Post by cybereality »

Convrge.net is good enough.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: OculusCon 2013. --> "ConVRge"

Post by KBK »

isolate it completely.

grab the .org while you're at it.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by rmcclelland »

ConVRge is awesome. Just the clever thing I wanted to think of but didn't.

Hard so image it now, but this could be a huge gathering one day, that rivals E3 or MWC. There are so many aspects to VR and AR.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Got convrge.net and convrge.org.

Now we get ready to conVRge!

Regards,
Neil
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Great job Neil!

It all started with a dream...
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

+1 :mrgreen:

A day for the geek history books!
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Neil wrote:Got convrge.net and convrge.org.

Now we get ready to conVRge!
awesome - so when and where? I would say some central position in Europe would be perfect, like Austria :roll:

but seriously, are there any chances for a European version?
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I would say we wait until late 2013. That way we give developers time to create stuff for the Rift, or the Leap, or whatever else people are messing around with.

Also, a lot of the big conferences seem to be near the beginning of the year (CES, GDC, etc.) so maybe something later would get more attention.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think it has to start in the US because this is where most of our contacts are based, Oculus is based here, and it's a lot more practical to put together for the first time around. However, I have some ideas I need to test out to make sure our European friends are included.

I honestly haven't been this excited since I convinced my wife to let me launch MTBS. The vision is coming together, and I really think this will be achievable with the right people and companies involved.

I think 2013 is a touch too soon. The SDK's aren't in people's hands yet, and there is a lot to prepare for. Maybe this would be the event for Palmer to showcase the consumer version or its prototypes? Also, there is other stuff coming down the pipe that should be at ConVRge too, and they also need time. Finally, I think there are going to be problems and challenges discovered along the way. I think people need a chance to learn what they need to learn about (i.e. learn that they need to learn more!) so there is good cause for people to be at ConVRge, and have exciting things to talk about. People haven't even had to chance to experiment with VR, let alone talk about it.

Is early to mid-2014 reasonable or too late? I will investigate.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah. Maybe 2014 makes more sense. Give developers more time to get their stuff together.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Maybe 2014 will be the first time I visit the US then ... please time it with something else worth visiting!

And who knows, we might be able to do some VR teleconferencing from a parallel event in Europe. Especially if there are some European companies that would be interested in joining.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The name can stand for:

CONference of VR GEeks
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

cybereality wrote:CONference of VR GEeks
that will be the version I will save to my brain for sure ^^ ... not the one I would advertise to potentially attending companies though.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, it was somewhat of a joke.
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

I think ConVRge is perfect!! Bravo everyone on working this out! ConVRge could even have a Virtual conference for those that can't make it there in person! Really exciting stuff. It's great being alive to witness the rebirth of Virtual Reality and to be able to participate & share ideas with it's enthusiasts and developers all over the world!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

ConVRge is a great name - if we are all contributing to buy URL's, consider me down for a contribution.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

cybereality wrote:Yeah. Maybe 2014 makes more sense. Give developers more time to get their stuff together.

You'll have to spend a while looking at dates for all other shows. It needs to be properly spaced, so that the prime attendee target group can attend easily and comfortably. To space it between shows, holidays, and other such things. easy to travel to, cheap to stay, non puke carpets and non-moldy/stinky hotels and conference spaces, etc. Good vibes locations and good vibes timing are important.

For example, early fall, is about right, seasonal game releases, and so on. CES is in Jan, as that is the time when the holiday crowd has thinned a bit and everyone is free to attend. It grew out of that and a need to fill the hotels.

Sept-through Oct is nice, as the 'kick off' for the 'inside season' is considered to be back to school time. Possibly, the closer it is to November, which has sort of become the prime game release period (console wars), may be the better bet. If it becomes popular enough, major title releases gatherings/parties may end up happening there, instead. That it might grow up to be multi-purpose, with the major aspect being VR.

do it right,and it may get big in a few short years.

Indianapolis, for example, is known to be fairly OK for shows,and they certainly have a need to fill the hotels for their off show time periods. Deals abound.

This is all jumping the gun a bit, but it gives an idea of how the situation needs be planned so it can grow into something. To check the yearly weather patterns in the potential areas, for 'averages' (what the weather has been like, historically year on year) in the possible show-time periods, as this is getting close to winter, as one nears November.

Let's all be quiet about .com and try and snipe it at the last second.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
drifter

Post by drifter »

PalmerFest was better, but ok let's go for conVRge

I agree also that combining forces with another big convention would be the best to get the most people possible.
Well at least for the first session...

While we're at it, why not try to create a logo conVRge ?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

The red/cyan VR is cute, but remember, we're trying to distance ourselves from those days!

I propose it should take place in Los Angeles somewhere (maybe even the LA convention center if we can get big enough!). It's where Siggraph is, it's not too far away from Oculus HQ, I live here, the scenery and settings are gaurunteed to be nice any time of year etc.

By the way, I'm really loving the name. It takes VR and splices it with a futuristic verb in a way that's not even corny! It's cool!
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

GeraldT wrote:
that will be the version I will save to my brain for sure ^^ ... not the one I would advertise to potentially attending companies though.
Be proud to be a geek. 8-)
drifter

Post by drifter »

zalo wrote:The red/cyan VR is cute, but remember, we're trying to distance ourselves from those days!
The red/cyan could be a tribute to our roots ? Good question...
GeraldT wrote:
"CON" is more fore convention than conference I think...
"GE" could be for GEneration, or GEars... (or GEnitors, or GEntlemen, lol)
CONvention of VR GEsticulations :mrgreen:
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

COnvention of New VR GEneration

In any case +1 for the ConVRge
drifter

Post by drifter »

Cromfel wrote:COnvention of New VR GEneration
Yep it's better ! Or COnvention for a New VR GEneration...
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I actually prefer CONvention for the VR GEneration

It's kind of saying that VR starts now. Like someone finally got it right.

Which is true. In a few weeks there will be more people playing with VR than probably the last thirty years combined.
drifter

Post by drifter »

CONvention for the VR GEneration, yes it's catchy, it's like everything remains to be done, or almost...
Neil

Post by Neil »

drifter wrote:CONvention for the VR GEneration, yes it's catchy, it's like everything remains to be done, or almost...
That's pretty good. I have someone working on a logo, but keep the ideas coming. As with everything on MTBS, member input and ideas will likely inspire us!

Regards,
Neil
drifter

Post by drifter »

Neil wrote:I have someone working on a logo
We have also a few artists around there which could be inspired...

What element can we incorporate for a striking logo :
- an HMD (not necessarly the Rift, could be stylised)
- red & cyan colors (not necessarly effective stereo effect), or another stereo element (side-by-side, pseudo-polarization, etc.)
- a 3d software UI element (3d grid, XYZ gizmo, etc.)
- something even more schematic or abstract ?
- Keanue Reeve's face
- ... ?
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I guess avoiding an early '90s look with the logo is a priority; we don't want a logo that would look at home advertising "ConVRge '91".
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

Coining some ideas what theme it could be. I dont know how far I got from 90s though :lol:
ConVRge.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Cromfel wrote:Coining some ideas what theme it could be. I dont know how far I got from 90s though :lol:
ConVRge.png
After looking at it for a bit it is pretty neat, but my initial reaction was that it was just really messy
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

Mystify wrote:
Cromfel wrote:Coining some ideas what theme it could be. I dont know how far I got from 90s though :lol:
ConVRge.png
After looking at it for a bit it is pretty neat, but my initial reaction was that it was just really messy
I think something very sleek with the axis system as the V could work out very well. Downloading blender to test out something around that idea.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I was thinking of a very simple font with the VR in a Matrix-esque 0 1 pattern.

Could even have the 0 1 actually write the slogan in binary
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Don't have photoshop with me so used an in-browser image editor, just some vague ideas I had. Apologies for rushed nature.
convrge2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PinkTyGRR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PinkTyGRR »

This is brilliant! I don't have much to contribute to the discussion thus far but i'd like to say that this is awesome and i'd probably go if its in the states. Love the name too
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Threw this together in Paint. Would look better in HiRez.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This stuff is looking good!

There have already been some private meetings about this, and I'm growing more and more confident that we will be able to pull this off. If we play our cards right, I think ConVRge will be something MTBS' membership and the growing immersive technology industry will be proud to be part of.

While there are already several VR and 3D conferences in the market, the vision is coming together for something that is 180 degrees apart from what is and has already been put together. I've been to and spoken at a lot of conferences over the years, and what excites me most is we are on to something completely different.

Thank you all for coming together on this. MTBS would not be here if it wasn't for your continued support, ideas, and willingness to try new things. This is arguably the most ambitious thing we have ever done on MTBS, and I'm really hopeful the members and industry will back us up when we need it most, and help bring this developing vision to fruition.

At this time, the location of choice is Los Angeles, though this is just a starting point! ;)

Regards,
Neil
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Looks like I'll be convincing my wife that we need a Disneyland trip!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

conVRge.png
just a quick shot for fun
Last edited by GeraldT on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Damn you West Coasters! I've got friends and work in L.A. - perhaps the universe is telling me to move away from Charlotte. Oh wait, it's been doing that for 29 years...
Flassan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Flassan »

conVRge is a great idea! A chance for people to try out and discuss the various projects is very welcome.
Many members would probably prefer to spend on kit than travel so every effort should probably be made to make it affordable. Neil, can you arrange University halls/accommodation outside term time? In some hotels if you stay over a Saturday night its much cheaper and flights to places like Boston, NY, Orlando tend to be more competitive.

Return to “Oculus VR”