First Impressions From Rift Owners

Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Re: First Impressions From Rift Owners

Post by Unclebob »

Opps scratch the IPAD MINI 2

4:3 aspect ratio... bummer a retina like display would have been awesome.

So come on LG

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Parallaxis wrote: How do you know no one is making such a panel? I know nobody is selling it right now.

Anyway - I bet that Oculus will be partnering up with a panel maker such as LG, Samsung or Sharp to use one of their panels and probably with some degree of customization to it. If the customer version of the Rift will sell a million or more, it will be a very good investment for a panel maker. I will be very very surprised if they have not been contacted by one or more of the panel makers already and they have invested a chunk in Oculus VR.

A 2560x1440 panel would fantastic, but I guess that it is more likely to be a 1080p panel in the 1. consumer revision.
http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-displays-ces-146326/

LG 1920 panel ....

UB
UB

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Retina schmetina. Lets stick to PPI
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

GeraldT wrote:
hughJ wrote:
Omarzuqo wrote:I wonder how much of a hazard would that be for epileptic people.
If 85hz CRTs didn't cause people issues, I doubt 120hz Lightboost LCDs will. I got one of these last week (VG248QE) that support 120hz w/ lightboost and it's miraculous. I can finally toss my old 19" trinitron that I was keeping in storage. The picture quality isn't great, but doing anything that involves motion, whether it be gaming or dragging something across your desktop is a night and day difference.
I find that very interesting - I just sold my 120Hz Monitor because I was never happy with picture quality and aside from 3D (which was awesome) I had little use for it. The buyer was like "wow - just looking at the mouse cursor in 120Hz is impressive, I have never seen something like that". I went back to a very old Samsung SyncMaster 242MP (it's the oldest monitor I own), it must be a very slow display - feels the same to me.

I had the same experience when I exchanged my old Sony CRT projector for a DLP, some friends were complaining about how I could stand that microstutter while I hardly could make out the difference. I do notice screendoors stronger than most though, so I am not really looking forward to that and hope I can blur them out somehow.

What I am curious about is how my slow eyes will affect my experience with the Rift.
You have a higher level of glucose secretion to your rods and cones than most, it seems. The stutter comes from the persistence effect of the given eye. The higher the glucose secretion to the rod/cone the longer the period of time the signal is sent to the brain.

To help with a visualization, The rods and cones act like balloons that are always being filled via glucose secretion, and then being vented when they intercept a photon of light. The photonic interaction causes them to fire a signal down their individual neural path, and they use up some glucose in that act. The more glucose available to the cone the longer the signal duration is. It is a simple 'just in time delivery' of glucose -system.

People with a lower level of glucose secretion to the rods and cones via tiredness (physical exhaustion) or natural genetic design, they will have different perceptions and sensitivities. This difference by genetic design tends to dictate preferences in how a given person wants an image to appear. A combination of tastes and learning, due to one's own genetic design. When very very tired and blood sugar is lower, and metabolism is slowed, one will note a greater stutter effect and general lessening of capacity to visualize things. This is not just tiredness, it is a lack of capacity to see and to decode. Shut it off. Go to sleep. Eat, rest, and so on. Don't allow it to get that bad, it is unhealthy. :)

The above is not exactly how it works, bu it is enough to get the general idea.
Last edited by KBK on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Namielus wrote:Retina schmetina. Lets stick to PPI
Yup hate marketing made up bumf...

LG does seem to be the only option in the near future though if you are thinking of retro fitting a dev kit

UB
UB

sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

I can't get the head tracking to work in any software :( The official reporting issues forum is @ https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=34
Seems like at least two other people have the same problem.

I also can't keep the headset on for more than one minute without getting quasey. Even after setting it up in TF2. How are you supposed to test each eye? I can't close right eye so I had to put a piece of paper blocking the view during the setup.

During the test they should black out the other eye so you can keep it open.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Unclebob wrote:
Parallaxis wrote: How do you know no one is making such a panel? I know nobody is selling it right now.

Anyway - I bet that Oculus will be partnering up with a panel maker such as LG, Samsung or Sharp to use one of their panels and probably with some degree of customization to it. If the customer version of the Rift will sell a million or more, it will be a very good investment for a panel maker. I will be very very surprised if they have not been contacted by one or more of the panel makers already and they have invested a chunk in Oculus VR.

A 2560x1440 panel would fantastic, but I guess that it is more likely to be a 1080p panel in the 1. consumer revision.
http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-displays-ces-146326/

LG 1920 panel ....

UB
5.5" 1080p. That would be a perfect fit. But it's probably made with mobile phones in mind and that seems to imply poor refresh rate and latency. But if LG would make some customization it could change that.

The thing about mobile phone displays is that they are very light and has a very narrow bezel. This would make the Rift much more comfortable and make the options for exterior design much more open. That display could probably shave 100 grams of the weight right there and be placed closer to the face for at better weight distribution. The Rift would probably feel like half the weight of the developer version.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Moriarty
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moriarty »

I'm still hoping that the new Nexus 7 will be a perfect match for the Rift DevKit but there are a lot of "ifs". The current Nexus 7 has a 7 inch Hydis display (same manufacturer as the 5.6 inch Rift screen) and according to the iFixit teardown it has a LVDS interface. If the new one has a similar configuration but with the rumored 1080p resolution it would be great an we could see a 1080p DevKit by June. But Murphy's law will probably make it that this display will be perfect in every way but have a Mipi interface or something else that makes it impossible to use it for the Rift. :lol: When the Rift was still a DIY project Palmer talked about providing easy upgrade options but I think Oculus might have other priorities now :
PalmerTech wrote:
brantlew wrote:If a better panel does come available at some point, how difficult do you think it will be to replace the current panel? Would it require a total redesign of the optics and packaging or do you think it could "more-or-less" be a drop-in that any of us DIY'ers could accomplish?
It would be trivially easy. The most it would need is a new panel mount, which would cost only a few dollars. If a new panel came out, I would probably jump on doing a group buy for people to upgrade.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Yes, i think a second consumer version will definitely have a 6 inch 2.560x1600 panel.
Toshiba presented that display in october 2011 (i think the same was presented at CES 2013 by Sharp - they receive their displays both from Japan Displays).
So a 2. consumer version could likely release in 2016, if 6 inch phablets will sell nicely. :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

KBK wrote: You have a higher level of glucose secretion to your rods and cones than most, it seems. The stutter comes from the persistence effect of the given eye. The higher the glucose secretion to the rod/cone the longer the period of time the signal is sent to the brain.

To help with a visualization, The rods and cones act like balloons that are always being filled via glucose secretion, and then being vented when they intercept a photon of light. The photonic interaction causes them to fire a signal down their individual neural path, and they use up some glucose in that act. The more glucose available to the cone the longer the signal duration is. It is a simple 'just in time delivery' of glucose -system.

People with a lower level of glucose secretion to the rods and cones via tiredness (physical exhaustion) or natural genetic design, they will have different perceptions and sensitivities. This difference by genetic design tends to dictate preferences in how a given person wants an image to appear. A combination of tastes and learning, due to one's own genetic design. When very very tired and blood sugar is lower, and metabolism is slowed, one will note a greater stutter effect and general lessening of capacity to visualize things. This is not just tiredness, it is a lack of capacity to see and to decode. Shut it off. Go to sleep. Eat, rest, and so on. Don't allow it to get that bad, it is unhealthy. :)

Wow - that is interesting, I am a bit sugar addicted and that might be connected to me being less susceptible to stutter? I can hardly believe it, but it makes sense. I rarely have "tired eyes", but you are right that in such cases I am more perceptible. Thank you KBK - from now on my friends will get a big piece of cake before I turn on the DLP :D
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

lordvtp wrote:I really did tear up, so sue me.... :?
Some people may not get it but for a lot of us this is a really big deal! I think it's awesome that this could have such an impact on lordvtp & Palmer and team should be proud!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

DrZimmerman wrote:I'm still hoping that the new Nexus 7 will be a perfect match for the Rift DevKit but there are a lot of "ifs". The current Nexus 7 has a 7 inch Hydis display (same manufacturer as the 5.6 inch Rift screen) and according to the iFixit teardown it has a LVDS interface. If the new one has a similar configuration but with the rumored 1080p resolution it would be great an we could see a 1080p DevKit by June. But Murphy's law will probably make it that this display will be perfect in every way but have a Mipi interface or something else that makes it impossible to use it for the Rift. :lol: When the Rift was still a DIY project Palmer talked about providing easy upgrade options but I think Oculus might have other priorities now :
PalmerTech wrote:
brantlew wrote:If a better panel does come available at some point, how difficult do you think it will be to replace the current panel? Would it require a total redesign of the optics and packaging or do you think it could "more-or-less" be a drop-in that any of us DIY'ers could accomplish?
It would be trivially easy. The most it would need is a new panel mount, which would cost only a few dollars. If a new panel came out, I would probably jump on doing a group buy for people to upgrade.

For actual devs, this would probably become critical. They'd need to have at least one 1080P unit in the publishing offices in order to check their work. To know exactly HOW it looks and feels with the higher rez. Assumptions based on experience can be the most dangerous kinds of extended projection. They can lead one further down foolish avenues than ignorance. The intelligent and experienced person has to work harder in this area, not less.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

sambeckett wrote:I can't get the head tracking to work in any software :( The official reporting issues forum is @ https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=34
Did you try rebooting your computer with the Rift USB cable attached? Mine was not detected by Win7 until I rebooted. Now it works.
AlienHack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlienHack »

So as someone else already asked. Hawked is already released as a beta. Isn't there a way to turn vr on?
Maybe the company that makes it will release a patch for oculus enabling? It is a shame if we have to wait until the games release on mid summer to get the oculus support.
MichaelH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MichaelH »

sambeckett wrote:I can't get the head tracking to work in any software :( The official reporting issues forum is @ https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=34

I also can't keep the headset on for more than one minute without getting quasey. Even after setting it up in TF2. How are you supposed to test each eye? I can't close right eye so I had to put a piece of paper blocking the view during the setup.

During the test they should black out the other eye so you can keep it open.
Maybe send them an email explaining. Also, why can you not close your eye?
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

MichaelH wrote:Maybe send them an email explaining. Also, why can you not close your eye?
not sure what I did, but I got it working.

It is hard to close your weaker eye without effecting the vision of the other eye. Which is made harder to do with the glasses on.

After playing TF2 for like 20 minutes, I feel very sick a few hours later :(
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

sambeckett wrote:
MichaelH wrote:Maybe send them an email explaining. Also, why can you not close your eye?
not sure what I did, but I got it working.

It is hard to close your weaker eye without effecting the vision of the other eye. Which is made harder to do with the glasses on.

After playing TF2 for like 20 minutes, I feel very sick a few hours later :(
I remember I used to get that when I very first started playing FPS games with Wolfenstein 3d and doom, I would literally play for 20 minutes then have to go and lie down for a while, then of course I went straight back to it....

Hopefully its a similar sort of thing i.e. your brain adapts after x hours of play and then you're fine.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Interesting idea, but I'd imagine you'd throw up pretty quick.

I also remember playing the first Bowser stage on the ceiling with my DIY projector back in the day (overhead projector lens bolted to an old monitor with cardboard around it to keep the stray light in).

Even just that experience made me feel unwell, and I don't get travel sick.

(btw, just trying to get Project 64 working with the VireIO Perception wrapper. :D )

I hope you succeed in adding compatibility to the wrapper. Please let us know of your progress.

Someone should try and add compatibility with the Dolphin emulator too. In theory emulators use the same rendering process for all games, don't they? So one has to add VireIO compatibility to the emulator rendering engine, potentially adding support for every game playable on it.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Just to confirm, I don't have any connection to (Cybereality's) VireIO project, and I'm not so experienced with Windoze C programming (mainly PIC / AVR etc.).
I'm just having a play with the source code on Visual Studio, but it's a bit over my head tbh.

I did try Project64 with different DirectX / OpenGL graphics plugins earlier, but it doesn't seem to work with VireIO as yet?

Hopefully VireIO will be made to work with almost any 3D game / app eventually.

I definitely intend on trying to mod the Hydis panel for backlight strobing though...
The RTD2662 chip (used on the Rift Dev AFAIK) can output TTL Vsync on pin 97 apparently; it should then just be a case of generating a pulse for the backlight after each full frame has been drawn.
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

Okta wrote:Anyone get their TF2 hat?
I was wondering how to get the hat.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Oneironaut wrote:Couple videos of interest:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw8FstuPTR0[/youtube-hd]

The bottom one is a demo I just put up yesterday to test on a tablet. Sorry the framerate looks so bad it was just a quick test I did. Was suprised you saw it, glad you found interest in it :)
Tummler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tummler »

Theoretically, could a 5" display somehow work? By moving the screen closer to the eyes and/or modifying the lens cups?

Sharp and Samsung are (supposedly) already mass-manufacturing 1080p 5" screens with 400+ ppi.

The Sharp panel is used in the Droid DNA and the pixel density is pretty impressive:

Image Source
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I really hope a screen replacement is possible because after spending some time with this, the resolution and especially the screen door effect are pretty distracting for me. Still very cool, though.
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

KBK wrote:

For actual devs, this would probably become critical. They'd need to have at least one 1080P unit in the publishing offices in order to check their work. To know exactly HOW it looks and feels with the higher rez. Assumptions based on experience can be the most dangerous kinds of extended projection. They can lead one further down foolish avenues than ignorance. The intelligent and experienced person has to work harder in this area, not less.

This would be the case for any functionality or spec change with the consumer version - screen size / FoV change, resolution change, positional tracking additions.

They'd either need to be released as updates for the dev version, or there would need to be an early release of the consumer version or devs at let a few months before retail release for testing/tweaking
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

Tummler wrote:Theoretically, could a 5" display somehow work? By moving the screen closer to the eyes and/or modifying the lens cups?

Sharp and Samsung are (supposedly) already mass-manufacturing 1080p 5" screens with 400+ ppi.

The Sharp panel is used in the Droid DNA and the pixel density is pretty impressive:

Image Source
I want this on my eyeballs right now.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

5.6 inch diagonal on a 16:9 screen is getting near the limit for me, but optimal for the bulk of the population. I'd prefer 7" diagonal with extra FOV, as I'm 7.1cm IPD, which is higher than the norm.

5" is too small for everyone.

Also AMOLED panel at 5" is not really 1080p. It's a fabrication of a specification.

Everything you can think of has been covered already by a plethora of widely informed brains that are riding hard - in overdrive.
Juste1221
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Juste1221 »

Anyone know the diopter corrections of the B and C lenses? My prescription is -3.5 and I suspect C is even stronger as I can clearly see the individual RGB make up of the pixels and the black inter spacing obviously looks like a literal screen door. B is barely noticeable over no correction for me. Also, looking all the way down and to the sides, is it normal to be able to see out the breathing vents and the space of the nose cut? I'm able to even with the housing full compressed and my lashes touching the lenses. Finally, are Tuscany and TF2 the only official samples at the moment?
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Juste1221 wrote:Anyone know the diopter corrections of the B and C lenses?
We still don't have an official word on this? It's not mentioned in the documentation or anything? I've heard people say the eyecups are all the same diopter adjustment, each set varying the distance between the lenses and the screen rather than the prescription, but even that seems unconfirmed. Can anyone give us the official scoop on the eyecups?

Tuscany and TF2 do seem to be the only "official" demos available at the moment. UDK support is still in the pipe, Hawken apparently hasn't released its VR mode to the public yet, and to my knowledge there isn't anything else utilizing the Unity engine. Don't hold your breath, though - a big part of what's going to make these next few months so exciting will be all the unofficial demos cropping up constantly. Go join the Oculus Developer Center if you haven't already; there may already be a few things floating around in there that haven't been posted here.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

KBK wrote: I'd prefer 7" diagonal with extra FOV, as I'm 7.1cm IPD, which is higher than the norm.
I'm about 6.3cm IPD. What exactly is the average?
German

Post by German »

Juste1221 wrote:Anyone know the diopter corrections of the B and C lenses? My prescription is -3.5 and I suspect C is even stronger as I can clearly see the individual RGB make up of the pixels and the black inter spacing obviously looks like a literal screen door. B is barely noticeable over no correction for me. Also, looking all the way down and to the sides, is it normal to be able to see out the breathing vents and the space of the nose cut? I'm able to even with the housing full compressed and my lashes touching the lenses.
I experience all of this with the A lenses without wearing my glasses which are a very weak prescription in one eye for astigmatism. You quickly ignore the breathing vents and nose cutout light but the screen door is always going to be there.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Machinima wrote:
KBK wrote: I'd prefer 7" diagonal with extra FOV, as I'm 7.1cm IPD, which is higher than the norm.
I'm about 6.3cm IPD. What exactly is the average?
I believe 6.3cm is the average in america, it depends on where in the world you are.
Riftoholic

Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

GeraldT wrote:
KBK wrote: You have a higher level of glucose secretion to your rods and cones than most, it seems. The stutter comes from the persistence effect of the given eye. The higher the glucose secretion to the rod/cone the longer the period of time the signal is sent to the brain.

Wow - that is interesting, I am a bit sugar addicted and that might be connected to me being less susceptible to stutter? I can hardly believe it, but it makes sense. I rarely have "tired eyes", but you are right that in such cases I am more perceptible. Thank you KBK - from now on my friends will get a big piece of cake before I turn on the DLP :D
Never really thought about this, but I'm the exact oppisite - I eat a keto diet, so it's like 65-70%fat, 30% protein and <20g carbs/day. Basically, everything that uses glucose in me now uses ketonic acid. I am curious if will effect me in any way.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Most affordable solutions for pupilary distance measurements... beats sending people to the ophthalmologist every time you wanna demo the rift:

http://www.optometrial.com/pupilometers ... ruler-pd40

http://www.appbrain.com/app/pupil-dista ... tancemeter

I just dloaded the smartphone app... dunno how accurate it is, tho
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Namielus wrote:I believe 6.3cm is the average in america, it depends on where in the world you are.
Wikipedia has a chart with a reasonably large sample size, but this was from 1988 and the participants were only people in the US military, so the geometry of the average dogface and 20+ years of evolution may have skewed these results somewhat:

Code: Select all

m/f	n	 mean	 sd	min	max  1st  5th  50th 95th 99th
m	1771	64.7	 3.7	52	78	57	59	65    71	74
f	2205	62.3	 3.6	52	76	55	57	62    69	71
And because the metric system is the tool of the devil:

Code: Select all

m/f	n	 mean	sd	  min 	max	 1st	 5th	 50th	95th	99th
m	1771	2.55	0.15	2.05	3.07	2.24	2.32	2.56	2.80	2.91
f	2205	2.45	0.14	2.05	2.99	2.17	2.24	2.44	2.72	2.80
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Drewbdoo wrote: Never really thought about this, but I'm the exact oppisite - I eat a keto diet, so it's like 65-70%fat, 30% protein and <20g carbs/day. Basically, everything that uses glucose in me now uses ketonic acid. I am curious if will effect me in any way.
Please share your results - I am not sure how your diet actually influences this and how much is just genetics, but I was thinking about a Keto diet myself since I have seen a friend getting great results.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

jack612 wrote:I really hope a screen replacement is possible because after spending some time with this, the resolution and especially the screen door effect are pretty distracting for me. Still very cool, though.
I used the short lens cups for awhile and then switched to the longest ones. Although I lost focus, I gained many more visible pixels (perhaps twice as many). And less focus just means less screendoor effect, with individual pixels still visible but slightly fuzzy and toucher their neighbors (shrinking the screendoor pixel separation). I will use these longer lens cups for awhile, because they give me maximum FoV, which is more important than sharp square pixels.

More pixels would be better, so I think it is important to not waste the ones we have, by using the short lens cups or pushing the display farther away.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

GeraldT wrote:
Drewbdoo wrote: Never really thought about this, but I'm the exact oppisite - I eat a keto diet, so it's like 65-70%fat, 30% protein and <20g carbs/day. Basically, everything that uses glucose in me now uses ketonic acid. I am curious if will effect me in any way.
Please share your results - I am not sure how your diet actually influences this and how much is just genetics, but I was thinking about a Keto diet myself since I have seen a friend getting great results.
I highly highly highly recommend it. I was overweight my whole life and have tried everything, even Atkins, and nothing worked like keto. I went from 290lbs on may 1 of last year to 199 by mid November with no hunger and the only extra exercise being a bike ride every other day or so. This isn't the place to go on about it, but I'd certainly be willing to give you a much longer report if you're interested. Just pm me on reddit (same sn) or email me @ drewbdoo@gmail.com. It's the only thing I'm more fans tidal about than the rift :)
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Wow, up until now I had been playing the Tuscany demo sitting down at my desk with my hands on my keyboard and my mouse but I just tried it standing up with a wireless Xbox 360 controller and the difference in immersion is pretty amazing.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

jack612 wrote:Wow, up until now I had been playing the Tuscany demo sitting down at my desk with my hands on my keyboard and my mouse but I just tried it standing up with a wireless Xbox 360 controller and the difference in immersion is pretty amazing.
I second that (based on DIY rift experience)
the experience really is on a whole other level
Riftoholic

Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

EAPidgeon wrote:
Tummler wrote:Theoretically, could a 5" display somehow work? By moving the screen closer to the eyes and/or modifying the lens cups?

Image Source
I want this on my eyeballs right now.
The HTC Droid DNA is indeed perhaps the best mass produced screen there is at the moment. As each pixel is divided into several subpixels, it looks incredibly smooth with very little screen door effect. Even close up compared to an Iphone 5, the results are quite telling.

(HTC Droid DNA above, iphone 5 below)

Return to “Oculus VR”