others EAC games anymore.

Your solution sounds like the perfect compromise.

I'm gonna try it now.
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

By curiosity, is it necessary to install "3D Controller Driver" in all cases ?
I don't have the pyramid, I don't have a 3D Monitor, all I have is a 4K 3DTV.

With the BringBack3DV, I didn't had the checkbox "3D Vision Controller Driver" during setup, and I only had the second setup for "3D Vision Driver" , and everything worked.

So I think the Controller Driver is not necessary for everyone (I'm probably not the only 3DTV-only user here).
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Ok. Your new version is very promising.

I'm on Windows 1903.
So I made a DDU (to be sure), then I installed the 445.87 Standard (not the DCH... btw which distribution do you recommend ?)

I haven't tried on my 3DTV yet, but on my 2D Monitor (using 3D Vision Discover) but I think it's good.
I will try on the 3DTV later in the evening.

Results of my tests :
- I see the 3D Zone in the driver panel (and it doesn't crash)
- Games launched in 3D (I tested Dead Space 2 for DX9, and Max Payne 3 for DX11)
- THE KILLER FEATURE: the DLL patch/unpatch when toggling 3D is working great :mrgreen: When I switch back to 2D I can run again protected EAC Games (in 2D of course) (tested on DBFighterZ)

--

I just had an error the very first time I run the patching step :
"An error occured while installing Geforce driver fix which is required for Windows 10 v. 1903 and higher."
But I think it's because Dropbox restarted too quickly.

--

Little suggestion : the tooltip visible around the 3D toggle "this is the same feature which can be also found in Nvidia Control Panel under Set up stereoscopic 3D".
Well, now it's more than that.
So I think the use of Nvidia Panel to toggle 3D has to be decouraged.

Thank you again for your work, Paul.
And I don't forget Schwing, Losti and Robert256 for your works and researchs on the driver.
You guys are all amazing.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

ZePRiNCE wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 am By curiosity, is it necessary to install "3D Controller Driver" in all cases ?
I don't have the pyramid, I don't have a 3D Monitor, all I have is a 4K 3DTV.

With the BringBack3DV, I didn't had the checkbox "3D Vision Controller Driver" during setup, and I only had the second setup for "3D Vision Driver" , and everything worked.

So I think the Controller Driver is not necessary for everyone (I'm probably not the only 3DTV-only user here).

Yeah if using just a 3DTV Play device the emitter is not required at all. I've chosen to install it for everyone as it was the easiest and most reliable solution at that time as it made sure 3D is working for everyone. However of course a perfect solution would be to ckeck first if the pyramid is plugged in and only install the missing driver then. Maybe I'll have a closer look at this again.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

ZePRiNCE wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 am Ok. Your new version is very promising.

I'm on Windows 1903.
So I made a DDU (to be sure), then I installed the 445.87 Standard (not the DCH... btw which distribution do you recommend ?)

I haven't tried on my 3DTV yet, but on my 2D Monitor (using 3D Vision Discover) but I think it's good.
I will try on the 3DTV later in the evening.

Results of my tests :
- I see the 3D Zone in the driver panel (and it doesn't crash)
- Games launched in 3D (I tested Dead Space 2 for DX9, and Max Payne 3 for DX11)
- THE KILLER FEATURE: the DLL patch/unpatch when toggling 3D is working great :mrgreen: When I switch back to 2D I can run again protected EAC Games (in 2D of course) (tested on DBFighterZ)

--

I just had an error the very first time I run the patching step :
"An error occured while installing Geforce driver fix which is required for Windows 10 v. 1903 and higher."
But I think it's because Dropbox restarted too quickly.

--

Little suggestion : the tooltip visible around the 3D toggle "this is the same feature which can be also found in Nvidia Control Panel under Set up stereoscopic 3D".
Well, now it's more than that.
So I think the use of Nvidia Panel to toggle 3D has to be decouraged.

Thank you again for your work, Paul.
And I don't forget Schwing, Losti and Robert256 for your works and researchs on the driver.
You guys are all amazing.
Thanks for testing and your feedback. Glad that applying / undoing driver hack works for you. In rare cases dll hack also fails for me. Some processes really don't like to be closed and restart themself at once soon they are dead. However after third kill those processes give up. That's the reason why 3DFM needs some seconds to apply the hack. The procedure for applying the hack is this one:

1.) Get all x86 and x64 processes blocking the DLLs.
2.) Kill them
3.) Recheck if they are really killed. If some processes are still running or have been restarted go to 1.) and try again
4.) Apply the DLL hack when no processes are blocking DLLs any more

3DFM shows an error message when DLL files could not be overwritten or when it has a exceeded the maximum number of 5 retries to kill the processes.

Haha concerning "this is the same feature which can be also found in Nvidia Control Panel under Set up stereoscopic 3D" yeah not really xD.

For exampling when toggling 3D this is also happening: (dependening on the settings you might have enabled in 3DFM):
  • change desktop resolution and refresh rate
  • set correct mode (3D Discover, 3D Vision, Reversed Line Interlacing (Optimized for Geforce), ...)
  • set depth hack
  • IR emitter mode (LAN, multi IR or Single)
  • Apply global driver profile (e.g. Force vsync on for 3D and G-Sync for 2D... etc.)
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

I have been testing your tool and it has worked "almost" perfectly.
The first thing to congratulate you on your ingenuity and capabilities.
I sincerely believe that today is the best tool available and the future of 3D ... (with the respective credits to Robert, Schwing and Losti).

The trick has worked perfectly for me and I've been able to play games with eac that I couldn't before and keep my 3d "almost" in perfect condition.
During my test I have made a couple of curious observations:
I use a bat to activate 3d and another to deactivate it in the registry, converted into icons as a switch on my desktop, (maybe you like the idea of ​​adding a direct access option to the switch in your tool) ...
The case is that having deactivated 3d with your switch (and considering that it also deactivates the modified dlls), the strangest thing is that I was able to enable 3d without them with my activation bat, surprising without a doubt. (The games continued working in 3D normally). Although the eac were still having problems, (this time with the nvapi).

I say that your tool is "almost" perfect, because I have encountered a couple of incidents: Most of the games I have tried, work perfectly in 3D.
But some things stopped working (things that worked this afternoon with the robert tool "bringback ..")
For example, the 3d test in the nvidia panel appears in 2D, and the panel's 3D installation wizard crashes, at the moment you would have to select what you see with each eye).
Final fantasy xiii and xiii-2 crashes, and final fantasy lightning returns works, but it is impossible for it to get into 3d with any of the profiles I tested. (as i said in bringback3d i was playing them this evening).

I make these observations to you, not as criticisms, but as tests that perhaps will serve you to improve the magnificent tool that you are developing.
Thank you very much to The 4 geniuses related to the return of 3D for everyone.
Regards. ;)
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Isaacvigo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 am I have been testing your tool and it has worked "almost" perfectly.
The first thing to congratulate you on your ingenuity and capabilities.
I sincerely believe that today is the best tool available and the future of 3D ... (with the respective credits to Robert, Schwing and Losti).

The trick has worked perfectly for me and I've been able to play games with eac that I couldn't before and keep my 3d "almost" in perfect condition.
During my test I have made a couple of curious observations:
I use a bat to activate 3d and another to deactivate it in the registry, converted into icons as a switch on my desktop, (maybe you like the idea of ​​adding a direct access option to the switch in your tool) ...
The case is that having deactivated 3d with your switch (and considering that it also deactivates the modified dlls), the strangest thing is that I was able to enable 3d without them with my activation bat, surprising without a doubt. (The games continued working in 3D normally). Although the eac were still having problems, (this time with the nvapi).

I say that your tool is "almost" perfect, because I have encountered a couple of incidents: Most of the games I have tried, work perfectly in 3D.
But some things stopped working (things that worked this afternoon with the robert tool "bringback ..")
For example, the 3d test in the nvidia panel appears in 2D, and the panel's 3D installation wizard crashes, at the moment you would have to select what you see with each eye).
Final fantasy xiii and xiii-2 crashes, and final fantasy lightning returns works, but it is impossible for it to get into 3d with any of the profiles I tested. (as i said in bringback3d i was playing them this evening).

I make these observations to you, not as criticisms, but as tests that perhaps will serve you to improve the magnificent tool that you are developing.
Thank you very much to The 4 geniuses related to the return of 3D for everyone.
Regards. ;)
Hi Isaacvigo,

thanks for your feedback! That's actually normal that you still can enable / disable 3D in Nvidia Control Panel or with a custom made .bat file although the DLL hack is not applied. When 3D still works you have probably tried DirectX 9 games only. This was also surprising for me that DX 9 still works pretty good without any Geforce DLL hack. But nearly all DX11 games are broken / crash etc.

Something very interesting you said is that the Nvidia 3D test worked for you with robert's bring back tool. I'll try from scratch today, wipe drivers with DDU and install freshly with Robert's tool. Maybe will also see if I can test one of the final fantasy game you mentioned.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

I've finally wiped the driver with DDU and installed the latest one with Robert's bring back-tool. Surprisingly the Nvidia 3D test application indeed worked again. Another very positive side effect: DirectX 9 games and 3d Screenshots also started working again in windowed mode. Previously these only worked in full screen mode. Then I started 3d fix manager toggled 3d off / on, ran the 3d test application and it was broken again. So I searched what goes wrong in 3DFM and finally found the issue. For helixvision bo3b and me added a crash fix for windows mixed reality headsets. Otherwise for these headsets 3d and vr couldn't be used at the same time and were mutually exclusive. We also added the fix for 3dfm users that everyone can benefit of it. However it turns out that this little fix for the driver profile "Desktop Windows Manager" causes the issue now on windows 10 v. 1903 / 1909 which means that Nvidia 3d test is broken and dx9 games don't work in windowed mode. To fix this I'll disable /revert the fix for win 10 1903 / 1909 3dfm users. Maybe this also introduced the issues mentioned for Final Fantasy games. I haven't tried those games yet.

@Isaacvigo: Again thank you very much for the feedback. This was extremly useful! I'll release beta 3 of 3DFM today which should fix the issues.
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

Thanks to you Paul.
I'm glad my tests help you ...
I think the fix for hmds is very useful too, maybe a switch button for which we also have Mixed reality.
Already put to make suggestions :) the option to create a direct access to the desktop of the 3D activation switch button seems to me that it would give a plus of luxury to your great application.
I reiterate that you seem to me a genius and I thank you immensely for your work for all of us.
I am very surprised how each of the 4 Wonders (swing, Losti, Robert and you), each one have gone one step further with the previous discovery of each of you

P.d.- I add an example to use as shortcut icons in each situation of the driver, in case you decide to do it, if it serves as inspiration:
example off .- https://www.hiclipart.com/free-transpar ... part-qmeta
example on .- https://www.hiclipart.com/free-transpar ... part-qmedp
example wrong? or other state u need .- https://www.hiclipart.com/free-transpar ... part-qmerx

Image Image Image

(I have made my own ones, but dont know how to share them... )
It is something simple, that I have been using for several years on my desk to activate and deactivate 3D, which has simplified my life a lot and I think it would be perfect for your tool, linked to the 3d on / off switch)
Curling the curl, a key combination ([ctrl + *] for example), would also be agile as a switch when 3df manager remains on tray.

Thanks again and sorry for my incontinence of ideas/suggestions. :oops:
Greetings
Last edited by Isaacvigo on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

Pauldusler wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:32 am I'll release beta 3 of 3DFM today which should fix the issues.
Hello! Where that beta release can be found to download? And thanks for your brilliant work!
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

They updated it in the post above.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

I've tested Beta 3 on my Win10 1909 and sadly 3d mode enabled and WMR+SteamVR can't be used at the same time. I have to roll back to Win10 1809? That's the only option for now?
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 pmAfter reading your issues about people updating 3dmigoto which breaks the fix I want to investigate this further. I have tested a lot of games where I updated 3dmigoto and it never broke the fix (approximately 100-200 3dmigoto games). The only issue I encountered was the software mouse cursor. In the past 3DFM just overwrote the optimized file of shader hacks. These days the file is kept when updating 3dmigoto. So to finally decide whether to drop the update mechanism or not I would need some more information. For HelixVision the 3D fix is always updated without asking... Bo3b didn't complain about this yet. So I would be really interested to know some games where updating 3dmigoto definitely breaks 3D. Btw the update mechanism isn't just a simple DLL replaced - parts of d3dx.ini are replaced with newer syntax - e.g. the [include] tag. Use cases are indeed Side by side shader.. but often also software mouse cursor is required to make this work properly which was introduced later. Another use case is upscaling shader and driver profile manipulation via 3dmigoto. If it's worth updating 3dmigoto from a version where all these functions were already included to latest one I can't really say... probably not as I didn't notice any difference (said from a user side view - I'm not a shader hacker).
Just to clarify here, I'm in agreement with DJ-RK. From a software reliability standpoint, it's better to not update software that was known working, because any changes made to the environment means that your QA/Testing is no longer accurate. On servers for example, it's considered bad form to allow any sort of automatic updates, because anything can break the server and cause an outage. That includes even security updates. This is one reason I hate Win10, all the forced random updates.

So as a general idea, it would be better to not offer an update to 3Dmigoto versions here, because the ShaderHacker who built the fix used a specific version for all of their testing, and an update to 3Dmigoto could easily cause bugs.

You are of course welcome to setup 3DFM however you feel works best. For HelixVision in specific though- I have it set to never update the 3Dmigoto files for this very reason. I don't want to get user reports that things are broken, on stuff I didn't test.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Pauldusler wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:32 amI've finally wiped the driver with DDU and installed the latest one with Robert's bring back-tool. Surprisingly the Nvidia 3D test application indeed worked again. Another very positive side effect: DirectX 9 games and 3d Screenshots also started working again in windowed mode. Previously these only worked in full screen mode. Then I started 3d fix manager toggled 3d off / on, ran the 3d test application and it was broken again. So I searched what goes wrong in 3DFM and finally found the issue. For helixvision bo3b and me added a crash fix for windows mixed reality headsets. Otherwise for these headsets 3d and vr couldn't be used at the same time and were mutually exclusive. We also added the fix for 3dfm users that everyone can benefit of it. However it turns out that this little fix for the driver profile "Desktop Windows Manager" causes the issue now on windows 10 v. 1903 / 1909 which means that Nvidia 3d test is broken and dx9 games don't work in windowed mode. To fix this I'll disable /revert the fix for win 10 1903 / 1909 3dfm users. Maybe this also introduced the issues mentioned for Final Fantasy games. I haven't tried those games yet.
Oh man, awesome find there! Great to know what has been causing the problem with the stereo test, and windowed mode.

Clearly we should not do this profile tweak for anyone without a WMR headset, and most likely even revert the flag if we don't detect WMR running.

In recent versions of HelixVision, I added this at launch, to try to avoid video driver crashes before a game is launched. So any launch of HelixVision will have added the flag, and not ever removed it.

ivan046 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm I've tested Beta 3 on my Win10 1909 and sadly 3d mode enabled and WMR+SteamVR can't be used at the same time. I have to roll back to Win10 1809? That's the only option for now?
If you run HelixVision, it will fix this for you. Not sure about 3DFM versions for this flag.

http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Dr ... 0x709d3ad2

You need to add that flag for dwm.exe process to avoid having it crash and kill the video driver when both 3D Vision and WMR are running at once.
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

bo3bber wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:07 pm http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Dr ... 0x709d3ad2

You need to add that flag for dwm.exe process to avoid having it crash and kill the video driver when both 3D Vision and WMR are running at once.
I've added that flag to Desktop Windows Manager profile but with no success: If I toggle Stereoscopic 3D mode and start a game it starts in SBS successfully. But If I start Windows Mixed Reality Portal app with 3D mode enabled (even with no game running) I get black screens for a few seconds every 2-3 seconds and VR fails to start - black WMR portal preview window and HMD off. And as soon as I toggle off 3D mode, the Windows Mixed Reality Portal app starts to work fine immediately (that can be done while it's running as 2 seconds between black screens is enough to click the 3D toggle witch in 3dFix or HelixVision)
Last edited by ivan046 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

dwm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

ivan046 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:00 pmdwm.png
Not sure if this helps in your case but in HelixVision the value ist set to 0x00000004 and not 0x00000008.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

bo3bber wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:07 pm Oh man, awesome find there! Great to know what has been causing the problem with the stereo test, and windowed mode.

Clearly we should not do this profile tweak for anyone without a WMR headset, and most likely even revert the flag if we don't detect WMR running.

In recent versions of HelixVision, I added this at launch, to try to avoid video driver crashes before a game is launched. So any launch of HelixVision will have added the flag, and not ever removed it.
Isaacvigo provided the essential impulses when he said that for him everything worked before he started 3DFM :D.
Currently in beta 3 I've added an undo function for the WMR fix. It's in a conditional compile section so for HelixVision the fix should be still active. I've pushed this and all other changes to a beta branch in Bitbucket.
How can we detect if WMR is running? Is it simply checking if a specific process is running? What is the name of the process?

Maybe I can also detect if the fix was already applied. NVAPI wrapper should be able to do so but I haven't tried yet. https://github.com/falahati/NvAPIWrapper

Btw I've recognized that just resetting value back to 0x00000000 does not immediately repair 3D for windowed mode. It only takes effect when toggling 3D from off to on. So after applying the undo function I would still have to add an automatic off / on trigger if 3D is already enabled.
Last edited by Pauldusler on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Pauldusler wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am Hi guys,

sorry for the delay. So finally here is the beta of 3DFM 1.75 which brings back 3D Vision compatibility for Windows 10 v. 1903 or higher.

Update Beta 3:
Download Link: http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... _Beta3.zip
Is this fix manager like all the other versions which means also made for Win 8.1 and 7 or is this beta version only specifically made for Win 10? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to fix this issue ---> viewtopic.php?f=105&t=24904&p=170100#p170100 and I thought I'd try this new Fix Manager & NV driver version to see if it helps...
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

spin1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:26 am
Is this fix manager like all the other versions which means also made for Win 8.1 and 7 or is this beta version only specifically made for Win 10? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to fix this issue ---> viewtopic.php?f=105&t=24904&p=170100#p170100 and I thought I'd try this new Fix Manager & NV driver version to see if it helps...
It's like the other versions - so Win 7 / 8.1 are still supported. Only specific procedures were added for Win 10 v. 1903 or higher.

The new beta might help you as it reverts the changes for the Desktop Windows Manager driver profile which makes DX 9 apps like the Stereo Picture Viewer, Nvidia 3D Test application and DX9 games render in 2D when not in fullscreen mode. Maybe this causes your issue.

Another option for you would be to try Power DVD 18/19 Ultimate. Worked best so far for me for viewing 3D videos in mkv format.

Edit: Sorry, I think 3DFM currently only reverts the changes for Desktop Windows Manager on Win 10 v. 1903 as only here I had encountered the 2D issue. But you can revert the change manually via Nvidia Profile Inspector and see if this helps you.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:34 amThe new beta might help you as it reverts the changes for the Desktop Windows Manager driver profile which makes DX 9 apps like the Stereo Picture Viewer, Nvidia 3D Test application and DX9 games render in 2D when not in fullscreen mode. Maybe this causes your issue.
I'm not sure about non-fullscreen mode but all my games (DX9 & DX11) work perfectly in 3D in fullscreen mode. Videos, on the other hand, do not display in 3D mode regardless of wether I play the video in full-screen or not. The monitor and emitter definitely go into 3D mode when the video plays (regardless wether full-screened or not) but the video player itself only plays the left (or right) side image. Never had an issue with the majority of videos before for years including MKV as well as MP4 H.264 AVC.
Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:34 am Another option for you would be to try Power DVD 18/19 Ultimate. Worked best so far for me for viewing 3D videos in mkv format.
The fact that this exact behaviour is suddenly happening in all video players (tried 3 different stereo vision players) leads me to believe it's got nothing to do with the video player itself and instead an issue somewhere else. Having said that, I'll give Power DVD a shot right now (if there's a free trial version available).

EDIT: Just tried PowerDVD 20 Essential free trial (I don't see an "Ultimate" on their site). The video doesn't attempt to play in 3D at all; it's playing in side-by-side (left & right) mode). I don't know if it's just because I'm using the trial or what but there seems to be a severe lack of settings/options in the PowerDVD program. There's nothing mentioning stereo or 3D, side-by-side mode, etc. etc. In fact, I barely see any other settings in general. The "settings" section is quite sparse.
Last edited by spin1 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

When I remember correctly Nvidia broke the 3D Vision Video player a year ago - only the original Stereoscopic Player still worked. Don't know if this is still true as I haven't used both of them for a long time. I will try later and report then.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

I've been using the Stereoscopic player from 3dtv.at and then use the license file that comes from the official Nvidia 3D Vision Player install. I've definitely used it within the past few months.

P.S. With every other stereoscopic player, my monitor and emitter at-least go into 3D mode (even though the player only plays either the left or right image). With PowerDVD Essential 20 though, my monitor and emitter don't go into 3D mode at all and the video plays in side-by-side (right and left image beside eachother) mode.

Further Update:
I set the Nvidia Control Panel to 3D Vision Discover then tried the videos and they play properly - meaning the left and right image are on top of eachother - but when setting NVCP to 3D Vision mode then the videos only play 1 image (either left or right) when playing in 3D mode.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

spin1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 am I've been using the Stereoscopic player from 3dtv.at and then use the license file that comes from the official Nvidia 3D Vision Player install. I've definitely used it within the past few months.

P.S. With every other stereoscopic player, my monitor and emitter at-least go into 3D mode (even though the player only plays either the left or right image). With PowerDVD Essential 20 though, my monitor and emitter don't go into 3D mode at all and the video plays in side-by-side (right and left image beside eachother) mode.
Only the buy-version of PowerDVD supports 3D / VR (Ultimate, Ultra) as far as i know.
When looking at the Cyberlink website (https://de.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_US.html) I'm not sure if 3D is still supported in Power DVD 20. At least in power DVD 18 / 19 Ultimate it definitely was supported. I'll check this today as I'm curious if they dropped 3D support and still want 100€ for their product ^^.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

PROBLEM IDENTIFIED & RESOLVED

When NOT using the Nvidia 3D Vision Player license file, the videos work perfectly. When I replace the Stereoscopic Player's unregistered license file with the NV 3D Player's license file, the issue presents itself.

The AVC/MVC Decoder portion of Stereoscopic Player has a 30-day free trial limit.

I guess if I find an older version of the NV 3D Video Player then that version's license file will probably work fine (like they always did). Maybe I'm using a newer license file from when Nvidia "broke" 3D Vision Player...I'll grab an old version of the NV 3DV Player license file and apply that and I'm guessing that should work.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

spin1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:17 am PROBLEM IDENTIFIED & RESOLVED

When NOT using the Nvidia 3D Vision Player license file, the videos work perfectly. When I replace the Stereoscopic Player's unregistered license file with the NV 3D Player's license file, the issue presents itself.

The AVC/MVC Decoder portion of Stereoscopic Player has a 30-day free trial limit.

I guess if I find an older version of the NV 3D Video Player then that version's license file will probably work fine (like they always did). Maybe I'm using a newer license file from when Nvidia "broke" 3D Vision Player...I'll grab an old version of the NV 3DV Player license file and apply that and I'm guessing that should work.
Nice finding. Sounds reasonable that the latest version of Sterosopic Player does not work with the old Nvidia license as the manufacturer actually wants to have 50€ for their software which is still actively developed (last update was November 2019). If everyone would get it for free by just using the Nvidia license they would not get any money any more.

I just tested the Nvidia 3D Video Player version and it works although I really don't like that software :P.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:50 am
spin1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:17 am PROBLEM IDENTIFIED & RESOLVED

Nice finding. Sounds reasonable that the current version of Sterosopic Player does not work with the old Nvidia license as the manufacturer actually wants to have 50€ for their software which is still actively developed (at least last update was November 2019). If everyone would get it for free by just using the Nvidia license they would not get any money any more.

I just tested the Nvidia 3D Video Player version and it works although I really don't like that software :P.
I did some further tests and got the Stereoscopic Player to fully work while unregistered like before. If you use an older license file like from the Nvidia 3D Vision Player v1.7.5 here -> https://codecpack.co/download/NVIDIA-3D ... layer.html or probably also v1.7.2 here -> https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5454 ... layer.html then everything works again: 3D Vision videos + registered Stereoscopic Player. It's only when using the newer license file, like from Nvidia 3D Vision Player v2.50 or v2.4.3 (I tried both), does the problem return.

Either Nvidia made the new license file so that it purposely breaks the 3D Vision Player (both, Nvidia's 3D Vision-included version and the original Stereoscopic Player) or the original Stereoscopic Player people didn't want NV3D customers to be able to freely use their player anymore (both, Nvidia's 3D Vision-included version and the original Stereoscopic Player) so they programmed the player to "break" when using the NV license file. All I know is that using the older license file works seemingly perfect with the newest version of Stereoscopic Player (v2.5.1).

It may have been more Nvidia than the Stereoscopic Player people because if it was the Stereoscopic Player people then I would have thought Nvidia's new license file would result in the Stereoscopic Player being unregistered rather than registered but "broken"? Also, if it was the Stereoscopic Player people then I would have thought they'd program the player so all licenses wouldn't work rather than just newer ones; I'm just speculating. I guess it doesn't matter since we have a resolution :)
ivan046
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ivan046 »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:51 am Not sure if this helps in your case but in HelixVision the value ist set to 0x00000004 and not 0x00000008.
I've set the value to 0x00000004 and now I have no black screen and Windows Mixer Reality portal works fine with 3D mode trigger on. But SteamVR still shows 301 error
vrfail.png
and directs you to the troubleshooting page that says "remove conflicting software and drivers". Tried on releases and beta steam channels of that software.
I've also noticed that SteamVR changes its behaviour with those changes applied - it doesn't automatically start WMR portal.
Maybe some changes need to be applied to SteamVR and its "WMR for SteamVR" app, too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Any way to make this a sticky topic (it really should not leave main page)?
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Skawen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Skawen »

Yesterday tested Your beta 3 on new PC & installation was smooth. And I liked that it now tells what must be installed. Tested with Little Nightmares & Nvida test app & 3d was great as always.

Thank You Pauldusler very much for continuous upgrading this amazing App.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Skawen wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:51 pm Yesterday tested Your beta 3 on new PC & installation was smooth. And I liked that it now tells what must be installed. Tested with Little Nightmares & Nvida test app & 3d was great as always.

Thank You Pauldusler very much for continuous upgrading this amazing App.
Thanks for testing!

I just released Beta 4 which brings some improvements.

As not many users post their results here (I already expected this as not many people pay attention to this forum) I will just release the new 3DFM version officially soon. So let's do like big companies handle it. Let the customers test the software :P.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”