Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by AntonieB »

Nah.. they would post a kickstarter update when they started shipping. I don't see any kickstarter post yet so I dont think anything is shipped yet.

It would be really strange if they start handing out Rifts to all kind of ppl but not the kickstarter backers. Sure a few vip's is not a problem at all but shipping all first batch rifts to 'vips' would be very strange.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

joakizmo wrote:They probably don't want youtube unboxing videos and reviews hit the net just before their first official appearance. If I were running the show, I'd actually wait until after GDC. This way they would keep building the hype, while having full control over the actual first impressions. However we may feel about it, it's wise for the future of Oculus and thus wise for the future of VR.

I wanted my Rift twenty years ago, I wanted it ten years ago, I wanted it in my hands before Christmas 2012, I want it in my hands right now and I'm quite okay with waiting just another week, just so Oculus can showcase the Rift and have the best possible first official appearance at GDC.
Yes, if it was me, I'd do similar. Or try, in some way. to time both so they hit simultaneously.

It's a tough line to wiggle across and around. Both parties need be satisfied.

Suffice it to say, the first pitch should be controlled and placed 'precisely so'. It is only prudent.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

On Sunday we were told we had 24 hours to make sure our shipping details were correct...

Monday... We were teased(via Facebook) that the kits may start shipping on that day and we should get ready to send in boxing photos.

We were also promised a torrent of updates this week.

Its now Wednesday, This silence is killing me.
joakizmo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by joakizmo »

ja30278 wrote:a ton of dev kits in people's hands before GDC
jaybug wrote:If you want to get real nitpicky about it, a "ton" of dev kits means about 325 dev kits.
alekki wrote:A ton of VIP devs might already have Rifts.
<insert cruel joke>
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

I will take a picture of mine once I get it. (pre-kickstarter backer)

But I have yet to receive any notice of shipping or updates.

This week I have gotten ready and purchased and installed:
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty MW3
and several other games....
LazyDodo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LazyDodo »

digitaljohn wrote:We were also promised a torrent of updates this week.
Silence?

Monday: TF2 / Valve news
Tuesday: *TONS* of Dev Kit pictures and some video's of it.
Wednesday: nothing...... (yet?)

Sure none of the news is what you desperately want most: a tracking number of your rift, but you can't say this week has been silent news wise.
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

sambeckett wrote:I will take a picture of mine once I get it. (pre-kickstarter backer)

This week I have gotten ready and purchased and installed:
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty MW3
and several other games....

Why call of duty? Is that patched/supported?
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

LazyDodo wrote:
digitaljohn wrote:We were also promised a torrent of updates this week.
Silence?

Monday: TF2 / Valve news
Tuesday: *TONS* of Dev Kit pictures and some video's of it.
Wednesday: nothing...... (yet?)

Sure none of the news is what you desperately want most: a tracking number of your rift, but you can't say this week has been silent news wise.
I'm looking for updates that would make a difference to me as a developer. It's nice to know TF2 is supported but that's really going to appeal to regular gamers rather than devs. I want to know more about the SDK primarily.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

digitaljohn wrote: I'm looking for updates that would make a difference to me as a developer. It's nice to know TF2 is supported but that's really going to appeal to regular gamers rather than devs. I want to know more about the SDK primarily.

YES me tooo! I don't care about shipping, I want access to the SDK.. I don't understand why they wouldn't release it now.
sambeckett
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sambeckett »

Vamplifire wrote:Why call of duty? Is that patched/supported?
I don't know, just hopping it will work I guess :)
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

Maybe the shipping will be done so that all from the first batch arrive at the same day? So ship east cost first and west cost last... could this be possible?
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

Okta wrote:W00000000000000000T.

Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!!

:woot
Soo...whatever happened to this? Joke?
Skylead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Skylead »

ja30278 wrote:

Just had a nice present arrive at the door. Had a quick opening, its awseome. Will do a detailed report once i get home from work and have a play!!!

Soo...whatever happened to this? Joke?

He may have gotten a gag order messaged to him until more kits get out. Alternatively he is locked in SAO and won't be out for two years.
atb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by atb »

Wonder if they shipped out the first 4000-5000 units on Monday (and have yet to update people's order status). That way it would match up with their hope that a lot of people would have units by the start of GDC. Also kind of jives with their production schedule: http://www.oculusvr.com/wp-content/uplo ... rt_800.png
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Something I noticed...the prekickstarter backers have gone silent. They were raising hell a few days ago. I think we can safely assume they got their tracking numbers.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Their silence is infuriating. :woot
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

oculusfan wrote:Something I noticed...the prekickstarter backers have gone silent. They were raising hell a few days ago. I think we can safely assume they got their tracking numbers.
That's what i said :lol:
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Pingles wrote:Their silence is infuriating. :woot
I think whats worse than not knowing the shipping schedule is not knowing how many they are actually planning to ship. I'm Order ID 004514 and I have no idea if that means I should expect to get one shipped out in the first batch or not.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

oculusfan wrote:Something I noticed...the prekickstarter backers have gone silent. They were raising hell a few days ago. I think we can safely assume they got their tracking numbers.
sambeckett wrote:I will take a picture of mine once I get it. (pre-kickstarter backer)
[...]

[...]
Mel

Post by Mel »

False sense of safety you have there. :)

(I'm a preemie, and I got nothin').
bobo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bobo »

If I were one for unfounded speculation... I would wonder if they sent them out Monday or Tuesday with a scheduled delivery (like Apple did with the IPhones) so everyone in the batch that's going out would get them on the same day, maybe Friday, Saturday, or Monday... :?:
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I can't imagine them shipping without a tracking number.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Honestly the silence is driving me insane lol. Constantly checking the status of my order to see if i made it into the first batch. I hope that the 10K Nate mentioned is pretty damn close to what they are actually shipping so i can get my rift without waiting an extra month. That would just put me right into the first batch. Would really love a confirmed shipment count!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Just counting down the days in anticipation. When that counter went negative, anxiety and obsessive compulsion began. The counter will wrap around to zero again any day now (RSN)... :lol:

Then the OCD will attain satisfaction and open the floodgates to multi-mania.
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

I just wish they would announce something about shipping so I can quit compulsively refreshing and get some work done.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Let's not forget Okta. Either we have something interesting happening or we owe Okta a sock in the virtual nose.
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

jack612 wrote:I just wish they would announce something about shipping so I can quit compulsively refreshing and get some work done.
Bah. Me too. Waiting around for the shipping announcement is destroying my work productivity. I really wish they'd either given a concrete date, or said nothing at all until the thing was in the mail.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

considering they said that they would be shipping before GDC and its only days away id hope to hear something by now. i wont be in the first batch for sure..just ordered a week ago but still. be nice to know they are getting the ball rolling so that us preorders will get it not too long too. and on the plus side hopefully theyll release the sdk and docs and make a dev forum so everyone can share what they are doing.......ugh hurry up!
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

In bed trying to sleep. Every ping sound my phone I have to check. Not good.

The last 3 days have been longer than the last 3 month wait.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

They're all in the main office with Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and MTBS open and giggling their asses off. I JUST KNOW IT!
phoenix96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phoenix96 »

It seems pretty clear that the "ton of dev kits" in backers' hands before GDC is going to be another missed deadline. Waiting for the SDK to be ready? Problems with logistics? Too busy showing the Rift off to the press? Decided delaying shipment until after GDC starts would be better PR? Who knows.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Amazingly, I have not given up hope. Tomorrow or the next day. I'm sure of it.

Sincerely, a pathetic optimist...
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

What i think may have happened is that they've been so busy lately that they havent had the time to post an update regarding shipping, and havent updated the shipping statuses yet. Hopefully anyways.
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

I could not wait for the dev kits so I made my own DIY 7'' but have nothing to do with it yet.

I am a developer looking at CryEngine (it has pretty good out of the box stereo rendering but a way away from being Rift friendly).

Anyone have a good estimate on when the SDK will be available?
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

IGameArt wrote:What i think may have happened is that they've been so busy lately that they havent had the time to post an update regarding shipping, and havent updated the shipping statuses yet. Hopefully anyways.
This is my suspicion as well, although I won't be getting mine till May (but better then July!) :lol:
ja30278
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ja30278 »

IGameArt wrote:What i think may have happened is that they've been so busy lately that they havent had the time to post an update regarding shipping, and havent updated the shipping statuses yet. Hopefully anyways.
I dunno..the start of shipping is a pretty 'big deal' for any project, so I can't see them being too busy to announce it. It's starting to feel like they'll be pushed into next week, for whatever reason. :\
rwurdig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rwurdig »

I know what happened, the guys from UPS opened a couple of boxs and are playing non stop, and then they forget to delivery the boxes.....
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

My VERY VERY OPTIMISTIC guess is, the second batch is going to arrive at their office any second now, and they want to ship both at the same time so every Kcickstarter backer gets his (or her?) kit around the same time.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

I think we all need to learn the ways of manifestation so we can send our vibrations into the universe to manifest our desires. I watched a whole 5 hour documentary on this. Couldnt hurt lol.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Red alert!

Nerdy tech heads are turning to the gods.

danger zone. :P

Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “Oculus VR”