Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Post by Pingles »

You're right. In fact I'd say I doubt this deal will go away.

It's more for folks who hadn't gotten around to buying Pro. I had already budgeted $1500. Any discount at all is a bonus.

In fact, after this goes through I feel obligated to throw Korda a few bucks.

EDIT: reworded
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

Unity pro goes on sale a few times a year, down to around $1,100 I believe.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Aabel wrote:Unity pro goes on sale a few times a year, down to around $1,100 I believe.
Uh...okay, that is a shocker. Hmmm.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

Booya! :woot

"The goal of this project is to create a virtual reality workshop where users can build things using virtual versions of real-life tools and materials. The program should track hand and finger movements in order to allow the user to manipulate objects in a fairly natural way. "
"Bounty: US $761.23"
- http://www.fossfactory.org/project/p99

And there is https://www.bountysource.com/# , which seems to have the most potential,
and then http://www.freedomsponsors.org/ and https://bountyoss.com/ .

I'm going to annoy a lot of people about this stuff now... >_>
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

I'm going to hop on the wait and see bandwagon of waiting until the end of the 4 month trial to see if I want to fork out the cash for the full version as it would be a significant part of my yearly personal budget. I've also seen a few rumors that look like Unity might be considering adding dll support to the free version so we might have more concrete evidence in August.
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

Skylead wrote:I've also seen a few rumors that look like Unity might be considering adding dll support to the free version so we might have more concrete evidence in August.
having used and been around unity for years, I would highly doubt that being true, as it's one of the primary reasons and selling points for the pro version. but if it did have any merit, you wouldn't hear anything until Unite13 most likely, which is the last week in August.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
daveo2013
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daveo2013 »

nanicoar wrote:For the people who don't need to start now, holding off for something better may be viable. IMO even 10% off on $1500 (plus $1500 for iOS, plus $1500 for Android...) is not worth being pressured into a deal just because it will expire soon.
Can you elaborate on that please? Being able to develop some Android/iOS apps on the side is one of the selling points for me - I didn't realize the Pro trial I've been using includes features that are going to be extra on top of the $1500... The full thing is four and a half grand? :cry:
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

daveo2013 wrote:
Can you elaborate on that please? Being able to develop some Android/iOS apps on the side is one of the selling points for me - I didn't realize the Pro trial I've been using includes features that are going to be extra on top of the $1500... The full thing is four and a half grand? :cry:

Not much to elaborate on, go here and price out what you want https://store.unity3d.com/

I'd ignore android personally, piracy is rampant on that platform, recovering costs let alone making money is a real PITA.
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

daveo2013 wrote:
nanicoar wrote:For the people who don't need to start now, holding off for something better may be viable. IMO even 10% off on $1500 (plus $1500 for iOS, plus $1500 for Android...) is not worth being pressured into a deal just because it will expire soon.
Probably best to check Unity's page for this. Being able to build for Android/iOS is like 400 (Basic) or 1500 (Pro) each. I got Basic Android/iOS free for 3.5 awhile back when Unity was giving it out in 2011 November... basically has a Unity loading screen in the beginning and lacks some streaming features, shadows etc... In order to even get Pro for android, you need a $1500 pro license in the first place, so yeah it's pretty weird.

You don't get any iOS or Android functionality with Unity free or Pro. You need to buy them seperately.
Aabel wrote:I'd ignore android personally, piracy is rampant on that platform, recovering costs let alone making money is a real PITA.
I think it's a great learning experience if that's what they want to do. Using the free iOS/Android handout Unity gave a long time ago, I published a game that took 2 days to develop, and it makes $100 a month on ads, despite getting extremely low ratings.

That being said, if you want to make easy Android or iOS games, that aren't 3D, I would recommend using CoronaSDK starter (FREE). It's the best thing for any beginner to start game design, state machines, the list goes on. Uses LUA for programming and has everything you'll ever need for a 2D game.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

Yeah I posted hastily, I should elaborate that I think it would be best to target iOS first, then Android. Reading the sales stats that people report between the two platforms is extremely depressing.

And nice work on making the freebie android/iOS work for you so well!
daveo2013
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daveo2013 »

Aabel wrote:
daveo2013 wrote:

Not much to elaborate on, go here and price out what you want https://store.unity3d.com/

I'd ignore android personally, piracy is rampant on that platform, recovering costs let alone making money is a real PITA.
Yeah, sorry, I should have read deeper... I'm just a bit shocked after using the pro trial to find out that after I shell out $1500 on pro some of the features I've been using will be disabled. OTOH given that I work alone and have pretty limited time I have basically no chance of targetting PC, android and IOS at the same time without something like unity and looked at like that the asking price maybe isn't so steep... It only has to save you X hours of effort once. But the android builds I've tried have been slow, and without deferred lighting or rt shadows they look rubbish, and I'd be concerned that when they fix it, they'll pull an adobe, call it Unity 5 and charge me again. Whichever way I look at it, I'll need to do a lot more reasearch into the alternatives and try to somehow guess some projected income to see how long it'd take to pay for itself.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

Your concerns are justified, whenever there is a Unity upgrade there is a mountain of sticker shock related posts on the forums from mobile developers.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Pingles wrote:You're right. In fact I'd say I doubt this deal will go away.

It's more for folks who hadn't gotten around to buying Pro. I had already budgeted $1500. Any discount at all is a bonus.
That's how I was looking at it too.
Pingles wrote: In fact, after this goes through I feel obligated to throw Korda a few bucks.
That really isn't necessary, I'm just happy to be saving some money.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Aabel wrote: I'd ignore android personally, piracy is rampant on that platform, recovering costs let alone making money is a real PITA.
I've had much more success making money on Android than iOS. Are you making this on pure speculation or do you actually develop for both of these?
Quant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Quant »

i'd also be interested. On a side note, considering that we get 4 month trial as oculus backers doesn't it make sense to see if unity is going to provide discounts to upgrade after this 4 month trial for oculus rift backers en masse? Just a thought.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Quant wrote:i'd also be interested. On a side note, considering that we get 4 month trial as oculus backers doesn't it make sense to see if unity is going to provide discounts to upgrade after this 4 month trial for oculus rift backers en masse? Just a thought.
I had thought about that and it's definitely a possibility. I personally don't want to wait that long to find out though.
steve93138
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by steve93138 »

I replied over at developer.oculusvr.com but I would love to get the 10% discount, not the 5%... Be good if we could get the 10 people. I was contemplating waiting for the 4 month trial that we are supposed to get but I was already planning on getting Unity 4 Pro anyway... I'm just starting a project and would be going with forward rendering for various reasons and see that there is a skybox fix so as far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to not just jump in right now.

Having said that, somebody else mentioned here that Unity PRO sometimes goes on sale for like $1100 or something. How often does that really happen and when was the last sale?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

steve93138 wrote:Having said that, somebody else mentioned here that Unity PRO sometimes goes on sale for like $1100 or something. How often does that really happen and when was the last sale?
I googled it and found no sales or price drops. I am no master Googler so you could try yourself.

But I think I'm good with this discount.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Hi everyone,
I have just sent out a bunch of pms to people on this thread who have indicated interest in a discount but haven't yet contacted me, if you are one of them could you please get back to me as soon as possible as I intend on contacting Alex again soon to discuss how we move forward from here. Likewise if you have previously pm-ed me and would now like to back out for whatever reason could you please let me know as soon as possible too.

Thanks,
Matt
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I just can't afford the deal atm, unfortunately have a few other things calling for funds. If it was a bit closer to the student price (say, $1000 or under), then it would probably be harder to resist.
I'll probably be kicking myself in 8 months when my free Pro trials will run out :(
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Hi,

Quick update we just got enough people on board for the 10% discount (15% with addendum). Thanks guys/gals!
I intend on sending an email to Alex later today to find out how we proceed from here.

-Matt
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Good one, nice work organizing it all Korda!
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

well if all you guys are gonna buy it then feel free to give me your 4 month pro trial codes as you wont be needing them ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Korda wrote:Hi,

Quick update we just got enough people on board for the 10% discount (15% with addendum). Thanks guys/gals!
I intend on sending an email to Alex later today to find out how we proceed from here.

-Matt
Fantastic!
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Another quick update. It turns out the Branding Addendum is not available for us which is a bit disappointing but we are still eligible for the 10% discount.
If you are still interested but haven't yet contacted me please do so because I am planning on wrapping this up soon.

-Matt
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Any word? Just finished an environment and dying to step in.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

I am still waiting on a few people to get back to me. I will give them till the end of the week and then assume they are no longer interested.
daveo2013
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daveo2013 »

Korda has now dropped out, leaving us one short of the 10 we need to get the discount. I've spoken to the sales person myself and there's no time pressure associated with this offer - any time we can get 10 people together for a group buy, we'll be offered a 10% discount. I move that we wait until our four month Rift trials are out, then get back together and see if we can make 10. Although I guess all our trials will start at different times, we should be able to eek out a few weeks of trials here and there to come together some time around October IMO.

My reasons for that being my preference are: The discount isn't that amazing, 10% discounts seem to be available through various vouchers and schemes, but still enough to be worth pursuing when the time is right. Also we don't know yet how other game engines will respond, or how Unity will step up e.g. to meet the demands we may start making on the rendering pipeline to improve latency and so I'd like to wait and see. Having said that, I won't leave 9 other people in the lurch if you all want to go ahead - I'm likely to buy it anyway before Unity 5 comes out, so I'm easy really.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Thanks Dave I probably should have mentioned it here too.
I should also point out that the organizers of the Ludum Dare are also offering a 10% discount all you need to do is register with their site and sign up for the offer.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I decided to drop out of the 5% and wait to find a bigger discount. Just started in on UDK while I'm waiting so I could see the grass on the other side of the fence.

The Ludum Dare deal looks good, though:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/04/ ... -for-ld26/

It's 10% off for individuals (not studios).
steve93138
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by steve93138 »

Pingles wrote:I decided to drop out of the 5% and wait to find a bigger discount. Just started in on UDK while I'm waiting so I could see the grass on the other side of the fence.

The Ludum Dare deal looks good, though:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/04/ ... -for-ld26/

It's 10% off for individuals (not studios).
I signed up as well but have not heard anything from Ludum Dare yet...

Have you or anyone else received any additional information about getting the discount?
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I signed up for the ludum dare thing too, but have not heard back
The form did say " We will be touch shortly after Ludum Dare 26." This could mean after the voting is done, or maybe it is after the competition and they just haven't gotten to us. The trial is good till the 28th, so I'm not too worried about it.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Sorry, I moved to UDK.
steve93138
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by steve93138 »

Cool... I just got a request from them asking for my country of origin. Looks like this will be a 10% discount! :D
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

I'm on UDK now too. That $1000 is a real barrier. Especially for hobbyists. I understand that they need to make money when adding new features and I would gladly pay something like $50-$100 for a rift plug-in for Unity Free.

Return to “Oculus VR”